The Culture Part Will Take Time

View as article
I know change takes time but realistically, are we going to need to give Gattis until Year 3 to get most of his “guys” in? It’s beyond obvious that his hiring has been a failure. Even with Lashlee’s head knocking dives down the middle, you could see his system was a major upgrade. By Year 2, the offense was humming along.

My point is this: If this season is an offensive **** show, Mario needs to pivot and go back to what we were saying when Manny hired Lashlee. Move us into 21st century football. Gattis offenses can work with monster OLines and years of recruiting at top levels which Harbaugh and Smart have shown.

Can Mario sign Georgia-type classes? Are we willing to wait 4-5 years?

Advertisement
BUT, THE CULTURE PART DOESN'T JUST TRANSFORM.

If it did, companies would flip a switch on leaders and turn [more] profitable. To expect it in a college football program of 18-23 year olds is unrealistic. As I said in February, that usually takes lots of personnel turnover and acquisition.

BTW, this is also a Rad issue. We need more smart people in the building. And, Mario has to hopefully be open to them (I hear he is). And, no, they don't all need traditional backgrounds or UM playing/coaching experience (see: Mcdaniel's early returns for the Phins). If a coach or coordinator isn't working out or was a bad decision, part of building the culture you want is being consistent on accountability.

Comparing corporate culture and grown adults working in accounting or mid-level marketing jobs, compared to 18-22 year old kids winning position battles on the field and the collective coming together to win football games—a night and day scenario.

Great. Marge likes the new boss now and the new unlimited PTO decision and free Friday lunches, so she tires harder as she doesn't hate her meaningless job anymore.

How does a coach change a culture through actions and time? You see two offensive linemen giving post-game quotes that Miami thought they would breeze through the win, weren't ready, weren't prepared, etc. when you know coaches had a boot up their *** all week after the aTm loss.

We're dealing with a culture of kids that are hearing things, but not doing anything about it yet as they still think they know better and their way is better—and that is a problem, as the switch has to go off. Some of the things the coaches are saying has to translate over time and the kids wake up and that doesn't happen in four games.

Still no excuse to lose a game like this, but when are these kids going to hear the message and start buying in? That's where and when change happens.

***** Bama! We want to be like our old selves.

Never gonna happen. Those attitudes and players don't exist anymore. Miami was the collection of unique, talented, brash players from a different generation.

The best you can hope for now is to be like Bama, with some Miami-style personality sprinkled in here or there, but if your benchmark is 2023 (and beyond) Miami to look like 80's era Miami ... better build your *** a time machine and set it for 1983, as that's the only way you're ever going to see something like that all over again.

The crime is that titles slipped away in 1985, 1986, 1990 and 1992 as the Canes should've stacked more than four in that era.

There is this enormous false myth about Miami and it’s successful history. This false idea that Miami won because of “Work ethnic, greentree warriors, Culture, blah blah”.

Miami won 5 NC’s and played for about 10 NC’s because Miami hired the most innovative aggressive X’s and O’s Coaches of those eras. Miami was ahead of the curve in finding coaches that flat out CHANGED the game with X’s and O’s And use of personnel.

Miami did not get away from “Culture and work ethic and understanding what the U is about”. That’s nonsense. They got away from hiring the right style of coach, like Miami had done successfully for years resulting in a dynasty.

Advertisement
Comparing corporate culture and grown adults working in accounting or mid-level marketing jobs, compared to 18-22 year old kids winning position battles on the field and the collective coming together to win football games—a night and day scenario.

Great. Marge likes the new boss now and the new unlimited PTO decision and free Friday lunches, so she tires harder as she doesn't hate her meaningless job anymore.

How does a coach change a culture through actions and time? You see two offensive linemen giving post-game quotes that Miami thought they would breeze through the win, weren't ready, weren't prepared, etc. when you know coaches had a boot up their *** all week after the aTm loss.

We're dealing with a culture of kids that are hearing things, but not doing anything about it yet as they still think they know better and their way is better—and that is a problem, as the switch has to go off. Some of the things the coaches are saying has to translate over time and the kids wake up and that doesn't happen in four games.

Still no excuse to lose a game like this, but when are these kids going to hear the message and start buying in? That's where and when change happens.
what a wild interpretation, man. There was NO comparison of the function of how culture is built in the two scenarios. There was a comparison that instilling culture - the compilation of habits, Mindsets, etc. - takes time at all levels. Yikes.

I'd like to see Mario pull guys when they **** up, no matter who's behind them. Get beat man to man and give up a 69 yard bomb? Your *** is benched for a series and if the guy behind you is playing better than you, then you don't get your job back. Fumble the ball? Same thing.

That's the accountability Mario and Highsmith were talking about before the season but so far I haven't seen it in games.

You shouldn't be playing your most talented players no matter what, you should be playing the players who PRODUCE and let playing time be the reward for production and results IN GAME.

I don't give a **** about who looks good in practice. Not 4 games in. All I care about is who is getting it done on Saturday, that's who should be in the game.
This right here, why is this so hard.

There is this enormous false myth about Miami and it’s successful history. This false idea that Miami won because of “Work ethnic, greentree warriors, Culture, blah blah”.

Miami won 5 NC’s and played for about 10 NC’s because Miami hired the most innovative aggressive X’s and O’s Coaches of those eras. Miami was ahead of the curve in finding coaches that flat out CHANGED the game with X’s and O’s And use of personnel.

Miami did not get away from “Culture and work ethic and understanding what the U is about”. That’s nonsense. They got away from hiring the right style of coach, like Miami had done successfully for years resulting in a dynasty.
I actually agree, in part, and have stated numerous times staying ahead on Xs and Os was an enormous factor (perhaps THE factor) in our 80s and 90s eras. It was not the case in the early
00s. I don’t believe even the very best Xs and Os will succeed without talented players buying into internal competition and work ethic. There isn’t a top program in the country without that foundation. It can and should be BOTH.

I know change takes time but realistically, are we going to need to give Gattis until Year 3 to get most of his “guys” in? It’s beyond obvious that his hiring has been a failure. Even with Lashlee’s head knocking dives down the middle, you could see his system was a major upgrade. By Year 2, the offense was humming along.

My point is this: If this season is an offensive **** show, Mario needs to pivot and go back to what we were saying when Manny hired Lashlee. Move us into 21st century football. Gattis offenses can work with monster OLines and years of recruiting at top levels which Harbaugh and Smart have shown.

My belief is Gattis (and everyone) should be held to the same accountability Mario wants to instill for the players. It’s explicitly stated in the OP. While culture takes time to build, my point is clear: it should be built WHILE we maximize what we have. And, for that, it came down to Mario’s coordinator decisions. There are NO EXCUSES for some of what we’ve seen. Including ‘bad culture.’

Advertisement
Too many people thought mario was going to turn water into wine, and didn't understand why so many saw an 8-4 season with a good class as successful. The positives that can come out of this is hopefully people will understand that it takes more than one season or class to start winning consistently and maybe mario takes an overdue look at his offensive philosophy in the modern game.
Water into wine?

How about not getting blow out vs MTSU or being worse HC then Diaz. We spent 80m to have a worse product on the field. No type of excuses can cover that up.

The culture-crew is just the new age version of the overweight diabetic HR lady with mints on her desk. Now the non-doing men have created their own cottage industry because they don't really have the capability or willingness to focus their energies on something meaningful, productive, and self-actualizing. Whenever you hear a coach or any dingbat reference the world "culture" too much, it is the first sign of a man out of concrete ideas, or who doesn't really know how to define the problem in an adult way.

As Jeff bezos said, "culture-raiders in the workforce are modern day alchemists too lazy or too dumb to actually pick up a hammer and fix something specific."

Exactly.

I think fans need a culture change as well. I cant tell you how many BS posts about how UM played in front of like 2,000 fans last Saturday i have seen.. and you have fellow Canes fans endorsing this BS narrative!

Opening game had about 55k, SOMISS had probably 20-25k (in the seats because it was hot AF), and MTSU had probably a good 30-35k in the seats. I know..because I’m actually at every game and I’m not drunk during games. Those are not bad showings compared to the past and given the start time/opponent.

I question a lot of your fandem when you bash our team publicly, especially to recruits, while we are down. As well as not helping get rid of the annoying “UM only plays in front of like 5000 fans” narrative that other people like to use. If you call yourself a fan and you are able, then get your a$$ in the stands. If you see the BS narrative being pushed then push back with evidence of how many show up. I know I’ll start taking some pictures to shut these idiots up.

Advertisement
Great post. Program builders- Saban, Kirby take more time than schematic coaches- Reilly. Look at the first year for Saban and Kirby. Complete train wrecks. Lincoln shows up and completely changes things- although the transfers help.

Look at Saban and Kirby’s first year. Louisiana Monroe, Mcnesse state, conference blowouts.

Kirby took a right team that went 10-3 and went 8-5.

Partly they are so physical that players get hurt a lot. As we see with Mario’s first year.

I think fans need a culture change as well. I cant tell you how many BS posts about how UM played in front of like 2,000 fans last Saturday i have seen.. and you have fellow Canes fans endorsing this BS narrative!

Opening game had about 55k, SOMISS had probably 20-25k (in the seats because it was hot AF), and MTSU had probably a good 30-35k in the seats. I know..because I’m actually at every game and I’m not drunk during games. Those are not bad showings compared to the past and given the start time/opponent.

I question a lot of your fandem when you bash our team publicly, especially to recruits, while we are down. As well as not helping get rid of the annoying “UM only plays in front of like 5000 fans” narrative that other people like to use. If you call yourself a fan and you are able, then get your a$$ in the stands. If you see the BS narrative being pushed then push back with evidence of how many show up. I know I’ll start taking some pictures to shut these idiots up.
You're right. I live in Atlanta and still make 2 games year. Going to the GT game and South Carolina in November. Some of the loudest and most disrespectful posters never attend a live game all year.

A real fan finds a way to get to at least one game a year and more if he can afford it.

You're right. I live in Atlanta and still make 2 games year. Going to the GT game and South Carolina in November. Some of the loudest and most disrespectful posters never attend a live game all year.

A real fan finds a way to get to at least one game a year and more if he can afford it.
Respect. I’m a season ticket holder. I go to every home game as long as I’m able (which i usually am) and before Covid i went to atleast 1 road game a year. Idc if they lose, I’ll still show up the next game and cheer my a$$ off. If they play like **** I’ll call it out in the stands at the game or privately here. Not somewhere to give easy fuel to other fan bases to bash us or even worse, agree, with their ****** takes like a lot of “fans” do

Advertisement
I just know this, if we can’t win how are we gonna recruit these elite players UM want, they want to win or at least field an exciting team. I’m just worried about which recruits we can actually get that can aid to the catalyst of the culture change if we are playing ******.
NIL

The culture is fine Mario wil have to save this recruiting class next will need one more after that. The plan is in place but coaching is not. Mario will have to get a more astute OC that can be skilled in all facets of the offense and defensively Steele showing not enough to impress. 👍🫠

Last edited:

Doesn't matter what we are willing to do.

We will wait at least until Scario Frostoballess' buyout in 4-5 years....

unless he can return to be HC Super Mario Cristobigballs...

jury is very much out on this...

Advertisement
Back