The future of Manny Diaz in context to Mark Richt

Would we just move Kul up to DC and hire a LB coach in? So long as he runs a similar system I’d be cool with that move.

Advertisement
Mark Richt and Manny Diaz's careers are starting to draw some parallels. Richt served as FSU's offensive coordinator under B. Bowden from 1990-2000, or from the time he was 30-40 years old (currently 57). In those 10 years at Florida State Richt's system reinvigorated FSU's offensive system and paired with the defensive mind of Bowden won them the 1993 and 1999 National Championships. In 2001, at 41 years old, Richt took his first head coaching job and the rest is history, 2 SEC titles, 6 SEC East titles, and finished in the top 10 for seven of his fourteen years of coaching. Today Manny Diaz is 43 years old, two years older than when Richt took his first head coaching job. Like Richt, Manny's new system has reinvigorated the canes, and in only the second year the team has won its first ACC Coastal Title. We don't know the outcome of this season yet, but we do know that Diaz is getting a lot of the credit for Miami's success, and the turnover chain's success is linked (hehe) back to him. I personally don't see Manny spending 10 years as an assistant. He's nominated for the Broyles award in his second year coaching at UM, and like any young hungry person will want to build his career. Miami is trending no-where but up at the moment and it will only be a matter of time before we win our 6th national title. As much as I wish we could just lock-step his salary and keep him forever, the clock is ticking on Diaz, the question is how many seasons do we have left? If we do in fact win a national title this year, do we have any chance at keeping him from being lured away to a Tennessee or UF with a 7 digit salary?

13414A0E-7226-406C-A6EA-2AD7FDDFDB81.gif

A little premature to speculate on him.leaving. Not saying he will not be mentioned for an opening for next season but several already open and his name not brought up yet. Just my thoughts but I think he needs at least 1 more good season here before he is a candidate for a decent power 5 job

Advertisement
There's something to be said for making less money, but having a lot easier job and less pressure. He's also learning from a good head coach in the process.

We could maybe think he is a Bud Foster type of guy. I talked to Coach Foster at Vag tech's football clinic 7 years ago (our head coach was a vag tech grad) and asked him why he hasn't left to be a head coach. His reply was very simple, I have a great boss and love what I do right now. He told me he had entertained some jobs, but was too happy at tech. So, maybe Coach Diaz will stay at UM until Coach Richt decides to hang it up. You just never know with these guys. I mean, I'm sure Coach Kool has had coordinator offers, yet here he is at the U building the best DL in college football. Besides, there were some "defensive experts" on here when he was hired saying he shouldn't have gotten the job.

Man I miss paragraphs.

lol I'm in college 250 words is a paragraph

This looks cleaner and makes for an easier read. I've added a paragraph break to separate the historical/establishment context from the present/future conjecture.

Mark Richt and Manny Diaz's careers are starting to draw some parallels. Richt served as FSU's offensive coordinator under B. Bowden from 1990-2000, or from the time he was 30-40 years old (currently 57). In those 10 years at Florida State Richt's system reinvigorated FSU's offensive system and paired with the defensive mind of Bowden won them the 1993 and 1999 National Championships. In 2001, at 41 years old, Richt took his first head coaching job and the rest is history, 2 SEC titles, 6 SEC East titles, and finished in the top 10 for seven of his fourteen years of coaching.

Today Manny Diaz is 43 years old, two years older than when Richt took his first head coaching job. Like Richt, Manny's new system has reinvigorated the canes, and in only the second year the team has won its first ACC Coastal Title. We don't know the outcome of this season yet, but we do know that Diaz is getting a lot of the credit for Miami's success, and the turnover chain's success is linked (hehe) back to him. I personally don't see Manny spending 10 years as an assistant. He's nominated for the Broyles award in his second year coaching at UM, and like any young hungry person will want to build his career. Miami is trending no-where but up at the moment and it will only be a matter of time before we win our 6th national title. As much as I wish we could just lock-step his salary and keep him forever, the clock is ticking on Diaz, the question is how many seasons do we have left? If we do in fact win a national title this year, do we have any chance at keeping him from being lured away to a Tennessee or UF with a 7 digit salary?

Advertisement
First, we have posters trying to push all the good juniors out the door. Now we have posters trying to push good assistant coaches out the door.

Why?

Can't we finish this season off first?

Let the team hoist the trophy and then revisit this later if you feel like it.

That HCIW stuff makes me nervous b/c it's never as good as it sounds. Nobody is really in charge, etc. I mean, I'm all for it if they get along well and Manny gets along with Kul. But, one drawback is that we can lose a guy like Kul or anyone else that does not necessarily see eye to eye with Manny.

That HCIW stuff makes me nervous b/c it's never as good as it sounds. Nobody is really in charge, etc. I mean, I'm all for it if they get along well and Manny gets along with Kul. But, one drawback is that we can lose a guy like Kul or anyone else that does not necessarily see eye to eye with Manny.
Wouldn't that be the case anyway? He's the DC and is given a good amount of autonomy over the defense. If his subordinates don't see eye to eye with him, we can "lose" any of them. Luckily, when Richt hired Kul, he found a DC with a perfectly complementary system to Kul's DL style. I think Richt knows what he wants in a defense and Kul would always be a common denominator to whatever system or philosophy is brought in.

I'd like him to be the HCIW. Just give that man 7 figures and keep this train chugging.

Papa Shaq suggested that this is exactly the case the other day.

THIS after next season.

Why would Richt leave after next season? This is what I don't get with the HCIW stuff for Diaz. You get a HCIW if your HC is 70 year old Bobby Bowden or Mack Brown. Richt is just getting started. I see no reason why Richt won't still be the HC 5 years from now, if not longer, maybe even much longer. I think we get another year from Diaz and then he gets a good power 5 offer to be HC. Richt isn't going anywhere, though.

Advertisement
As young as this defense is, I'd be shocked if he left due to the huge potential for these kids, even more so than our current successes.

Mark Richt and Manny Diaz's careers are starting to draw some parallels. Richt served as FSU's offensive coordinator under B. Bowden from 1990-2000, or from the time he was 30-40 years old (currently 57). In those 10 years at Florida State Richt's system reinvigorated FSU's offensive system and paired with the defensive mind of Bowden won them the 1993 and 1999 National Championships. In 2001, at 41 years old, Richt took his first head coaching job and the rest is history, 2 SEC titles, 6 SEC East titles, and finished in the top 10 for seven of his fourteen years of coaching. Today Manny Diaz is 43 years old, two years older than when Richt took his first head coaching job. Like Richt, Manny's new system has reinvigorated the canes, and in only the second year the team has won its first ACC Coastal Title. We don't know the outcome of this season yet, but we do know that Diaz is getting a lot of the credit for Miami's success, and the turnover chain's success is linked (hehe) back to him. I personally don't see Manny spending 10 years as an assistant. He's nominated for the Broyles award in his second year coaching at UM, and like any young hungry person will want to build his career. Miami is trending no-where but up at the moment and it will only be a matter of time before we win our 6th national title. As much as I wish we could just lock-step his salary and keep him forever, the clock is ticking on Diaz, the question is how many seasons do we have left? If we do in fact win a national title this year, do we have any chance at keeping him from being lured away to a Tennessee or UF with a 7 digit salary?

Bowden's defensive mind was made of one Mickey Andrews, the best defensive coord of his time...

Bowden was never a Defense minded coach. His reputation was built on being a "gunslinger"

Advertisement
If he wins the title, pay the man. Richt, Diaz, Kool, etc. However, the fan base needs to step up and cut the checks when they hoist that trophy.

The thing about Richt is he’s not in it for the money. I could see him foregoing any raise to give the staff huge $$$

I don’t understand the OP’s downvotes. Anyone who has remained loyal and followed a football team, especially a successful one over the years knows that elite level OCs and DCs do not remain at their positions. They get promoted to HC somewhere else. This is nothing new.

The thing about Richt is he’s not in it for the money. I could see him foregoing any raise to give the staff huge $$$

Glancing over your avatar I still see Finnebaum’s dumbass getting all giddy and clowning himself after the NOTRE Dame molestation. Him and the turnover chain...”THE U IS BAAACK BABY”! With that goofy smile on his face. :chuncky:

Advertisement
Back