The defense will be drastically improved this season

We have one huge question mark, and that's at DT. Everywhere else we are solid or better. We need to catch lightning in a bottle with one of these guys. Problem with DT is we'll have no clue until they strap them on on labor Day.

If we don't have a disruptive DT it will be more of the same. This staff can't scheme their way out of a wet nappy...

Advertisement
I hope you're right, but I've got serious doubts. Until I see it I don't expect anyone to be a huge upgrade over the guys leaving. I've fallen for that way too many times over the last decade. Hopefully I can eat some crow.

Although the improvement was not as big as we would have liked to see, it still was an improvement. I just believe with an improvement in talent we could jump in the top 40 at least.

DEFENSE
2012 Overall 116th
2013 Overall 87th

Positive trend... lol ! Golden is this you typing behind this post bra- ****?

I think so and I am one of those that thinks the scheme and coaching sucks. We have way too much talent there for us not to be better than pretty much everyone but FSU on our schedule. My issue with the defense ie scheme and coaching is that while it should be sufficient enough to win us most of our games and the Coastal, I just dont see it being enough to carry us back to elite status. If we become a middle of the pack defense, it will be light years ahead of what we have been yet not good enough to where we want to be.

which is why the worst case scenario for this season is that F.A.G. and Doritos improve just enough to buy more time

I really want to believe that the defense is going to be better this year, but I just can't at this point. I have zero confidence in the scheme and the defensive play calling.

Advertisement
If anyone was at the spring game paid attention to the line of scrimmage when 93 and 91 were in there together you saw a big difference, then when 72 and 90 where rotating in. We don't need the two/three new DTs to be all-acc, just hold the line of scrimmage and they should, for the most part.

If anyone was at the spring game paid attention to the line of scrimmage when 93 and 91 were in there together you saw a big difference, then when 72 and 90 where rotating in. We don't need the two/three new DTs to be all-acc, just hold the line of scrimmage and they should, for the most part.
93 = Heurtelou, 91 = Pierre. I think Wyche may have something to say about the DT spot when it comes down to Labor Day night, but I think as of right now--those ought to be your starters. I'm big on Heurtelou, but not as crazy about Wyche. I think Heurtelou is closer to helping us than Wyche is. Both talented and need work, but Heurtelou starting in the Spring will give him a leg up on playing time.

No surprise on 90/72 (Corey King/Earl Moore). I think Moore can maybe be serviceable for LIMITED snaps, but he should be, at best, 4th in the DT rotation.

I'd like to redshirt Moten, but with Corey King not being very good, we may have to put Moten in the rotation ahead of him.

I really want to believe that the defense is going to be better this year, but I just can't at this point. I have zero confidence in the scheme and the defensive play calling.

Ibis.

It's not like it can possibly get worse. Even a rabid FSU fan would bet that it can't get worse, and could only get better.

We may even move up to 85th overall.

Advertisement
I concur with the OP.

We're going to have a few all-ACC performers on the defensive side of the ball in the fall of 2014. That hasn't happened in awhile. There was great production in turnovers last year but we need improve upon sacks and TFL.

Go Canes!
:stormwarning:

A couple of things repeated by Golden supporters that give me a migraine.
1) "The defense will improve dramatically." How dramatically? Because we can all agree that going from 86 to 30 is pretty dramatic, but if you're a Canes fan you can also agree that by Miami standards, that sucks. Al Golden shouldn't get credit for setting the bar extreeeeemely low.

2) "The system is complex." How is that acceptable to you? Why would purposefully running a system that is harder to grasp = good coaching? Why would purposefully running a system that is going to yield multiple years of historically bad performances in return for 1 year of decency = good coaching? Why would ignoring systems out there that are less complex and can yield results just as good or better = good coaching?

3) "You need a senior laden group for this system to work". Again how is this acceptable? So we have to wait for years when we have big classes graduating in order to field a respectable D? How come other schools can just plug in athletes, but we need the water to be the right temperature, the wind blowing in the right direction and 25 seniors to be half decent on D? Newsflash, if you got a lot of 5th year and 4 year seniors, you probably don't have a lot of really good players.

4) "You guys are just blind haters." Really? Blind hate? There are no numbers or evidence behind why people are unsatisfied with the coaching staff? On the contrary. You are blindly following. Point to 3 things with data that this staff has improved or performed better than the previous 2 staffs, inarguably.

There's enough talent to field a top 25 defense. Anything short of that should be deemed a failure.

Not on the most important unit on the field, the defensive line--especially DT. I'd trade/take Tyrone Cornelius over DP all day if you gave me Vince Wilfork over Olsen Pierre.

How many QB's, DT's, and DE's have we had drafted in the last seven-eight years…tells the whole story.

I agree about the DT position, there is still a big question mark there. On the other hand I do believe DE is there and we will see a very talented rotation this season.

Hopefully, Renfro took his skates and Wyche and Hert can anchor the line, otherwise.....not good

Advertisement
I hope you're right, but I've got serious doubts. Until I see it I don't expect anyone to be a huge upgrade over the guys leaving. I've fallen for that way too many times over the last decade. Hopefully I can eat some crow.

Although the improvement was not as big as we would have liked to see, it still was an improvement. I just believe with an improvement in talent we could jump in the top 40 at least.

DEFENSE
2012 Overall 116th
2013 Overall 87th

There was no defensive improvement just an easier schedule.Compare our our conference stats from 2012 and 2013 where we just finished next to last in overall defense.

I almost puked this spring when I heard coach D refer to the defense as "young"…**** that ****…this is a put up or shut up year for that defense. Either you show the ability to put players in the position to make plays, make in-game adjustments on the fly, make halftime adjustments, make one-dimensional offenses actually look one-dimensional, or GTFOH.

Will that said…our offense needs to establish the running game in a big way to help these guys out.

I almost puked this spring when I heard coach D refer to the defense as "young"…**** that ****…this is a put up or shut up year for that defense. Either you show the ability to put players in the position to make plays, make in-game adjustments on the fly, make halftime adjustments, make one-dimensional offenses actually look one-dimensional, or GTFOH.

Will that said…our offense needs to establish the running game in a big way to help these guys out.

Please tell me that useless meatsack of **** didn't say that.

Advertisement

Please tell me that useless meatsack of **** didn't say that.

110% positive I saw it during one of the spring interviews…absolutely no doubt in my mind. Can't honestly remember which video, though. I'll do a little looking, but I'm sure someone else will find it first.

DEFENSE
2012 Overall 116th
2013 Overall 87th

There was no defensive improvement just an easier schedule.Compare our our conference stats from 2012 and 2013 where we just finished next to last in overall defense.

Yep, we all trotted out the numbers to hear goldenballs supporters slurp even harder.

A couple of things repeated by Golden supporters that give me a migraine.
1) "The defense will improve dramatically." How dramatically? Because we can all agree that going from 86 to 30 is pretty dramatic, but if you're a Canes fan you can also agree that by Miami standards, that sucks. Al Golden shouldn't get credit for setting the bar extreeeeemely low.

2) "The system is complex." How is that acceptable to you? Why would purposefully running a system that is harder to grasp = good coaching? Why would purposefully running a system that is going to yield multiple years of historically bad performances in return for 1 year of decency = good coaching? Why would ignoring systems out there that are less complex and can yield results just as good or better = good coaching?

3) "You need a senior laden group for this system to work". Again how is this acceptable? So we have to wait for years when we have big classes graduating in order to field a respectable D? How come other schools can just plug in athletes, but we need the water to be the right temperature, the wind blowing in the right direction and 25 seniors to be half decent on D? Newsflash, if you got a lot of 5th year and 4 year seniors, you probably don't have a lot of really good players.

4) "You guys are just blind haters." Really? Blind hate? There are no numbers or evidence behind why people are unsatisfied with the coaching staff? On the contrary. You are blindly following. Point to 3 things with data that this staff has improved or performed better than the previous 2 staffs, inarguably.
Might as well lock this thread up and close it down, this guy hit the nail on the head

93 = Heurtelou, 91 = Pierre. I think Wyche may have something to say about the DT spot when it comes down to Labor Day night, but I think as of right now--those ought to be your starters. I'm big on Heurtelou, but not as crazy about Wyche. I think Heurtelou is closer to helping us than Wyche is. Both talented and need work, but Heurtelou starting in the Spring will give him a leg up on playing time.

No surprise on 90/72 (Corey King/Earl Moore). I think Moore can maybe be serviceable for LIMITED snaps, but he should be, at best, 4th in the DT rotation.

I'd like to redshirt Moten, but with Corey King not being very good, we may have to put Moten in the rotation ahead of him.

could not Moten have a Jerigan type of freshmen year. He can get minutes like Chad, but not have the pressure like McCord and AQM had the past two years.

Advertisement
Back