The common link among champions

View as article
Advertisement
Advertisement
This thread still holds true, IMO.

Michigan and Georgia were special on the DL.
sddefault.jpg

Yeah it's not wrong. I won't argue with it. A defensive line is vital to having a good defense. The old saying "defense wins championships" is a cliche for a reason. What a great, unique, thread worthy insight that merited a thread in the first place! Those teams listed in the original posts also had dudes at the other defensive positions.

What I read is an attempt to push a narrative how Mario will have us back in #26 when this DL class matures. That's the major takeaway I see by bringing this thread up now.

Advertisement
Yeah it's not wrong. I won't argue with it. A defensive line is vital to having a good defense. The old saying "defense wins championships" is a cliche for a reason. What a great, unique, thread worthy insight that merited a thread in the first place! Those teams listed in the original posts also had dudes at the other defensive positions.

What I read is an attempt to push a narrative how Mario will have us back in #26 when this DL class matures. That's the major takeaway I see by bringing this thread up now.
IMG_2682.gif

@DMoney

Idk man. I assume you're talking about McCarthy and Beck. I really hope this isn't another "you don't need an elite QB" thread. Its really more about their systems than their QB.

You can definitely say McCarthy didn't put up elite numbers. But we gotta acknowledge QBs aren't going to in that system. He's about to be a top 20 pick for a reason.

Carson Beck could've played better too (in his first year). But he didn't play poorly either. He was 59 yards short of 4k and never completed fewer than 65% in any game this year. And like McCarthy, he's also going to be a 1st round pick.

If you're referring only to their play not being "special" this year, I gotcha. But its not like they were so bad that their teams were winning in spite of them.

Advertisement
@DMoney

Idk man. I assume you're talking about McCarthy and Beck. I really hope this isn't another "you don't need an elite QB" thread. Its really more about their systems than their QB.

You can definitely say McCarthy didn't put up elite numbers. But we gotta acknowledge QBs aren't going to in that system. He's about to be a top 20 pick for a reason.

Carson Beck could've played better too (in his first year). But he didn't play poorly either. He was 59 yards short of 4k and never completed fewer than 65% in any game this year. And like McCarthy, he's also going to be a 1st round pick.

If you're referring only to their play not being "special" this year, I gotcha. But its not like they were so bad that their teams were winning in spite of them.
Beck is good and so is McCarthy. Bennett was more in the above-average category but he got drafted.

I don’t want to rehash the QB topic because we’ve been through that enough. This is more about the unique importance of DL.

Beck is good and so is McCarthy. Bennett was more in the above-average category but he got drafted.

I don’t want to rehash the QB topic because we’ve been through that enough. This is more about the unique importance of DL.
Based on the importance you state, Do you think we need 1 more DT via transfer portal?

I think we do. A veteran that can eat snaps like a Jordan Miller type.

Advertisement
What is CJ Clark?
I think he’s a better version of Jordan Miller. I would just like to see a veteran. Need another body there. We are set up nicely with the DE position and I I know Bain can play DT as well when needed.

With that said, we need to address ******* CB. I can’t believe we haven’t done **** there.

I think he’s a better version of Jordan Miller. I would just like to see a veteran guy. Need another body there. We are set up nicely with the DE position and I I know Bain can play DT as well when needed.
If we take another DT I would prefer someone closer to Taylor. I'm not sure JHH has another gear to hit.

I don't remember what game it was but it must have been from the 02/03/04 season.

The announcer said, "The Miami defense usually gets everything done with the front four. Now they're having to rely on the back seven to make plays."

When you have an elite D-Line (in a well designed scheme), the entire defense will look good, and the entire back seven can just focus on cleaning things up and playing fast.

The only way to counter that is by having an elite and mobile QB.

Advertisement
Back