The Culture Part Will Take Time

View as article

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
Revisiting this topic from the offseason because of how Mario needs to weave in optimizing what he currently has WHILE transforming the program's culture (over time). Those of us rooting for losses and more destruction are completely missing the mark this time, IMO. Mario is here to stay. The MTSU game sets him back - whether people want to admit that or not - but we can't just lose whatever games and think "well, we'll clean house quicker." There will be consequences in recruiting, player buy-in, and more.

Re: culture, I said this (and other things) in Feb:

culture talk.png

In no way did or do I expect for culture to change in "45 seconds." It's just not realistic. Mario has a ton of ongoing work to do in that aspect.

None of that explains the loss to MTSU, questionable fits in hiring, or gameday issues.

The most impactful, immediate thing Mario could have done was hire great fits as coordinators and positional coaches. Despite what we saw on Saturday, I still think he did a really solid job on defense. Scheme/coordinator changes often have immediate benefits or consequences. It's partly why transfer players can go into a new system and look like new players. Even QBs. It's why Lashlee and even, gasp, Diaz took Enos/D'onofrio systems and somehow made similar or the same players look better.

BUT, THE CULTURE PART DOESN'T JUST TRANSFORM.

If it did, companies would flip a switch on leaders and turn [more] profitable. To expect it in a college football program of 18-23 year olds is unrealistic. As I said in February, that usually takes lots of personnel turnover and acquisition.

BTW, this is also a Rad issue. We need more smart people in the building. And, Mario has to hopefully be open to them (I hear he is). And, no, they don't all need traditional backgrounds or UM playing/coaching experience (see: Mcdaniel's early returns for the Phins). If a coach or coordinator isn't working out or was a bad decision, part of building the culture you want is being consistent on accountability.

Advertisement
Solid. Beers are still on you for UNC.

Back to work. No really. Miami needs to get back to work to fix it. We don’t want a short term faux fix like Million Dollar Mel Tucker at MSU, but Mario needs to realize he has 2 weeks before UNC and not dig his heels in.

Show us something.

Back to work. No really. Miami needs to get back to work to fix it. We don’t want a short term faux fix like Million Dollar Mel Tucker at MSU, but Mario needs to realize he has 2 weeks before UNC and not dig his heels in.

Show us something.
You're gonna need liquor a lot stronger than beers, man. I got you.

This is a gonna be a grueling "turnaround," if it even happens, but I hope exactly what you state doesn't come true: digging in heels.

You're gonna need liquor a lot stronger than beers, man. I got you.

This is a gonna be a grueling "turnaround," if it even happens, but I hope exactly what you state doesn't come true: digging in heels.

Agreed. All around.

“Coaches, We just got embarrassed by MTSU, we have guys hurt, every position is open. Let’s get to work.”

Advertisement
It would be a lot easier to handle losing and feeling like it was a rebuild if we had purged the roster to clean up the culture. We didn't do that, brought in a number of bodies in the portal, but a lot of the same issues are still present from prior years.

Yes, it takes time to clean the culture up, but what bothers me is guys like Porter who we brought in are loafing it on special teams. He hasn't even been here in previous years to be tainted, yet he has been here a few months and is loafing around in games?

To some, they'll say that is a sign of the culture being so poor. To me, it's worrisome that in game 4 of the Mario era we've seen newcomers loaf in games, we've seen the team quit in the middle of a game against G5 competition. I'm not saying this guarantees Mario will fail, but that's an awful look for him and this staff. If the team is quitting in game 4, is it even possible to get the team focused and back under control moving forward this season?

This is a bunch of bull****z. Do you know how many dudes are either Freshman, second year dudes, or transfers brought in by MC that are on ‘ships? Yep, 45…forty-five players that have no baggage or very little for which any coach worth his salt changes the perceived BS ‘culture’ issue.

So for the MC apologists when you have 70 plus ‘ship players next season directly brought in by MC and/or have been with MC more than MD, what will the excuse(s) be….

Revisiting this topic from the offseason because of how Mario needs to weave in optimizing what he currently has WHILE transforming the program's culture (over time). Those of us rooting for losses and more destruction are completely missing the mark this time, IMO. Mario is here to stay. The MTSU game sets him back - whether people want to admit that or not - but we can't just lose whatever games and think "well, we'll clean house quicker." There will be consequences in recruiting, player buy-in, and more.

Re: culture, I said this (and other things) in Feb:

View attachment 209691

In no way did or do I expect for culture to change in "45 seconds." It's just not realistic. Mario has a ton of ongoing work to do in that aspect.

None of that explains the loss to MTSU, questionable fits in hiring, or gameday issues.

The most impactful, immediate thing Mario could have done was hire great fits as coordinators and positional coaches. Despite what we saw on Saturday, I still think he did a really solid job on defense. Scheme/coordinator changes often have immediate benefits or consequences. It's partly why transfer players can go into a new system and look like new players. Even QBs. It's why Lashlee and even, gasp, Diaz took Enos/D'onofrio systems and somehow made similar or the same players look better.

BUT, THE CULTURE PART DOESN'T JUST TRANSFORM.

If it did, companies would flip a switch on leaders and turn [more] profitable. To expect it in a college football program of 18-23 year olds is unrealistic. As I said in February, that usually takes lots of personnel turnover and acquisition.

BTW, this is also a Rad issue. We need more smart people in the building. And, Mario has to hopefully be open to them (I hear he is). And, no, they don't all need traditional backgrounds or UM playing/coaching experience (see: Mcdaniel's early returns for the Phins). If a coach or coordinator isn't working out or was a bad decision, part of building the culture you want is being consistent on accountability.

I do agree with you regarding the defense, and still have optimism on that side once the young guns at LB start getting burn.

What is going on with the offense is a different story. I’m really hoping Highsmith Rad and Mario have some answers because the Gattis plan is donezo

Advertisement
This is a bunch of bull****z. Do you know how many dudes are either Freshman, second year dudes, or transfers brought in by MC that are on ‘ships? Yep, 45…forty-five players that have no baggage or very little for which any coach worth his salt changes the perceived BS ‘culture’ issue.

So for the MC apologists when you have 70 plus ‘ship players next season directly brought in by MC and/or have been with MC more than MD, what will the excuse(s) be….
There aren't really any excuses and I'm certainly not an apologist. You can read my history on Mario. Even if he brought in 100% of his players this year (an impossibility), it takes time to build culture.

He deserves ALL OF THE WRATH right now. I think he made a highly questionable OC hire and am on record of that since February. Zero hindsight used. He'll either fix it (and other issues) or we'll all suffer.

It would be a lot easier to handle losing and feeling like it was a rebuild if we had purged the roster to clean up the culture. We didn't do that, brought in a number of bodies in the portal, but a lot of the same issues are still present from prior years.

Yes, it takes time to clean the culture up, but what bothers me is guys like Porter who we brought in are loafing it on special teams. He hasn't even been here in previous years to be tainted, yet he has been here a few months and is loafing around in games?

To some, they'll say that is a sign of the culture being so poor. To me, it's worrisome that in game 4 of the Mario era we've seen newcomers loaf in games, we've seen the team quit in the middle of a game against G5 competition. I'm not saying this guarantees Mario will fail, but that's an awful look for him and this staff. If the team is quitting in game 4, is it even possible to get the team focused and back under control moving forward this season?

It would be a lot easier if we just played all the young guns and went with that movement, but apparently the coaches feel the other guys give them a better chance to succeed and try to do both things - win and clean up culture - at the same time. Hence, the point of this thread. But, the point was, over the offseason, people believed we could just flip the culture. I've never seen it done in any organization larger than 5 people.

Show us something.
Did someone say beers?

Advertisement
I just know this, if we can’t win how are we gonna recruit these elite players UM want, they want to win or at least field an exciting team. I’m just worried about which recruits we can actually get that can aid to the catalyst of the culture change if we are playing ******.

I believe he will fix the bad culture, and bring much better talent here.. I have no worries in that department when it comes to him.

But non means anything to me, if he doesn’t realize his offensive philosophy can’t work in today’s football.

There aren't really any excuses and I'm certainly not an apologist. You can read my history on Mario. Even if he brought in 100% of his players this year (an impossibility), it takes time to build culture.
Don't take it personally. There are so many dudes on here so deep in their feelings right now; it's putting my toddlers' behavior to shame. It's a sad sight to see. I'm with you OP, just wondering if you are enjoying the dark theme now? When I see that clean bright version, I think of sterilization.

Advertisement
I do agree with you regarding the defense, and still have optimism on that side once the young guns at LB start getting burn.

What is going on with the offense is a different story. I’m really hoping Highsmith Rad and Mario have some answers because the Gattis plan is donezo
We need some speed at CB and we need Edge rushers. There is also some freelancing going on.

Steele and his crew deserve blame for a couple things that happened on Saturday, obviously, but they didn't take guys who previously showed X (production or flashes) and minimize them. We'll see how he adjusts going forward.

Lets not forget on top of players from the old regime...all the leeches in and around SFLA who add to the issue. Then mix in Social Media, Message Boards, etc.

SFLA is like no other place in the country with regards to youth and high school football. Its loaded but its also everyone just telling everyone how great they are, get paid, this loss isnt on you, etc.

I hope they go OOS more and more to start (which as you know will then **** off all the locals) but when they start winning then playing and winning for the home team becomes much more attractive. Everyone wants to glory and success until they see what it takes. The losses, the grind, etc. Its part of this process. If Mario is able to harness all the SFLA kids and put them on a roster and make it work...well we know what happens. But there is a lot more going on today then the pass so it is going to take some work.

We need some speed at CB and we need Edge rushers. There is also some freelancing going on.

Steele and his crew deserve blame for a couple things that happened on Saturday, obviously, but they didn't take guys who previously showed X (production or flashes) and minimize them. We'll see how he adjusts going forward.

Kam and JW0 will need to be heavy relied upon. Mostly zone going forward

If we still lose that way I’m fine chalking it up to talent deficiencies

Agree with you on the Steele Gattis comparison

Last edited:

None. There should be zero excuses.

Advertisement
Back