Boxing The CIS Boxing Thread

Advertisement

Thoughts on the stoppage? I am biased because I’ve met mark Nelson (ref) and know his brother/family but the way it went down didn’t look good. I would’ve let j rock continue but I understand saving a man from more punishment. Also, Berlanga is still mid. A legit 168 will KO him

Thoughts on the stoppage? I am biased because I’ve met mark Nelson (ref) and know his brother/family but the way it went down didn’t look good. I would’ve let j rock continue but I understand saving a man from more punishment. Also, Berlanga is still mid. A legit 168 will KO him

Bad stoppage, IMO. To my eyes Williams was still defending himself, blocking some punches, using his feet to create distance (not just leaning), and countering every so often. Adames was winning the fight and Williams probably loses without the stoppage, but you never know (fighters have come back from worse). I also thought Round 8 was probably Williams's best since Round 3 and makes the stoppage a little worse.

Some thoughts on this past weekend in #boxing, my latest column..

Describing Berlanga as mid, might be a little too generous of you.

Advertisement
This week on 'the 3 Knockdown Rule', Antonio Tarver talks about the Mayweather-Gotti experience, beating Roy Jones, being around a young Floyd Mayweather and Fernando Vargas on the 96 Olympic team, and his thoughts on Spence-Crawford...

the latest on Jared Anderson, who is the best American heavyweight prospect in years..

Advertisement

Lmao! How pathetic. Guess big Charlo is a drunken mess at this point?
This is insane. Jermall going to 168 for his first fight was nuts, this is dangerous. Plus how did Mikey Garcia look jumping to 147 to fight Spence?

And I had more faith in Mikey than either Charlo.

This is insane. Jermall going to 168 for his first fight was nuts, this is dangerous. Plus how did Mikey Garcia look jumping to 147 to fight Spence?

And I had more faith in Mikey than either Charlo.
Everything’s been insane from the beginning apparently. How and why was something agreed to between Big Charlo and Canelo in the first place? Seems like Big Charlo is not in a good place at all. How was this not known from the get-go?

So now Canelo fights a guy from 154 instead of the best guy from 168 instead of DB. That’s just sad. And I agree, it’s very dangerous.

Advertisement
Everything’s been insane from the beginning apparently. How and why was something agreed to between Big Charlo and Canelo in the first place? Seems like Big Charlo is not in a good place at all. How was this not known from the get-go?

So now Canelo fights a guy from 154 instead of the best guy from 168 instead of DB. That’s just sad. And I agree, it’s very dangerous.
It's a combination of a) the Canelo victory tour/cash grab on his way out b) the leverage Floyd "taught" boxing about being the A side and and being able to make, and get away with, ridiculous demands, and c) boxing's current lack of a bigger star than Canelo.

The only dude who seems to get this is Bivol. And that's why they aren't fighting again, at least under Canelo's terms.

As to "C", boxing really needs a younger guy to step forward. Regardless of Spence/Crawford, I don't think that winner is the guy as he simply is not the future. Unless it is an American Heavyweight, it needs to be a younger dude somewhere around 147 who can capture the public's attention. Maybe Shakur? But he needs much higher profile fights to begin that conversation and he needs to show he has "it" for marketing purposes. Teo could maybe be that guy, if you have faith in his mental stability. I absolutely believe Tank will self-destruct. Boots? Ortiz? We just haven't seen nearly enough to even guess.

Thoughts?

my latest on Canelo facing Jermell, and not Jermall Charlo..

Advertisement
this week on 'the 3 Knockdown Rule', we welcome Jaron 'Boots' Ennis to the show, and review last weekends action, and preview Ortiz-Stanionis...

my latest on Canelo facing Jermell, and not Jermall Charlo..

I’ll admit I’m more excited about seeing Little Charlo especially after hearing he walks around 180. Guess i never realized he was a weight bully at 154. i hope Charlo pulls it off. If he does, perhaps the question @rustywalkedaway asked would partially be answered.

Maybe not so much the future of boxing but maybe Charlo becomes the face of boxing. He’s been awesome at 154. A win over Canelo would take him to another level of fame. Let’s go Charlo!

I’ll admit I’m more excited about seeing Little Charlo especially after hearing he walks around 180. Guess i never realized he was a weight bully at 154. i hope Charlo pulls it off. If he does, perhaps the question @rustywalkedaway asked would partially be answered.

Maybe not so much the future of boxing but maybe Charlo becomes the face of boxing. He’s been awesome at 154. A win over Canelo would take him to another level of fame. Let’s go Charlo!
Less than impressed with mini-Charlo. He is the best of a solid division, and is undisputed. That is a big deal. It, in light of politics and resume, it not as big as I seems. As I said in another thread, he is Jermain Taylor. When he beats someone, who is actually good, let me know.

A fading Canelo will whip his ***. Canelo is bigger (forget the measures and look at the weight classes) and better, even though on the downside.

Less than impressed with mini-Charlo. He is the best of a solid division, and is undisputed. That is a big deal. It, in light of politics and resume, it not as big as I seems. As I said in another thread, he is Jermain Taylor. When he beats someone, who is actually good, let me know.

A fading Canelo will whip his ***. Canelo is bigger (forget the measures and look at the weight classes) and better, even though on the downside.
Let’s hope he’s no where like Jermain Taylor lol. (Out of the ring of course)

Advertisement
Back