The End of the Striker position

I like the idea of changing the name of the Striker to something different every month so it looks like Diaz is constantly innovating. Striker, Rover, Viper, Joker, Ace, Star, Superstar, Sweeper, Duster, Cleaver, Moneybacker, Moneyshotter, Pineapple, Pineapple Pen, etc
Offenses will never know what's coming.

Advertisement
I will say that they were also unique in that Smith had the ability to cover slot guys. We lined up in a 4-3 when we played Houston run and shoot back in 91. We easily contained them.
If you had to rely on a linebacker to cover a WR, you could do a lot worse than lightning quick guys like Darrin Smith and Jesse Armstead. **** those guys only played at around 210-215 lbs. They would be strikers/safeties in today's game.

Manny‘s Defensive scheme is trash it’s only better than D’onfrios by default. With that being said How will our defense look without the Striker position?

We need a defense that’s multiple and not running out of the same stupid looking formation every snap >>> I’m looking at u Manny 🤡. I want to see 4 LBers when needed, 4 CBs when needed, Two safeties and a Rover when needed.

Thoughts?
I understand you’re opinion but unfortunately I don’t think Manny sides with you on this. Lol, no offense

I like the idea of changing the name of the Striker to something different every month so it looks like Diaz is constantly innovating. Striker, Rover, Viper, Joker, Ace, Star, Superstar, Sweeper, Duster, Cleaver, Moneybacker, Moneyshotter, Pineapple, Pineapple Pen, etc
Lmfao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement
Advertisement
The run and shoot isn't exactly what I'd call a modern offense. They used a bunch of receivers but they were still thinking old school in terms of trying to throw vertically. They lined up under center and by the time their QB got to the bottom of his 7 step drop, he was getting sacked. They didn't use the quick passing game to get their skill players in space like today's offenses do. With that Miami pass rush, especially against a Houston team that wasn't nearly as talented, taking deep drops and trying to pass protect long enough to run vertical routes was suicide. Honestly. Erickson's offense had more in common with today's offenses than the run and shoot. Not to mention, the rules didn't favor the offenses nearly as much back then. Guys could get a lot more physical with receivers.
I looked briefly at Houston's run and shoot offense from that era. You can easily you tube it. It wasn't exclusively 7 step drops at all. It incorporated quick passes too. It's not like adjustments didn't exist back then.

I agree we just had better athletes across the board and the rules favor offenses currently. But when you suggest our defenses back then just lined up against wishbone that really wasn't the case. I was just giving an example.

they'd still get torched unless we were running 3-3-5. nebraska was still running the triple option with success when they were playing and going 3 wide in a base offense was considered an innovation.

this is like "pro style, bro" for the other side of the ball.

A 3-3-5? Nahhhhhh Bro, I'm not replacing Krein or Medearis for no Safety, but to each His own though.

I looked briefly at Houston's run and shoot offense from that era. You can easily you tube it. It wasn't exclusively 7 step drops at all. It incorporated quick passes too. It's not like adjustments didn't exist back then.

I agree we just had better athletes across the board and the rules favor offenses currently. But when you suggest our defenses back then just lined up against wishbone that really wasn't the case. I was just giving an example.
It wasn’t all wishbone teams but offenses back then were much simpler. There’s a reason why no team plays a base 4-3 anymore. Even the absolute best defenses all use hybrid players. Either 4-2-5 or 3-3-5 bases. What was effective 30 years ago isn’t effective today. You have to adapt and change or you fall behind. I mean, how long did we try to force the outdated “pro style” offense?

Manny‘s Defensive scheme is trash it’s only better than D’onfrios by default. With that being said How will our defense look without the Striker position?

We need a defense that’s multiple and not running out of the same stupid looking formation every snap >>> I’m looking at u Manny 🤡. I want to see 4 LBers when needed, 4 CBs when needed, Two safeties and a Rover when needed.

Thoughts?
Against UNC I would’ve like to have seen 5 defensive linemen because it was definitely needed!

Advertisement
It wasn’t all wishbone teams but offenses back then were much simpler. There’s a reason why no team plays a base 4-3 anymore. Even the absolute best defenses all use hybrid players. Either 4-2-5 or 3-3-5 bases. What was effective 30 years ago isn’t effective today. You have to adapt and change or you fall behind. I mean, how long did we try to force the outdated “pro style” offense?
So nickel or dime defenses did not exist back then? Look at how TCU decided to defend Houston, one of the videos I checked out. They played dime the entire game. True it wasn't their base but defenses were employing these schemes back then depending on the offense they faced.

So because modern offenses utilize more spread rpo you have defenses adjusting by employing these alignments more often. But they were not just discovered in the 21st century.

There are only so many ways to move a football and only so many alignments you can employ to stop it based on the rules. Football is not that complicated.

Yeah I remember irvin in a flipping three point stance at wide out like he was a nt😂

So nickel or dime defenses did not exist back then? Look at how TCU decided to defend Houston, one of the videos I checked out. They played dime the entire game. True it wasn't their base but defenses were employing these schemes back then depending on the offense they faced.

So because modern offenses utilize more spread rpo you have defenses adjusting by employing these alignments more often. But they were not just discovered in the 21st century.

There are only so many ways to move a football and only so many alignments you can employ to stop it based on the rules. Football is not that complicated.
You just proved my point. More and more teams have switched to spread offenses. So more and more teams have switched their base defense. Most teams don’t want to go full nickel or dime all the time because teams run from spread sets just as much as they pass from them now. You need to have players who can cover a receiver in man but still play the run. The average slot corner will get bullied in the run game but the average linebacker will get beat in coverage. An extra safety, or striker, or rover or whatever the coach wants to call it can defend both. Plus if you factor in that most teams use tempo and hardly huddle, substitution on defense isn’t possible unless the offense also subs. You need the versatile player now more than ever. Look how many safety/striker/linebacker hybrid type players we’ve recruited the last couple years.

Advertisement
If they change the name from “striker” to “rover” you’ll be happy?
LoL. He must think today's defenses run base 4-3 against spread teams. Unless you have a gazelle who can run with a slot you are getting gashed. I don't care if you are Bama. I don't want to see 4 linebackers on the field unless for some reason we are running a 30 front. ****, I don't think we have 4 serviceable linebackers on roster.

Advertisement
Back