The dust has settled...UNC and the big picture

I’ve watched the player pressers this week, as I always do (ya’ll should try it some time for perspective) and they all seem to be in good spirits. Even Lee. I’ll be surprised if the team doesn’t come out ready to kick some ***.

They should be in good spirits.

They dominated that game.

Lost on bad weather, terrible officiating, and a horrid coaching decision.

They probably feel cheated. I expect them to play with a huge chip on their shoulder the rest of the year. I thought they would be UnC by more than three scores, but it might be closer if the weather is bad.

Advertisement
Guess what? We only had knuckleheads in the QB room who couldn't stay eligible. He was told he'd never start and exceeded expectations - he did all he could but in a horrible culture with guys giving up, you're doing just what everybody else did- give the other guys dropping balls, being ineligible every other week a pass.
I respect Rosier for doing the best he could, and I wasn't mad at him for being the QB.

The fact is he wasn't good, and he was our weakest link. His inability to consistently make throws cost us wins and made our offense more predictable.

I think that is a fair conclusion to arrive at based on the results and his film. Even in wins his play was average at best.

It suck’s cause when we look back at the season we will remember the one that got away or was taken away. We go 8-4 but should have been 9-3. We have a shot at Charlotte at 10-2 but it should have been 11-1. 8-4 looks much better than 7-5

Advertisement
Mario needs a win this weekend in the very biggest way. However, at the end of the day, "Scoreboard" is all that counts. What I mean is, even if we lose to UNC, but rally and win the rest, we'll be 10-2 and have the track record and success to finish with a top 10 recruiting class, setting us up for next year. And, I keep getting the feeling that with the stout QB class and his underperformance against GT, plus just a gut feeling, I wouldn't be surprised if TVD stay for one more year and we made a legit run for the playoffs.

Or...

Mario has lost the locker room because of an historically stupid decision and he is dead man walking (eventually).

I'm an optimist, so I'm still hoping for the 10-2 finish. Do that and when all of the ribbing and jokes subside, the program is headed in the right direction. We'll be fine and won't need a new HC. We'll see...

I don't think Cristobal has lost the locker room but I also don't think we are going to win the game. IMO our secondary isn't going to slow down the UNC WRs and our front four won't be able to pressure Maye. Guidry will have to send extra players and Maye will dink and dunk us to death. Offensively Im not that impressed with Dawson. He's not particularly creative, so if we get into a shootout, they will stop our offense more than we stop theirs. I also expect at least 2 special teams blunders such as a big return getting called back for holding. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see it going our way.

Other than turning UM into a meme, the kneel down loss isn't going to change how UM plays. It will ultimately be the difference between a 7-6 and a 8-5 season (I'm including the bowl loss), which I don't think has any significant effect on recruiting either way.

Last edited:
I thought our "****** team/should have won game" would be at NC St.
Hopefully it's just a switch-out with GT and we take care of biz up in Raleigh.

UNC, FSU, UL and FehClempson have had down games.
It's a 50/50 shot for us in those games and the lines will show it.

If you throw in Duke (outlook is "positive" that Leonard will play vs FSU next week), here's how many games the 5 teams play vs each other:
FSU- 2
Clemp- 2
UL- 2
Duke- 2
UNC- 3
Miami- 4

Miami easily has the toughest ACC road ahead.

Last edited:
Get ready for Holding to not be called when we are on defense.

1697145776226.gif

Big picture, and I hate to even mention this this, but 9-3 would be considered overachieving by pretty much everybody in the country before the season began.

I'm still hoping for 11-1 because I believe we can still beat everybody left on our schedule.

But if we split the 4 "tough games" left, we're still going 9-3 and that's a big improvement over 5-7.
I’d be disappointed with 9-3 now, but you aren’t wrong. Until we beat ATM, 9-3 seemed like a really good season. As usual, we got ahead of ourselves.

Advertisement
Mario needs a win this weekend in the very biggest way. However, at the end of the day, "Scoreboard" is all that counts. What I mean is, even if we lose to UNC, but rally and win the rest, we'll be 10-2 and have the track record and success to finish with a top 10 recruiting class, setting us up for next year. And, I keep getting the feeling that with the stout QB class and his underperformance against GT, plus just a gut feeling, I wouldn't be surprised if TVD stay for one more year and we made a legit run for the playoffs.

Or...

Mario has lost the locker room because of an historically stupid decision and he is dead man walking (eventually).

I'm an optimist, so I'm still hoping for the 10-2 finish. Do that and when all of the ribbing and jokes subside, the program is headed in the right direction. We'll be fine and won't need a new HC. We'll see...
If we don't get this win, then 10-2 is not a likely possibility.

People *****ed about Rosier cause that team with a skilled QB would have been much more dangerous and competitive in the post season.

We all saw what happened in the ACCCG and Orange Bowl coming.
Lets not rehash this again. Regardless how you feel about Malik..that is still the best season this program has had since 2004 up to that point and since then.

Its like you guys cant stand the fact that Rosier has that distinction and not some of your other favorite QBs from that era I guess. But whatever. The history books speak for themselves. Still the only UM QB to take us to an ACC title game in the 18 years we have been in the ACC. And if we dont beat UNC tomorrow, that streak will continue.

I just cant believe Mario did this to himself. After such a great start put himself in another "must win" scenario like the TAMU game... Smh. If we beat GTech..this isnt a must win game. Because even if we lost, we could have still had Clemson at home to fall back on. Now thats all over. He has to win this game or nobody knows where this season could be headed with Clemson, FSU and Louisville still left to play.

Advertisement
I think the only ones truly "shook" are a portion of our fanbase which may not be the most emotional stable group to begin with 😂

The team doesn't look that shook in all the pressers this week...and THEY are the ones who count.
You joke but you’re right. The players are angry and chomping at the bit to play.

Miami Flo has a show called Miami Mayhem.
The last episode talked about the acc refs, the GT game and more acc ref bs.
A gt player threw his mouth piece at the student section and the ref saw it.
No call.
It’s not even debatable anymore.
The holding stat was way more than an outlier.

Since joining the ACC Miami has played 11 games where there were no holding calls against us.
The next closest p5 team that has had no holding calls against them in the same time span with in conference opponents was 3 games.

The other glaring fact was that the teams that had no holding calls did not repeat the same feat anytime in the season or had some stellar offensive line that barely held. The rest of the season the holding calls went up to an average rate.

Now unless the acc is the mother of all conferences when it comes to producing mistake free olines, this is more than just an outlier. This is deliberate.

Advertisement
we NEED this WIN to help wash this stink off of us and get our minds back right..... we're all shook right now... was ROLLING big time, before blowing our big toe off.. Need to get back on track.
The most important thing is the team doesn’t fold like they usually do that would shot true Growth of the Mario culture. We shall see

How's TVD going to play? That's all that matters. I think we know what we're going to get from our defense -- although this UNC team may test them past their limit -- and we know what we'll get from our OL (stellar) and RBs (solid). The only wild card is TVD. Insane how we're in year 3 of him and he's still Jekyll and Hyding shyyt out there.

Re: Dawson --- Do TVD a favor and throw the ball deeeeeeeppppp

You joke but you’re right. The players are angry and chomping at the bit to play.
No, I wasn't joking about the players. But I was certainly making fun of the sheer amount of moperisms he this week. And I am glad you're confirming the status of the locker room

Bottom line is that our defense is very good. If our offense reverts to the A&M game offense then we can beat everyone on our schedule. All these predictions of losing to everyone including BC seem silly. I've called Mario every name in the book since our loss to GT but at some point rational thinking must set in

Advertisement
Back