The Future of College Football

For those of you that are scared of the “Alabama’s” maybe it’s time you find another university to support. You forgot who we are. This is Miami and the rest of college football and ESPECIALLY the Alabamas are scared of US! We have the best recruiting ground on the planet. We have a top flight education. We have unlimited funds. We have the best city in the world walking distance from campus. We have perfect weather. We have a diverse community. We have the television market. We have a stadium that hosts Super Bowls. This isn’t Randy’s or Manny’s Miami anymore. This is a license to rape and pillage the rest of college football for us! Bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement
Here's what will happen, and I'll use this as an example:

So an Alabama won't necessarily get the top ten tight ends each year to sign. They might get the Top 4. And then they might just sign five additional ones - in part because that further depletes the pool for everyone else. And they might not necessarily sign a Top 300 player. They might be targeted based on other metrics, mostly notably late bloomer or raw potential. So let's say a David Njoku signs with Alabama. In today's world, if Miami was not competitive a Njoku would be a prime target to transfer once he emerged as a force. But by stashing these prospects on the bench you'll never know about a Njoku or a Philip Dorsett. They'll be buried on the bench - but well compensated - for their entire career. Alabama won't have to worry (that much) about them transferring because they never put any film by virtue of play on the field. And they can structure their NIL deals so that a player like a Njoku would have to pay back a portion or all of their money if they left.

Basically Alabama, Georgia, Texas, Ohio State, and Texas A&M will engage in an insane arms race and wind up with rosters that are 200-300 players. All very talented, but few playing. But they'll pay a premium to keep their bench players from transferring, and the rest of college football will be starved out.

I've joked in the past that Nick Saban would petition for the removal of scholarship limits - I never thought that this would actually be considered. It's as logical and competitive as an NFL or NBA team not having a draft and allowing for unlimited roster spots.

All that is left is the NCAA to waive the 4 year on the field limit for scholarships. After all, if a player wants to compete into his 30s or 40s, who is to say that they cannot? Would we all love to see Trevor Lawrence playing for Clemson in 2033? Or Vince Young playing for Texas for twenty years?
I hope everyone we compete against is a soft as this post. []_[][]V[]

Is Stewart Mandel connected like that anymore? Maybe he is. Havent heard his name in awhile. Only reason im saying this is why we are just taking his word as gospel? Unlimited scholarships? LOL. That sounds crazy.

Is Stewart Mandel connected like that anymore? Maybe he is. Havent heard his name in awhile. Only reason im saying this is why we are just taking his word as gospel? Unlimited scholarships? LOL. That sounds crazy.
It is crazy, even the most capitalist sports, like soccer, there are roster limits.

RIP NCAA, it's basically just an annoying hemorrhoid at this point in the rectal situation they created.

College football as we know it is over, next TV contract, and it and the NCAA are toast, super league of the top 40+ teams or something like that incoming. The rest form their own league and championship.
Isn’t it already just a top 40 sport…. I mean it’s cute when we watch “MAC-tion” on week days but let’s be real it’s been the exact thing you just said for the past 30years….

Advertisement
title IX is a cap on scholarships as much as the NCAA is.

unless you can find a women's sport that gives out 150 schollys, i'm not so worried about it.
Actually it would like mean a combination of adding women sports teams and cutting mens teams. In the end I believe just the scholarships need to even out. If that is the case then lets say you have 120 football players on scholarship. That is 35 more than you have to even out by adding/removing teams.

I mean, as long as the 85 cap is in place (and the article says it would be), the numbers will regulate themselves to some extent. You can't go over 85 for fall camp. Yes, your boogeyman Alabama could run off some kids and load up a class, but when 65% of the kids who sign at Bama that year aren't successful, barely get any reps, and end up portaling, that will affect their recruiting, and some sort of equilibrium will be found. It's going to become an art. The 25 cap was designed to keep kids in school to get their degrees, make them worth more to the programs because they weren't as easily replaced. But if we are going to live in a portal age, then the portal + 25 are contradictions to some extent.

Actually it would like mean a combination of adding women sports teams and cutting mens teams. In the end I believe just the scholarships need to even out. If that is the case then lets say you have 120 football players on scholarship. That is 35 more than you have to even out by adding/removing teams.

At least.

Which is not an efficient solution for managing the equalization of scholarships between mens and women’s teams. It would be chaos, …. For a lot of reasons ….. which is why I don’t think it comes to that

Advertisement
I mean, as long as the 85 cap is in place (and the article says it would be), the numbers will regulate themselves to some extent. You can't go over 85 for fall camp. Yes, your boogeyman Alabama could run off some kids and load up a class, but when 65% of the kids who sign at Bama that year aren't successful, barely get any reps, and end up portaling, that will affect their recruiting, and some sort of equilibrium will be found. It's going to become an art. The 25 cap was designed to keep kids in school to get their degrees, make them worth more to the programs because they weren't as easily replaced. But if we are going to live in a portal age, then the portal + 25 are contradictions to some extent.
Yea this isn’t 1965 where Bear Bryant had 120 kids on the team. I think Mandel knew what would stir the masses and that’s why he worded his tweet how he did.

The NCAA just needs to get the **** out of the way and let the conference commissioners at each level hash it out. Now that Emmertt is gone and the ACC has a new commissioner with no Tobacco Road ties, and we have Rad on board, the conference commissioners can surely come up with better solutions.

I think the fears of schools like Bama hoarding 200-300 players are overblown. These players have been stars their entire lives and we are supposed to believe they will just be content to go sit on a bench for 4 years just because they’re getting paid? Maybe for a few but the majority of these guys are competitors who want to play and contribute.

That may have worked before NIL and transfer portal but why sit when you can go somewhere else play and get paid? It’s not like Bama wasn’t paying players and they just had 22 guys hit the portal after last season.

Advertisement
I hope everyone we compete against is a soft as this post. []_[][]V[]
I hope your right that we can compete. I really, really do.

But I think no scholarship limits is far more damaging to college football than anything that has ever come before.

it’s one thing to pound your chest and say “we’re Miami”. Ive done that at Miami when we won NCs and afterwards. But it’s another thing in a world where a Texas might just spend $150M per year to guarantee that 55 of the top 100 players go there, and then
Hoover up dozens more just to keep them off the market.

Okay, then I might have misread that.

Ruiz isn’t going to be a cash cow for Miami forever. The fact is we can’t compete financially with schools that have the boosters and fan bases of Ohio St and Bama.

Enjoy this ride we are about to take because I’m not sure what this sport looks like in 5 years.
Be nice to see more than John Ruiz step up. Is he the only businessman in South Florida who could benefit from employing players?

Advertisement
Miami didn’t rise until scholarship limits. Back in the day, Nebraska used to sign classes of 100 kids and they had probably 1000 kids on the sideline.

They built massive O/Lines because that’s a development position that’s ******* hard to scout so they just signed everyone in the midwest and let it all sort itself out in practice

I don’t think this is good for miami top of my head

I hope your right that we can compete. I really, really do.

But I think no scholarship limits is far more damaging to college football than anything that has ever come before.

it’s one thing to pound your chest and say “we’re Miami”. Ive done that at Miami when we won NCs and afterwards. But it’s another thing in a world where a Texas might just spend $150M per year to guarantee that 55 of the top 100 players go there, and then
Hoover up dozens more just to keep them off the market.
Lol like NIL, this too is an advantage for us. We win this war.

Advertisement
Back