Boxing The CIS Boxing Thread

Advertisement
my thoughts on Tim Tszyu and Regis Prograis this weekend..

1. LOVE fights at the armory.
2. Prograis did not look good. Seemed confused, either did not have or did not execute any gameplay, and chased rather than cut off. This was really disappointing as I like him and he had a chance to make a serious statement at 140. The result was that he showed he was good, but he did nothing to truly separate himself from others. Another fight like this and he becomes the Danny Garcia of 140.

Canelo is a joke at this point. Speaking of, doesn’t seem like we have any Canelo fans in this thread.
He isn't a joke. He is a fading fighter who knows what leverage he has had, but seems to not understand it is fading. My theory is that the most marketable fighter, at any given time, is an American heavyweight champion. If there is not one of those, then we go to the most popular Mexican guy in the middle weights. That is what Canelo has been for a few years.

People overlook the impact of Floyd on boxing, and on Canelo particularly. Floyd made the Canelo fight while he was really developing the whole "A side" public negotiating strategy. Canelo was the B side then, but he's become the A side in any fight for the past half decade. So that's what he's trying to continue now. Jack sees it and isn't willing. Bivol seems to think he doesn't even need Canelo.. But Canelo will soon find a dude who is willing to take a small purse percentage and stipulate to anything from gloves, to ring, to weight, to date, to venue, just to get that "Canelo payday" that likely also equals a loss before the fight even begins.

It is exactly what we saw for the last third (maybe half?) of Floyd's career. You may have wanted to see him, but did you ever think the match was any kind of toss up before it began?

He isn't a joke. He is a fading fighter who knows what leverage he has had, but seems to not understand it is fading. My theory is that the most marketable fighter, at any given time, is an American heavyweight champion. If there is not one of those, then we go to the most popular Mexican guy in the middle weights. That is what Canelo has been for a few years.

People overlook the impact of Floyd on boxing, and on Canelo particularly. Floyd made the Canelo fight while he was really developing the whole "A side" public negotiating strategy. Canelo was the B side then, but he's become the A side in any fight for the past half decade. So that's what he's trying to continue now. Jack sees it and isn't willing. Bivol seems to think he doesn't even need Canelo.. But Canelo will soon find a dude who is willing to take a small purse percentage and stipulate to anything from gloves, to ring, to weight, to date, to venue, just to get that "Canelo payday" that likely also equals a loss before the fight even begins.

It is exactly what we saw for the last third (maybe half?) of Floyd's career. You may have wanted to see him, but did you ever think the match was any kind of toss up before it began?

Regarding Floyd, no. Literately nobody had a chance. It's why he fought them. The guy's he fought on his little 6 fight contract....... hilarious. (Which included a very young Canelo) Canelo is a joke to me though and a lot of it has to do with his politicking and influence on the sport as well as the failed drug test. Canelo should have 4 loses not 2. He did not beat GGG the first time. Lara beat him too in my opinion.

Regarding Floyd, no. Literately nobody had a chance. It's why he fought them. The guy's he fought on his little 6 fight contract....... hilarious. (Which included a very young Canelo) Canelo is a joke to me though and a lot of it has to do with his politicking and influence on the sport as well as the failed drug test. Canelo should have 4 loses not 2. He did not beat GGG the first time. Lara beat him too in my opinion.
It's just,...I don't know... mostly a waste of time? I'm looking at fight cards and seeing the promoters (and fighters) market higher profile individual fighters, but not real fights.

Boxers have short careers. During those years you have to make your money AND your legacy. There are some really good, or really promising, fighters out there now, but they largely avoid each other. ****, a while back the top 4 guys at light-heavy were all undefeated. All that shows is that none of them fought each other. So I give Loma/Haney, Garcia/Tank credit for, at least, taking the fights. Same thing with the upcoming Ortiz fight.

I keep coming back to the careers of Floyd and Sugar Ray. Floyd made (and is making) more money than Leonard. But if they existed in the same era, I think earnings would be comparable, but who they actually fought would not be. I wonder, if they were of comparable age, if a fight between them ever even got made. I suspect Leonard would look at the money and challenge and say "yes", where Floyd would look at the money (including other options) and risk and say "no".

Advertisement
1. LOVE fights at the armory.
2. Prograis did not look good. Seemed confused, either did not have or did not execute any gameplay, and chased rather than cut off. This was really disappointing as I like him and he had a chance to make a serious statement at 140. The result was that he showed he was good, but he did nothing to truly separate himself from others. Another fight like this and he becomes the Danny Garcia of 140.

Rusty, I cant disagree with anything you say. Regis had a bad night. But maybe it's his version of Sandor Martin(who style made Teofimo Lopez fits back in December). Sometimes you just face a guy who you don't have any answers for

Heavily disagree, floyd was just a different level thats why they didn’t have a chance. Floyd fought wayy more competition than canelo, no way floyd is fighting a billy joe sanders at the height of jis career. I think we underrate (idk how) floyd resume he fought tough ***** fights he just was way better than everyone. Canelo is not from that cloth

Advertisement
'the 3 Knockdown Rule', this week Tim Bradley joined us to talk about his Hall-of-Fame induction, this past weekend, Spence-Crawford, Inoue-Crawford, Teofimo Lopez, etc..

the latest #K9sCorner on the situation involving David Morell and David Benavidez..

the latest #K9sCorner on the situation involving David Morell and David Benavidez..

While Benavidez might be a bit too risky and dangerous for Canelo at this stage of his career. Well, the same may apply for Morrell as it relates to Benavidez, who is higher up on the pecking order of PBC. With the news that Benavidez had no real interest in facing him, **** hath no fury like Morrell scorned.

In what was one of the most memorable press releases that has ever landed in this email box, Morrell stated: “David Benavidez is a big *****. His dad is a big fraud always talking like he’s some tough guy but he’s just a small man with little man complex. His brother wants to be gangster who talks a lot of **** but got knocked out by Crawford and did a horrible job in the move Creed. The Benavidez’ are a bunch of cowards.

"This is the guy you call The Mexican Monster? He’s a fraud. This is the guy everyone is building up. I see a fat insecure boy…that’s what I see. Benavidez couldn’t walk down any street in Cuba without getting his shoes taken. Funny he calls Canelo a duck, who's the duck now?"

(But outside of that, I'm sure he has great respect for Benavidez and his family.)

THAT WAS FUNNY!

While Benavidez might be a bit too risky and dangerous for Canelo at this stage of his career. Well, the same may apply for Morrell as it relates to Benavidez, who is higher up on the pecking order of PBC. With the news that Benavidez had no real interest in facing him, **** hath no fury like Morrell scorned.

In what was one of the most memorable press releases that has ever landed in this email box, Morrell stated: “David Benavidez is a big *****. His dad is a big fraud always talking like he’s some tough guy but he’s just a small man with little man complex. His brother wants to be gangster who talks a lot of **** but got knocked out by Crawford and did a horrible job in the move Creed. The Benavidez’ are a bunch of cowards.

"This is the guy you call The Mexican Monster? He’s a fraud. This is the guy everyone is building up. I see a fat insecure boy…that’s what I see. Benavidez couldn’t walk down any street in Cuba without getting his shoes taken. Funny he calls Canelo a duck, who's the duck now?"

(But outside of that, I'm sure he has great respect for Benavidez and his family.)

THAT WAS FUNNY!
The brother truly is a wannabe gangster lol.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Im guessing the 3 will be charlo, andrade or some random lol and spence at a catch weight next year? That would be a huge fight , too much money for it not to happen imo

Im guessing the 3 will be charlo, andrade or some random lol and spence at a catch weight next year? That would be a huge fight , too much money for it not to happen imo

I think DB gets his shot after Charlo. Then perhaps it will be Andrade. I have no plans in watching Charlo vs Canelo. I’ll make plans to clean out my closet that night since i’ll need something to do.

Advertisement
Back