The future of Manny Diaz in context to Mark Richt

954Cane'21

Recruit
Mark Richt and Manny Diaz's careers are starting to draw some parallels. Richt served as FSU's offensive coordinator under B. Bowden from 1990-2000, or from the time he was 30-40 years old (currently 57). In those 10 years at Florida State Richt's system reinvigorated FSU's offensive system and paired with the defensive mind of Bowden won them the 1993 and 1999 National Championships. In 2001, at 41 years old, Richt took his first head coaching job and the rest is history, 2 SEC titles, 6 SEC East titles, and finished in the top 10 for seven of his fourteen years of coaching. Today Manny Diaz is 43 years old, two years older than when Richt took his first head coaching job. Like Richt, Manny's new system has reinvigorated the canes, and in only the second year the team has won its first ACC Coastal Title. We don't know the outcome of this season yet, but we do know that Diaz is getting a lot of the credit for Miami's success, and the turnover chain's success is linked (hehe) back to him. I personally don't see Manny spending 10 years as an assistant. He's nominated for the Broyles award in his second year coaching at UM, and like any young hungry person will want to build his career. Miami is trending no-where but up at the moment and it will only be a matter of time before we win our 6th national title. As much as I wish we could just lock-step his salary and keep him forever, the clock is ticking on Diaz, the question is how many seasons do we have left? If we do in fact win a national title this year, do we have any chance at keeping him from being lured away to a Tennessee or UF with a 7 digit salary?

Last edited:
Advertisement
I’m not worried about UT or UF stealing him but I’m worried about a school like UCF, who probably will lose Frost, or Mississippi State coming in and stealing him because both those teams have good rosters and can win now. He can go to one of those schools and have an even bigger job two years from now.

That being said that hire(because Manny will leave soon) will be one of the most important in our history.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Manny not going anywhere soon, man was struggling to hold a job until CMR took a chance with him as DC.

I'd like him to be the HCIW. Just give that man 7 figures and keep this train chugging.

Advertisement
He is at least 1 more year away with having a dominating defense to being a flight risk. As was stated before, his track record at other schools isn't pristine

Sometimes when people branch out they struggle. Diaz puts together this scheme that works PERFECT with Miami talent (which they are full of) but tough to mimic with multiple oos kids . Sometimes the grass isn't greener on the otherside. Miami is home and he can realistically be a HC in waiting here if Mark Richt doesn't stay for a decade and I think he stays for a few more good ones. I'm very impressed with the construction of this coaching staff because MR put together a team that could potentially stick together for a bit.

I’m not worried about UT or UF stealing him but I’m worried about a school like UCF, who probably will lose Frost, or Mississippi State coming in and stealing him because both those teams have good rosters and can win now. He can go to one of those schools and have an even bigger job two years from now.

That being said that hire(because Manny will leave soon) will be one of the most important in our history.

manny would be a fool to leave after this year. Do what Smart did at alabama and get a huge job, to your point ready made team to win. I really believe that we will win a few titles are the next 5 years. Richt going to have that championship energy a few more years!

Advertisement
The good thing is Richt is known to take cuts in pay to make sure his assistance are taken care of also. Maybe he gets Diaz to comfortable number in contract and how many more years till he is done. Manny becomes coach in waiting and takes over Miami or leaves for a smaller program to get his feet wet and then returns to Miami after getting experience running his own team.

Advertisement
Lets say Manny has another dominant year next year..what do you guys think about offering him the ole' "Jimbo Fisher/Dabo Swinney-Coach in waiting" contract? Or do you think Richt is going to be here until he dies and that won't work? Or that Manny is too ambitious to consider an offer like that? Just throwing it out there.

Man I miss paragraphs.

lol I'm in college 250 words is a paragraph

Before you get out learn about couple things: Headline, bullet points and brief. Nobody in business wants to read more that half lines. Technically speaking, break point at the transition from Mark to Manny 5 lines down would be good and maybe another somewhere.

As to the topic, I think he stays a few years but how knows. He is home and having more fun than he will anywhere else. Mark should be able to strong arm the administration for $$$ for staff sinc ethe new President seems to be loving rubbing THE U in all those stuck up gigos faces he has to rub shoulders with. Hasn't Manny flames out in a couple places too? Whatever, this is THE U and taking the money is fine. We just need to replace him with someone committed to Miami style defense.

When did Diaz win the Broyle’s Award

Nominated

Broyles award nominations are made by the head coach. Not putting down Diaz at all, but nomination isn't an indicator of success or failure. D'no was nominated by golden.

Also, we want our DCs to move on to bigger and better things. Means we are successful. If he goes Richt will find another savage to plug in.

Advertisement
Back