The culture change continues - Barry Jackson tidbits

I think all of those selfish personalities are either no longer on this team or just matured and accepted the situation.... Luther Robinson i know was one of those players but he turned the corner late last season and T. Howard was just young and immature wanting to be a Freshman All American.

The guys Clements could also be referring too were probably OL Jermaine Johnson (remember he left all of a sudden and was talking **** on twitter), maybe Kendall Thompkins, V. Telemaque, and J. Grimble..... i would be surprised if anybody else is on the roster still with that mentality.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Grimble is a guy that Golden brought in though. So how are you all criticizing the culture when it's a player that was only here during the Golden era?

Grimble was a last minute grab in the 2011 class IIRC. he was brought in to compete (when the staff had no time to evaluate guys on their own...the class was put together in a couple of months) and he didnt pan out.

that is not on the staff.

I love this and am a big fan of what Golden is doing....

BUT, lets be honest. We hear this every single fall camp. We always hear about how this years team if different than last years. I do think it's legit with Golden, however

3 certain things in life...

1. Death
2. Taxes
3. Xavier trying to put a negative spin on something positive said about the Don

As much as everyone loved EJ last year let's not forget about the tantrums he threw/locker cleaned out/busted assignments etc.

Advertisement
“[Golden] said, ‘If you are going to cry about reps, you might as well leave.’”

Oh Lawdy...

176.gif

Last edited:
3 certain things in life...

1. Death
2. Taxes
3. Xavier trying to put a negative spin on something positive said about the Don

All that's left to do is win games. Not sure why/how that's not considered a compliment.

Grimble is a guy that Golden brought in though. So how are you all criticizing the culture when it's a player that was only here during the Golden era?

Grimble was a last minute grab in the 2011 class IIRC. he was brought in to compete (when the staff had no time to evaluate guys on their own...the class was put together in a couple of months) and he didnt pan out.

The point is that this Grimble situation has nothing to do with a culture change whatsover. Bama has players like this on that roster the leave the team all the time. Do they need a culture change as well?

If anything, when you have guys like this leaving the team because they are too low on the DC and just aren't good enough...that's a good sign of where your program is.

How many guys kicked off/left the team this offseason? How many wins this offseason? Way more departures than wins this offseason. The Don needs to pull it together.

Advertisement

Grimble was a last minute grab in the 2011 class IIRC. he was brought in to compete (when the staff had no time to evaluate guys on their own...the class was put together in a couple of months) and he didnt pan out. that is not on the staff.

We can't have it both ways here. I love Golden too, but let's not suggest that he is flawless. Grimble is on him. Not a big deal, but Grimble was all Golden's. Also, I have not seen anything suggesting that Grimble was a bad apple, lazy, etc. I think he was just in a bad situation.

One of our few forays into catalog shopping. It did all seem to come together at the last minute. When Bakas informed us the night before that Grimble would sign with UM, we were very excited because he was a 5-star on Scout.

Grimble was a last minute grab in the 2011 class IIRC. he was brought in to compete (when the staff had no time to evaluate guys on their own...the class was put together in a couple of months) and he didnt pan out. that is not on the staff.

We can't have it both ways here. I love Golden too, but let's not suggest that he is flawless. Grimble is on him. Not a big deal, but Grimble was all Golden's. Also, I have not seen anything suggesting that Grimble was a bad apple, lazy, etc. I think he was just in a bad situation.

i dont think you can count much of anything from the 2011 class either way for AG on the evaluation side. he took whatever he could get at that time

It's not any one player. I'd bet that OT wasn't talking about just Jalen Grimble...

Advertisement
Grumble came because USC didn't have room. Waited til NSD for someone to flip from them and open a spot. Never happened.

It's not any one player. I'd bet that OT wasn't talking about just Jalen Grimble...

Exactly. Nobody even knows if Grimble was even one of those guys complaining. In todays interview, Golden addressed the situation, and said it was a mutual parting, presumably because Grimble wasn't going to see snaps this season. It could just be coach speak, but there is nothing to suggest at all that he was cancerous to the team.

Advertisement

But Golden also has built depth at the position where we're not paralyzed by his departure. 2 years ago this would of resulted in an OL having to switch to defense to fill the gap

Grimble was worth the 'risk' when we took him. A highly ranked player that they could not scout properly at a position we were desperate for. Would've been nice if he was turning into a world beater this season, but it didn't work out, and (thankfully) the other guys on the team are further along. Good luck to him wherever he goes, but the train isn't stopping for anyone.

i dont think you can count much of anything from the 2011 class either way for AG on the evaluation side. he took whatever he could get at that time

One of the few guys that was properly evaluated by Golden was Pierre because he'd recruited him to come to Temple.

We only had ONE guy committed (and a few leans) when Golden was hired, which was right before the dead period.

2011 was a patchwork class.

The point is that this Grimble situation has nothing to do with a culture change whatsover. Bama has players like this on that roster the leave the team all the time. Do they need a culture change as well?

If anything, when you have guys like this leaving the team because they are too low on the DC and just aren't good enough...that's a good sign of where your program is.

No coach/staff hits on 100% of their signees. They're happy if 80% work out.

Advertisement
Back