The Future of College Football

Advertisement
That's absurd. Rather than getting the top 25 players each year, Alabama will simply get the top 150 players each year. Yes, most will not play but they will be well compensated for sitting on the bench.
That won't happen. They may get a few more, but watch what will inevitably happen with TAMU and the exodus of recruits. They stacked too many guys at the same position and guys want to play and play early. You can get to the league and be a high pick at so many different schools now, but you need game tape to do it. And once Saban retires, that Bama allure WILL change. They may never go through what we did, but Saban is the main draw there right now.

We can’t have it both ways at this point. The box has been opened.

If you want a free market for players and unlimited coaches and scholarships then there is no end to the money it will take to compete. There will be 6 schools with everything and everyone will get scraps. The college football I grew up loving is gone and won’t even look the same.

If you want something like what was around 10 years ago with some parity, a cap on payments to players, and a “level playing field” then you need the NCAA to govern this thing the way they should have been doing.

Ruiz isn’t going to be a cash cow for Miami forever. The fact is we can’t compete financially with schools that have the boosters and fan bases of Ohio St and Bama.

Enjoy this ride we are about to take because I’m not sure what this sport looks like in 5 years.

Advertisement
Unlimited Coaches
Unlimited Schollies

miniGif_20210816091308.gif
miniGif_20210816091308.gif

That's absurd. Rather than getting the top 25 players each year, Alabama will simply get the top 150 players each year. Yes, most will not play but they will be well compensated for sitting on the bench.
i disagree. players will want to play at some point regardless of getting paid. they would transfer after a year. most schools will be able to pay some NIL money

That won't happen. They may get a few more, but watch what will inevitably happen with TAMU and the exodus of recruits. They stacked too many guys at the same position and guys want to play and play early. You can get to the league and be a high pick at so many different schools now, but you need game tape to do it. And once Saban retires, that Bama allure WILL change. They may never go through what we did, but Saban is the main draw there right now.
It’s easy to forget this, but they did go through what we are from 95 until Saban came in 2007. Granted it was not 20 years and five bad hires, but jt is really not that difficult to make 2-3 successive bad hires and money/facilities does not automatically equal titles.

Advertisement
The NCAA acted like a petulant child king for the last 50 years, spoiled rotten by greed and easy success. They refused to face the reality of adulthood and the imposition of the real world on their dealings. Instead of owning up and getting a real job they headed back to mom and dads house and went full murder-suicide on the sport.

The NCAA acted like a petulant child king for the last 50 years, spoiled rotten by greed and easy success. They refused to face the reality of adulthood and the imposition of the real world on their dealings. Instead of owning up and getting a real job they headed back to mom and dads house and went full murder-suicide on the sport.
Can ABSOLUTELY see Emmert right now in a basement "bedroom" eating pb&j sandwiches that his mom cut the crusts from watching Finebaum on the SEC Network all day. Occasionally screams upstairs that he's out of Mountain Dew and Takis.

title IX is a cap on scholarships as much as the NCAA is.

unless you can find a women's sport that gives out 150 schollys, i'm not so worried about it.

This is a club system with a non-profit/government status.

A blue-chip recruit will be better compensated than most NFL rookie contracts. That prep to college signature is the new 40 time, bench press and shuttle.

Advertisement
RIP NCAA, it's basically just an annoying hemorrhoid at this point in the rectal situation they created.

College football as we know it is over, next TV contract, and it and the NCAA are toast, super league of the top 40+ teams or something like that incoming. The rest form their own league and championship.

Can ABSOLUTELY see Emmert right now in a basement "bedroom" eating pb&j sandwiches that his mom cut the crusts from watching Finebaum on the SEC Network all day. Occasionally screams upstairs that he's out of Mountain Dew and Takis.
I can picture him in that John Clayton commercial eating noodles listening to heavy metal music..

Here's what will happen, and I'll use this as an example:

So an Alabama won't necessarily get the top ten tight ends each year to sign. They might get the Top 4. And then they might just sign five additional ones - in part because that further depletes the pool for everyone else. And they might not necessarily sign a Top 300 player. They might be targeted based on other metrics, mostly notably late bloomer or raw potential. So let's say a David Njoku signs with Alabama. In today's world, if Miami was not competitive a Njoku would be a prime target to transfer once he emerged as a force. But by stashing these prospects on the bench you'll never know about a Njoku or a Philip Dorsett. They'll be buried on the bench - but well compensated - for their entire career. Alabama won't have to worry (that much) about them transferring because they never put any film by virtue of play on the field. And they can structure their NIL deals so that a player like a Njoku would have to pay back a portion or all of their money if they left.

Basically Alabama, Georgia, Texas, Ohio State, and Texas A&M will engage in an insane arms race and wind up with rosters that are 200-300 players. All very talented, but few playing. But they'll pay a premium to keep their bench players from transferring, and the rest of college football will be starved out.

I've joked in the past that Nick Saban would petition for the removal of scholarship limits - I never thought that this would actually be considered. It's as logical and competitive as an NFL or NBA team not having a draft and allowing for unlimited roster spots.

All that is left is the NCAA to waive the 4 year on the field limit for scholarships. After all, if a player wants to compete into his 30s or 40s, who is to say that they cannot? Would we all love to see Trevor Lawrence playing for Clemson in 2033? Or Vince Young playing for Texas for twenty years?

Advertisement
I can picture him in that John Clayton commercial eating noodles listening to heavy metal music..
Haha. With a ponytail. But I'm thinking it would probably be Jason Aldean or some **** instead of metal to match his wannabe good ol' SEC boy persona.

We can’t have it both ways at this point. The box has been opened.

If you want a free market for players and unlimited coaches and scholarships then there is no end to the money it will take to compete. There will be 6 schools with everything and everyone will get scraps. The college football I grew up loving is gone and won’t even look the same.

If you want something like what was around 10 years ago with some parity, a cap on payments to players, and a “level playing field” then you need the NCAA to govern this thing the way they should have been doing.

Ruiz isn’t going to be a cash cow for Miami forever. The fact is we can’t compete financially with schools that have the boosters and fan bases of Ohio St and Bama.

Enjoy this ride we are about to take because I’m not sure what this sport looks like in 5 years.
As I said, the final domino to fall after scholarship limits will be how long players can actually compete in college. If the salaries start to achieve NFL parity, you'll end up with an actual rival to the National Football League and some athletes staying with schools for 10 years.

As I said, the final domino to fall after scholarship limits will be how long players can actually compete in college. If the salaries start to achieve NFL parity, you'll end up with an actual rival to the National Football League and some athletes staying with schools for 10 years.
Hopefully they keep the enrollment and academic requirements. I'd love to see "Dr." or ", P.E." on the back of the jerseys.

Would be kind of neat to see the 80 or so "have nots" break away and form their own league. Keep scholarship limitations, make players sit for 1yr if they transfer and try to keep traditions and competitive balance. Profit sharing on TV contracts split evenly with each player regardless of status. Clean regional conferences and a full 16 Team playoff.

Advertisement
Back