The case for Dan Enos

We'll soon find out if Manny knows what he's doing. Im willing to give him the benefit of any doubt for now.

He's choosing HIS staff not yours or mine. I'm not going to complain until there is something to complain about. No need to worry now. As long as he's happy with his selections that is all that counts. We have plenty of time to judge the results of his decisions......now is not the time

Advertisement
I live in Alabama (God help me) and when Enos' name first showed up as a candidate in another thread I kinda brushed it off as a pipe dream. This guy is one of the best football coaches in the country, hands-down. He is a major quarterback whisperer. Everywhere he's gone, the QBs put up ridiculous numbers. At Arkansas he groomed the two Allens (Brandon and Austin) to back-to-back 3000 yard seasons. We all saw what he did with Tua this year, and even had Hurts prepared to step in and win the SEC Championship game - Hurts looked more like a QB in that game than in any other during his career. This guy will get the absolute most out of the QB room.

Further, despite the internet mopery, he does NOT run a plodding offense. Is it "pro-style"? I guess, but a better term might be "power run/vertical pass." Here's a pretty good article on him at Arkansas: https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/a...ielema-plus-enos-match-made-offensive-heaven/

As you can see, Bielema is a run-first coach and so that's what Enos ran there. BUT, you can also see from that article (and others, I'll do a breakdown at some point too) that Enos likes to run out of passing formations and vice-versa. Will he line up in 5-wide sets every down? Probably not, but don't think for a second that this is a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" scheme. QBs have put up gaudy numbers in his offenses - so have running backs - and make no mistake, if Manny wants our offense to run tempo, Enos will run tempo. He's a brilliant offensive mind.

Briefly also, Enos can recruit, has head coaching experience, has been part of a winning and championship-level culture, and was literally on his way to being OC at Alabama before Manny poached him. The Roll Tide-rs down here are in shock that he's leaving. I don't believe the whole "if Saban wanted him he'd still be there" crap. Saban wanted him. So did Kirby. So did a lot of coaches. But he's now the Offensive Coordinator and Quarterbacks Coach at Miami. And yes, in my opinion, it's a home run.

Great post. I totally agree with your assessments.

UM's offense just got better. UM's QBs are going to be held to a much higher standard, so the team just got better. The offensive coaching just got better, so the kids are going to be better prepared and perform better.

Anyone, who knows anything about the Razorbacks under Beilma, knows Bielema's offensive philosophy depends heavily on the ground game. He is a Barry Alvarez disciple.

I just want the offense to be efficient and productive, I don't care what you call it. If you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig. I like the hire because it's all steak no sizzle. The flip side is this if Enos transforms UM's offense into a top-25 unit or better. He is most likely gone at season's end.

FWIW I haven't seen a single Arkansas fan that speaks ill of him. Most say that Bielema probably held him back a little with his offensive philosophy. I would expect Enos' offense to be a more wide open version of that plus whatever he picked up at Bama.

Advertisement
FWIW I haven't seen a single Arkansas fan that speaks ill of him. Most say that Bielema probably held him back a little with his offensive philosophy. I would expect Enos' offense to be a more wide open version of that plus whatever he picked up at Bama.

I could get behind this. But I'd need to see it to believe it first.

I live in Alabama (God help me) and when Enos' name first showed up as a candidate in another thread I kinda brushed it off as a pipe dream. This guy is one of the best football coaches in the country, hands-down. He is a major quarterback whisperer. Everywhere he's gone, the QBs put up ridiculous numbers. At Arkansas he groomed the two Allens (Brandon and Austin) to back-to-back 3000 yard seasons. We all saw what he did with Tua this year, and even had Hurts prepared to step in and win the SEC Championship game - Hurts looked more like a QB in that game than in any other during his career. This guy will get the absolute most out of the QB room.

Further, despite the internet mopery, he does NOT run a plodding offense. Is it "pro-style"? I guess, but a better term might be "power run/vertical pass." Here's a pretty good article on him at Arkansas: https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/a...ielema-plus-enos-match-made-offensive-heaven/

As you can see, Bielema is a run-first coach and so that's what Enos ran there. BUT, you can also see from that article (and others, I'll do a breakdown at some point too) that Enos likes to run out of passing formations and vice-versa. Will he line up in 5-wide sets every down? Probably not, but don't think for a second that this is a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" scheme. QBs have put up gaudy numbers in his offenses - so have running backs - and make no mistake, if Manny wants our offense to run tempo, Enos will run tempo. He's a brilliant offensive mind.

Briefly also, Enos can recruit, has head coaching experience, has been part of a winning and championship-level culture, and was literally on his way to being OC at Alabama before Manny poached him. The Roll Tide-rs down here are in shock that he's leaving. I don't believe the whole "if Saban wanted him he'd still be there" crap. Saban wanted him. So did Kirby. So did a lot of coaches. But he's now the Offensive Coordinator and Quarterbacks Coach at Miami. And yes, in my opinion, it's a home run.
Any specifics on his recruiting ability? That's the one big question I still have (for both coordinators actually).

Not really. Taggart was an offensive minded coach, but NOBODY considered him an offensive genius that had this offensive philosophy you wanted to get a piece of. Taggart didn't adopt the "Gulf Coast" until 2015-2016-ish. Before then he was running a completely different offensive system. That's how bad of an offensive mind Taggart is/was: he had to re-learn offense.

Taggart's claim to fame is his recruiting, not him being some "plug and play" offensive genius.
Plug and play!! Lmao

Advertisement
Well, I'm not exactly planting a flag for Enos either, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until he can prove to me one way or another what type of coach he is. He wasn't my first choice but I'm not going to throw a fit either.

I'm still waiting for the offense that Tito Fuente runs at Virginia Tech to look anything like the one he ran at Memphis. Easier to score 40 against the Tulsa Golden Hurricanes than the Miami Hurricanes.
And it was so many of these brilliant fans want.

The funny thing is, if he were promoted at Bama to OC, and then proceeded to field a top 5 offense, then everyone in here would be happy.

It’s all about video game numbers to some of y’all.

What I like is that we’re not seeing Manny doing the nepotism thing.

He’s already demoted his protégés
We assumed Applewhite was the hire simply b/c he’s familiar w him.

At first, I wasn’t thrilled w the hire, but he wants to put on for HIS city. If he’s given the resources, I think he can very successful here

I really don't understand how anybody can read that and be excited. The entire premise of that article is that their OL was SO dominant, that it allowed them to bully teams, and then take advantage of teams being forced to commit to stopping this juggernaut of an OL by easy play action.

That isn't going to work here. ****, it didn't work at Arkansas. Once that line graduated, the offense collapsed. Because the fundamentals of the offensive scheme, absolutely sucked.
To be fair, no offense works without a good OL

Advertisement
But you're basing your satisfaction with hiring Enos, based on, in part, Kirby Smart wanting him. Meaning you have to like Smart's judgement of offensive schemes.

Smart's 3 Choices are: 1. Chaney. 2. Enos. 3. Coley

How many of them would you be happy with?
And you just never answered. Pure garbage. Read Lance breakdown?

Advertisement
Everybody needs to use the Dan Enos threads as a guideline going forward.
We all now know who to listen to when they talk football. And who not to listen to when they talk football.
Who is merely a propagandist for the Ministry of Disinformation, and who is actually a freedom fighter trying to save this football program.

penos.jpeg

I'll post it again. Analytic nerds can spin number any way they want to help prove a point. "the data the data" is their battle cry. They actually said you dont need a good running game to run play action. The data says that. Yeah sure. Ask CMU how our amazing play action fooled them today.

Advertisement
Back