The Culture Part Will Take Time

View as article
Advertisement
Because it's been a problem.

Believe it or not, you need both top tier coordinators and a culture of strong work ethic and competitiveness.

Like is noted elsewhere, isn't it weird Dan Enos is over at Maryland averaging 7.3 yards/play (Top 8)?
Most people on here would hate Kentucky’s offense too and look at what they are doing.

I don't see anything happening
1664577218748.gif

Advertisement
Great post. Program builders- Saban, Kirby take more time than schematic coaches- Reilly. Look at the first year for Saban and Kirby. Complete train wrecks. Lincoln shows up and completely changes things- although the transfers help.

Look at Saban and Kirby’s first year. Louisiana Monroe, Mcnesse state, conference blowouts.

Kirby took a right team that went 10-3 and went 8-5.

Partly they are so physical that players get hurt a lot. As we see with Mario’s first year.
Saban's first year was far from a train wreck. People love to parrot around the "Saban lost to ULM" narrative to excuse coaches in their first seasons, but they never also tell you Saban play 5 ranked teams, going 2-3 in those 5 games, the 3 losses were all by 7 points or less, and 1 of those losses was the eventual champion in LSU.

There's a difference in a proven coach like Saban going 7-6 with the schedule he faced and us looking like we may be lucky to get bowl eligible playing our joke of a schedule. If we finish the year strong and show improvement, we'll have a difference conversation. For now, we're a third of the way through the season and we've looked like one of the worst coached Miami teams I can remember seeing.

Revisiting this topic from the offseason because of how Mario needs to weave in optimizing what he currently has WHILE transforming the program's culture (over time). Those of us rooting for losses and more destruction are completely missing the mark this time, IMO. Mario is here to stay. The MTSU game sets him back - whether people want to admit that or not - but we can't just lose whatever games and think "well, we'll clean house quicker." There will be consequences in recruiting, player buy-in, and more.

Re: culture, I said this (and other things) in Feb:

View attachment 209691

In no way did or do I expect for culture to change in "45 seconds." It's just not realistic. Mario has a ton of ongoing work to do in that aspect.

None of that explains the loss to MTSU, questionable fits in hiring, or gameday issues.

The most impactful, immediate thing Mario could have done was hire great fits as coordinators and positional coaches. Despite what we saw on Saturday, I still think he did a really solid job on defense. Scheme/coordinator changes often have immediate benefits or consequences. It's partly why transfer players can go into a new system and look like new players. Even QBs. It's why Lashlee and even, gasp, Diaz took Enos/D'onofrio systems and somehow made similar or the same players look better.

BUT, THE CULTURE PART DOESN'T JUST TRANSFORM.

If it did, companies would flip a switch on leaders and turn [more] profitable. To expect it in a college football program of 18-23 year olds is unrealistic. As I said in February, that usually takes lots of personnel turnover and acquisition.

BTW, this is also a Rad issue. We need more smart people in the building. And, Mario has to hopefully be open to them (I hear he is). And, no, they don't all need traditional backgrounds or UM playing/coaching experience (see: Mcdaniel's early returns for the Phins). If a coach or coordinator isn't working out or was a bad decision, part of building the culture you want is being consistent on accountability.

So you think that a team that came back from a 2-4 start last year to win 6 of the last 7, that fought through the adversity of losing the popular starting QB 3 games into the season, rallied to win games multiple times even when down by a ton of points, and all the while winning games with rumors swirling that Diaz was getting fired no matter how the season ended- that group of players had a huge culture problem and a lack of a desire to win?

What exactly is Dr. Mario going to cure them of- the disease of playing hard and not quitting on a coach even though they know he's not actually very good? If so, then I have good news for you.

Last edited:
So you think that a team that came back from a 2-4 start last year to win 6 of the last 7, that fought through the adversity of losing the popular starting QB 3 games into the season, rallied to win games multiple times even when down by a ton of points, and all the while winning games with rumors swirling that Diaz was getting fired no matter how the season ended- that group of players had a huge culture problem and a lack of a desire to win?

What exactly is Dr. Mario going to cure them of- the disease of playing hard and not quitting on a coach even though they know he's not actually very good? If so, then I have good news for you.
I have no idea how you could pack that many assumptions into a couple paragraphs, but I am impressed. Mario establishing the culture that HE WANTS will take time. I made no comments about ‘good’ or ‘bad.’ You clearly don’t even know what I’ve said or thought about Mario. Do you even have a clue what ‘culture’ is supposed to mean? And, the point of the post was to show that, while many people felt Mario establishing his culture (good or bad, it’s a way of building collective habits and rewarding values and actions he deems important) would be instantaneous, I believed it would take time…but should NOT be used as an excuse. Really funny.

Advertisement
Do you really think Mario is stupid he will adjust a more open style to the ACC game and still keep the physicality aspect in the scenario.
I worry he might be stubborn.

Just like Kim Helton was at Houston. He didn't want any part of the run-n-shoot offense and was perfectly content with losing until he got "his" guys in place.

1988: 9-3 (Jack Pardee)
1989: 9-2 (Jack Pardee)
1990: 10-1 (John Jenkins)
1991: 4-7 (John Jenkins)
1992: 4-7 (John Jenkins)
1993: 1-9-1 (Kim Helton)
1994: 1-10 (Kim Helton)
1995: 2-9 (Kim Helton)
1996: 7-5 (Kim Helton)
1997: 3-8 (Kim Helton)
1998: 3-8 (Kim Helton)
1999: 7-4 (Kim Helton)

It is nonsensical and laughable to even think about firing coaches at this early stage because of one bad loss. Who is out there that you will get that is better to replace Mario? Please start naming them and they better be realistic otherwise shut up.

Washington went 4-8 last year. Brought in a new staff and was #15 in country up until the lost last night. They seem to have no issues with shaking off the 4-8 culture from the previous season.

Why is it that Miami is always viewed as a desolate wasteland of talent and requires heavy lifting of the gawds, whereas other programs bring in new coaches and hit the road running. How is USC doing with their season after going 4-8 last year? Is Sonny Dykes and fighting Frog Horns of TCU still putting foot to *** to OU? Its 34-17 in the first half and BTW, TCU was 5-7 the previous year.

But Miami needs Scott Covington, Jeff Popovich and the 1998 Canes to compete against the blue scourge of MTSU?

Advertisement
I understand needing Culture change to beat Clemson, A&M or **** even most ACC coastal teams

But losing to Middle Tenn St and struggling against Southern Miss.. idk

Mario hired a horrible OC and likes a prehistoric offense himself. The players knew/know it by game 2 and he’s already losing buy in from them on that side of the ball and now the other too because they know the offense can’t score for ****

I’m not sure how old u r, but I vividly remember when Mike Tyson got smoked by Buster Douglas. Despite how immensely superior he was than Douglas, the infrastructure surrounding Mike w/ that provided him discipline & focus had eroded. He took Douglas for granted, didn’t prepare for the fight & got knocked out.

That fight, even at the age of 9 yrs old taught me anyone can get got, if u underestimate them. Here’s the thing: We’re 16-6 vs. G5 opponents in recent yrs. Despite the talent difference we’ve displayed against the vast majority of our opponents, we’ve tricked games away. Not only did we trick them away, we looked bad in doing so.

There’s NEVER an excuse to lose to a MTSU, but there was never an excuse to lose to:
1. 4-8 UVA ranked as a top 25
2. USF at home
3. 2-10 Maryland
4. 4-8 BC at home
5. 4-8 UVA
6. 5-7 UVA
7. 6-7 Pitt
8. 7-6 Cincinnati
9. 4-8 ND
19. 5-7 Pitt
20. 3-9 GT at home
21. FIU
22. 5-7 Duke
23. 6-6 UVA at home
24. 6-7 UNC
25. 5-7 FSU

Now brethren, I purposely didn’t include other games, but in this example, u have us going 0-22 against P5 teams who wish they had our talent w/ a combined record of 59-99, & 0-3 against some bad G5 opponents, all w/in the past 11 yrs, only.

I know it’s hard to fathom how a team w/ this much of a talent discrepancy, w/ a coach who’s supposed to turn things around can lose to a MTSU…well, culture is legit problem. Mario continued to tell us w/o telling us we had issues. He continued to say we have a long ways to go.

In no way did I have us losing to a MTSU, but ****, I didn’t have us losing to these other 25 teams, either.

Golden’s defense was the culture problem
Richt’s offense was the culture problem
Diaz’s offense with Enos and then Diaz’s defense was the culture problem
Now Mario’s offense is the culture problem

Notice the trend. It ain’t the players.

What? Haven't we been changing the culture for 20 years? What a copout. The players to win are here the coaches are not. Mario gets a pass for now but only for now. ACC play kicks up and he needs to win those games.

When Mario said he knew they didn't have the personnel upon arrival he lost me.

Shannon got the #1 class in the country. Golden recruited well and do did CMR. Manny... He was a disaster.

We are the poster child for why the blue chip ratio is BS. I wonder what MTSU blue chip ratio was.

Mario is on a 9 million dollar hot seat. This is unacceptable.

Advertisement
Washington went 4-8 last year. Brought in a new staff and was #15 in country up until the lost last night. They seem to have no issues with shaking off the 4-8 culture from the previous season.

Why is it that Miami is always viewed as a desolate wasteland of talent and requires heavy lifting of the gawds, whereas other programs bring in new coaches and hit the road running. How is USC doing with their season after going 4-8 last year? Is Sonny Dykes and fighting Frog Horns of TCU still putting foot to *** to OU? Its 34-17 in the first half and BTW, TCU was 5-7 the previous year.

But Miami needs Scott Covington, Jeff Popovich and the 1998 Canes to compete against the blue scourge of MTSU?

Greg Popovich should be able to beat MTSU with Miami

Advertisement
Back