The defense will be drastically improved this season

A couple of things repeated by Golden supporters that give me a migraine.
1) "The defense will improve dramatically." How dramatically? Because we can all agree that going from 86 to 30 is pretty dramatic, but if you're a Canes fan you can also agree that by Miami standards, that sucks. Al Golden shouldn't get credit for setting the bar extreeeeemely low.

2) "The system is complex." How is that acceptable to you? Why would purposefully running a system that is harder to grasp = good coaching? Why would purposefully running a system that is going to yield multiple years of historically bad performances in return for 1 year of decency = good coaching? Why would ignoring systems out there that are less complex and can yield results just as good or better = good coaching?

3) "You need a senior laden group for this system to work". Again how is this acceptable? So we have to wait for years when we have big classes graduating in order to field a respectable D? How come other schools can just plug in athletes, but we need the water to be the right temperature, the wind blowing in the right direction and 25 seniors to be half decent on D? Newsflash, if you got a lot of 5th year and 4 year seniors, you probably don't have a lot of really good players.

4) "You guys are just blind haters." Really? Blind hate? There are no numbers or evidence behind why people are unsatisfied with the coaching staff? On the contrary. You are blindly following. Point to 3 things with data that this staff has improved or performed better than the previous 2 staffs, inarguably.

I'm pretty optimistic in a few areas, like moving Perrymsn to MLB'er but nobody can argue a single one of the above posted points... Except #4. Special teams under Randy was just shameful. Golden has actually done a pretty good with the special teams.

Advertisement
Lol soon we will run out of players to hope graduate. We will find out quite early against UL. Makes no sense arguing about this anymore. We will have one of the most experienced defense in the ACC still not expecting anything. Better that way.

1) "The defense will improve dramatically." How dramatically? Because we can all agree that going from 86 to 30 is pretty dramatic, but if you're a Canes fan you can also agree that by Miami standards, that sucks. Al Golden shouldn't get credit for setting the bar extreeeeemely low.

2) "The system is complex." How is that acceptable to you? Why would purposefully running a system that is harder to grasp = good coaching? Why would purposefully running a system that is going to yield multiple years of historically bad performances in return for 1 year of decency = good coaching? Why would ignoring systems out there that are less complex and can yield results just as good or better = good coaching?

3) "You need a senior laden group for this system to work". Again how is this acceptable? So we have to wait for years when we have big classes graduating in order to field a respectable D? How come other schools can just plug in athletes, but we need the water to be the right temperature, the wind blowing in the right direction and 25 seniors to be half decent on D? Newsflash, if you got a lot of 5th year and 4 year seniors, you probably don't have a lot of really good players.

4) "You guys are just blind haters." Really? Blind hate? There are no numbers or evidence behind why people are unsatisfied with the coaching staff? On the contrary. You are blindly following. Point to 3 things with data that this staff has improved or performed better than the previous 2 staffs, inarguably.

I'm pretty optimistic in a few areas, like moving Perrymsn to MLB'er but nobody can argue a single one of the above posted points... Except #4. Special teams under Randy was just shameful. Golden has actually done a pretty good with the special teams.

Were special teams really awful? It was like crack backs galore... His worst year was practically his first year when we had a slew of muffs... Many people mock the Richard Gordon experiment but he was actually the safest return men on our team besides Cooper... He averaged like 20 yards a return... He wasn't dynamic nor was he trash... That year Randy also had that kicker who played for like all the state schools in Florida... Special teams wasn't really awful... I think that's a bit of an exaggeration... Especially when special team players like Corey Nelms get NFL try outs and players like Futch give the illusion like he was actually more than a special team role player... From what I remember Collier, Benjamin and Cooper were solid return men... They weren't as dynamic as Duke or Coley but they were really good...

Last edited:
I re-watched a couple of late season games. His tokes is correct. Our problem was talent not scheme. Our line backing and safety play were totally a case of being too slow particularly in the middle. Players were not out of position but just were outmatched particularly in the bowl game. I agree that we should be better. The big if is the offense has to keep tem off the field.

Were special teams really awful? It was like crack backs galore... His worst year was practically his first year when we had a slew of muffs... Many people mock the Richard Gordon experiment but he was actually the safest return men on our team besides Cooper... He averaged like 20 yards a return... He wasn't dynamic nor was he trash... That year Randy also had that kicker who played for like all the state schools in Florida... Special teams wasn't really awful... I think that's a bit of an exaggeration... Especially when special team players like Corey Nelms get NFL try outs and players like Futch give the illusion like he was actually more than a special team role player... From what I remember Collier, Benjamin and Cooper were solid return men... They weren't as dynamic as Duke or Coley but they were really good...

It wasn't as much as the return guys as it was continual errors and plays getting called back for stupid stuff. Also blocked punts & FG's. We used to Kill with our special teams play and I always felt there was a noticeable drop off during Randy's stint.

Advertisement
its year 4 of the golden error and we have no dtackles....

and in year 4 we are starting to get them and get deep in other areas on the field. The allegations from trolls favorite inmate Nevin Shapiro had nothing to do with our defensive deficiency? Or how about Shannon not doing any recruiting at all, because he knew he would get canned? Golden has been scrambling since he has been here, and then the NCAA, took such a long time with this investigation. We literally waited two seasons to get an answer. That is **** on recruiting, and we lost a chance on some playmakers because of that. Thank God for the likes of players like Duke, Tyriq, Bush, etc. Year 4 and the handcuffs are off, and I think they will get bodies in here. I think next year Courtel and Moten will be very talented, and we will have another year with Wyche, and Calvin if I remember correctly. Change is coming, and I believe it. The scheme they run, ran correctly, can be absolutely dangerous. Ask Patrick Willis if this scheme sucks

Last edited:

It wasn't as much as the return guys as it was continual errors and plays getting called back for stupid stuff. Also blocked punts & FG's. We used to Kill with our special teams play and I always felt there was a noticeable drop off during Randy's stint.

Yea I don't remember getting to many blocked punts and field goals... And our kickoffs were a bit shaky at least that was the case in 09... We have been able to get a few more blocks under Golden but I still wouldn't say we were awful... It does seem like we have tighten up in that area a bit but until the transfer punter came in we were inconsistent in the kicking area... That being said, special teams is an element of the team that we're fine at...

I expect a slight improvement, but I probably should know better than to get my hopes up like that.

On paper we improve, but schematically we remain the same.

I surely hope "more talent" equates to better on-field performance.

What are the exact schematically issues you see?

lets start with 275 lb DEs patrolling as OLBs covering slot WRs

Every team that runs a 3 - 4 does this from time and time

yeah they have legit 3-4 OLB playing those spots though. we shift a guy over there who has NO BUSINESS playing that role (Shayon Green for example...believe i saw that Gilbert dude playing a WR also)

our alignment looks like **** when we do it too since our "OLB" is literally lined up like hes playing man on the WR instead of just slightly cheating from his normal spot. it creates a numbers miss match in teh box that we will lose every single time

I re-watched a couple of late season games. His tokes is correct. Our problem was talent not scheme. Our line backing and safety play were totally a case of being too slow particularly in the middle. Players were not out of position but just were outmatched particularly in the bowl game. I agree that we should be better. The big if is the offense has to keep tem off the field.

Yeah but that's the case no matter what level of football you coach. Great coaches understand the players they have and tailor each game plan (scheme/problem matchups) to maximize the team's strengths and minimize the team's weaknesses.

Advertisement

Yeah but that's the case no matter what level of football you coach. Great coaches understand the players they have and tailor each game plan (scheme/problem matchups) to maximize the team's strengths and minimize the team's weaknesses.
what guys like you dont understand is that there was no tailoring that could have been done to mask the weakness of half the players on the team.
People like to comment that we should have pressed more. Really? Pressing requires more overall talent across the board to pull off successfully. Or else instead of 500 yards it would have been 600+ a game. mianjomar is correct. Pop in the PITT game and watch their first TD and tell me it was because of scheme and not talent.

Last edited:

what guys like you dont understand is that there was no tailoring that could have been done to mask the weakness of half the players on the team.
People like to comment that we should have pressed more. Really? Pressing requires more overall talent across the board to pull off successfully. Or else instead of 500 yards it would have been 600+ a game. mianjomar is correct. Pop in the PITT game and watch their first TD and tell me it was because of scheme and not talent.

Lol. I think he is partially correct. Pitt had the 98th ranked offense in cfb, so i think that argument, Pitt was more talented, is a tough one for you to win. Pop in a Belichek tape. You'll see inferior defensive talent being used to their max to confuse opponents and limit their star players. THAT my friend is what I would've liked to have seen.

What the 3-4 Defense Means to The Canes

http://www.stateoftheu.com/2014/5/16/5725324/what-the-3-4-defense-means-to-the-canes

When Coach Golden took over the University of Miami Football Program he brought with him a resume that boasted an above average, smash-mouth rushing attack and a swarming, disciplined three defensive linemen, four linebacker front commonly known as a "34." However, what he was walking into at UM was a personnel grouping that was specifically tailored for four defensive linemen and three linebacker sets known as a "43." Even though it sounds like there's just a one player difference there's SO MUCH MORE than that. Each scheme asks its players to accomplish drastically different objectives when they're on the field. To get a breakdown please see my article from last season discussing the topic HERE. If you want the cliff notes version, the essential point of a 34 defense is to control the point of attack in the running game and to confuse the quarterback into making mistakes when he's trying to pass.

The "rub" about 34 personnel though is that player characteristics need to be pretty specific or it simply isn't effective. The three down linemen weigh in at about 280-320 pounds on average and are asked to take up blocks along the offensive line (they aren't necessarily asked to get after the QB). Linebackers are usually asked to beef up too because they need to both take punishment from the advancing offensive lineman as well as push back and try to get to the QB from any angle possible. Remember, because there are three down lineman usually a linebacker "comes after" the QB. The trick is the blitzing ‘backer can come from anywhere on the field and anyone of the 4 linebackers.

Now that we've given a brief breakdown of how the 34 works, lets address the elephant in the room. Why has Miami struggled so mightily the last three, going on four (no pun intended) years on defense? The reason is masked in recruiting from the old regime to present day. Let's take a look at how the defensive players have changed from 2011 to those who we believe will be starting in 2014.

2011_medium

If you look at the above graphic you can tell the Canes were just too undersized to run a 34 in year one of Coach Golden's tenure. The easiest section of the defense to highlight is linebacker. What I didn't outline earlier was the size of a good 34 linebacker. They tip the scales at about 230 to 250 pounds... easy. Again, this is due to the fact that they will be taking on and hopefully shedding blocks by the offensive linemen. As you can see, the UM linebackers were undersized and that's why teams like Maryland and Kansas State were able to take advantage of the porous rushing defense. Mix in play action and you have yourself a "barn burner" on your hands when trying to stop an opponent.

2012_medium

In 2012 the team got younger, smaller and simply put... were less disciplined. Swap out Ojomo for a svelte Anthony Chickillo at 265 at one defensive end spot and then throw out Eddie Johnson for off the field/injury issues with a mix of Gionni Paul and Tyrone Cornelius and the defensive unit got really shallow in talent really quickly. Golden was recruiting players but they simply were not ready to contribute in live action situations or were not at the skill level needed to compete against top division 1A teams. Denzel Perryman was and is a great player but he can't be everywhere at once. This unit again saw their rushing numbers against go through the roof because, like the season before, they were under sized and didn't have the correct personnel in place. This collective unit ended up being one of the worst defenses in the country and UM history..

2013_xxx_medium

Statistically this group was better than the disastrous 2012 team (yay....?) but many could argue they were just as bad. Every QB that went against the Canes seemed to have a career passing day except GT who... well.. doesn't throw the ball all that often. The Canes Defensive Unit was more physical in the running game and did cause more turnovers than the previous season but the overall numbers were still lowly ranked. As you can see in the graphic, the unit as a whole is getting "heavier." Compare the linebackers now and look at the 2011 squad. Almost to a man they were 10-30 pounds heavier. The issue again at hand was overall talent. As each year went by, Coach Golden was able to plug in more of "his players" that fit his scheme; guys that could throw their weight around and get after the QB from all angles. Besides turnovers jumping from the year before the sack numbers almost doubled from the teens to the high twenties. This was mainly accredited to the rushing ends led by Tyriq McCord who were able to get home against the oppositions QBs.

2014_medium

Can't really say much about the current lineup because well.. that's the future and who knows what's going to happen. What is plain to see is that the defensive linemen are all huge. The "thinnest" linemen if you call him that would be 285 pounds and the rotation of six to eight players average about 290 pounds. The linebackers are also larger and look to hold their own in the trenches as well with two of the three being 235 and Perryman being 240. AQM and McCord are kind of in their own little worlds because they play a different position from both the ‘backers and linemen. They both can hold their own too as both tip the scales 245+.

If you're wondering why I never mentioned the secondary it's because the 34 really is dictated by the front seven. If the defensive line and the linebackers compete and execute, the secondary gets to make the team look good with interceptions. They can't do much when a running back is already 25 yards down the field, they can only "contain" the damage.

In the end what we've had is a transition of sorts. UM has gone from a light, speedy defense to hopefully a hard hitting, disciplined machine. Unfortunately the transformation's positive results haven't been seen on the field as of yet. Will the 34 philosophy work in Miami? Will Golden's personnel execute the game plan given to them moving forward? We shall have to see.

http://www.stateoftheu.com/2014/5/16/5725324/what-the-3-4-defense-means-to-the-canes

When Coach Golden took over the University of Miami Football Program he brought with him a resume that boasted an above average, smash-mouth rushing attack and a swarming, disciplined three defensive linemen, four linebacker front commonly known as a "34." However, what he was walking into at UM was a personnel grouping that was specifically tailored for four defensive linemen and three linebacker sets known as a "43." Even though it sounds like there's just a one player difference there's SO MUCH MORE than that. Each scheme asks its players to accomplish drastically different objectives when they're on the field. To get a breakdown please see my article from last season discussing the topic HERE. If you want the cliff notes version, the essential point of a 34 defense is to control the point of attack in the running game and to confuse the quarterback into making mistakes when he's trying to pass.

The "rub" about 34 personnel though is that player characteristics need to be pretty specific or it simply isn't effective. The three down linemen weigh in at about 280-320 pounds on average and are asked to take up blocks along the offensive line (they aren't necessarily asked to get after the QB). Linebackers are usually asked to beef up too because they need to both take punishment from the advancing offensive lineman as well as push back and try to get to the QB from any angle possible. Remember, because there are three down lineman usually a linebacker "comes after" the QB. The trick is the blitzing ‘backer can come from anywhere on the field and anyone of the 4 linebackers.

Now that we've given a brief breakdown of how the 34 works, lets address the elephant in the room. Why has Miami struggled so mightily the last three, going on four (no pun intended) years on defense? The reason is masked in recruiting from the old regime to present day. Let's take a look at how the defensive players have changed from 2011 to those who we believe will be starting in 2014.

2011_medium

If you look at the above graphic you can tell the Canes were just too undersized to run a 34 in year one of Coach Golden's tenure. The easiest section of the defense to highlight is linebacker. What I didn't outline earlier was the size of a good 34 linebacker. They tip the scales at about 230 to 250 pounds... easy. Again, this is due to the fact that they will be taking on and hopefully shedding blocks by the offensive linemen. As you can see, the UM linebackers were undersized and that's why teams like Maryland and Kansas State were able to take advantage of the porous rushing defense. Mix in play action and you have yourself a "barn burner" on your hands when trying to stop an opponent.

2012_medium

In 2012 the team got younger, smaller and simply put... were less disciplined. Swap out Ojomo for a svelte Anthony Chickillo at 265 at one defensive end spot and then throw out Eddie Johnson for off the field/injury issues with a mix of Gionni Paul and Tyrone Cornelius and the defensive unit got really shallow in talent really quickly. Golden was recruiting players but they simply were not ready to contribute in live action situations or were not at the skill level needed to compete against top division 1A teams. Denzel Perryman was and is a great player but he can't be everywhere at once. This unit again saw their rushing numbers against go through the roof because, like the season before, they were under sized and didn't have the correct personnel in place. This collective unit ended up being one of the worst defenses in the country and UM history..

2013_xxx_medium

Statistically this group was better than the disastrous 2012 team (yay....?) but many could argue they were just as bad. Every QB that went against the Canes seemed to have a career passing day except GT who... well.. doesn't throw the ball all that often. The Canes Defensive Unit was more physical in the running game and did cause more turnovers than the previous season but the overall numbers were still lowly ranked. As you can see in the graphic, the unit as a whole is getting "heavier." Compare the linebackers now and look at the 2011 squad. Almost to a man they were 10-30 pounds heavier. The issue again at hand was overall talent. As each year went by, Coach Golden was able to plug in more of "his players" that fit his scheme; guys that could throw their weight around and get after the QB from all angles. Besides turnovers jumping from the year before the sack numbers almost doubled from the teens to the high twenties. This was mainly accredited to the rushing ends led by Tyriq McCord who were able to get home against the oppositions QBs.

2014_medium

Can't really say much about the current lineup because well.. that's the future and who knows what's going to happen. What is plain to see is that the defensive linemen are all huge. The "thinnest" linemen if you call him that would be 285 pounds and the rotation of six to eight players average about 290 pounds. The linebackers are also larger and look to hold their own in the trenches as well with two of the three being 235 and Perryman being 240. AQM and McCord are kind of in their own little worlds because they play a different position from both the ‘backers and linemen. They both can hold their own too as both tip the scales 245+.

If you're wondering why I never mentioned the secondary it's because the 34 really is dictated by the front seven. If the defensive line and the linebackers compete and execute, the secondary gets to make the team look good with interceptions. They can't do much when a running back is already 25 yards down the field, they can only "contain" the damage.

In the end what we've had is a transition of sorts. UM has gone from a light, speedy defense to hopefully a hard hitting, disciplined machine. Unfortunately the transformation's positive results haven't been seen on the field as of yet. Will the 34 philosophy work in Miami? Will Golden's personnel execute the game plan given to them moving forward? We shall have to see.

This article is such a piece of horse schit....I don't even know where to begin....Dorito Golden is a fvckin idiot.

Advertisement

This was not a case of a player playing a position he choose over the advice, like Sam Shield and when he does it cost him money in the league, but he goes there a balls out. None of the kids on our defense that recently left will not have a career like Sam. They are just not that talented, no disrespect to those young men. Porter and Luther bought in their last year!!!

We had a few good return men during that time....nothing special like you mentioned but our kick off defense was **** near trash....that 09 season.....worst i ever seen

Advertisement

2011_medium

2012_medium

2013_xxx_medium

2014_medium

This article is such a piece of horse schit....I don't even know where to begin....Dorito Golden is a fvckin idiot.

Square peg round hole for 3 farking years... that is not the definition of a good coach.

Advertisement
Back