The Calm After The Storm

The play was what it was. People trash the person and his game. We have a terrible and classless fanbase. I’d bet money that you took the time to post this, but you’ve never posted a positive thing about him here previously. Prove me wrong, if we are being honest here. I said nothing about the muffed punt in my post fwiw.
Welcome to the internet where negatives are posted more than positives.
I haven't seen anyone trashing Stevenson except for pretty much that dumbass decision he made on the PR.

Advertisement
We have people trashing Tyrique Stevenson. The kid left Georgia and came home. He was projected as the highest Cane on last years team to go in the draft. He would have gone in the third round. He stayed and is expected to go in the first round this coming draft. He’s given up two passes in three games. The one he gave up against Bethune Cookman, he blocked the field goal attempt. The kid played three games last year with a busted up shoulder that needed surgery. He’s trashed daily here…. WTF
FWIW I’m a big fan. Kids a warrior, probably a safety in the league IMO. Has the right stuff to be a long time NFL vet.

We have people trashing Tyrique Stevenson. The kid left Georgia and came home. He was projected as the highest Cane on last years team to go in the draft. He would have gone in the third round. He stayed and is expected to go in the first round this coming draft. He’s given up two passes in three games. The one he gave up against Bethune Cookman, he blocked the field goal attempt. The kid played three games last year with a busted up shoulder that needed surgery. He’s trashed daily here…. WTF

No one's really trashed Tyrique... now if you say Flagg or Ivey, you have a case.

Only criticism of Tyrique has been on his technique and judgment on fielding that punt.

..... and Mario for sending him out there again, shell shocked and scared of touching another punt

This is all semantics. What is a good team? What is a bad team? What is a great team?

Prior to the season everyone thought we'd lose at AtM and Clemson.

It's just funny how expectations changed overnight because we could have or should have won.

As I said, I don't think AtM is bad, I just think we are better than them. I didn't think that before Saturday night.

I think this team can win a lot of games and compete for an ACC title if we get the passing game figured out.
did you watch atm prior to our game against them? did you think with your own eyes that ATM is a team who we thought they were when we saw their #6 ranking? against sam Houston or against app? the same app that needed a Hail Mary the following week or the team that allowed 60 plus against UNC the week prior?

I agree on your last part. I think our run game and defense is great. I think it all falls apart if the passing game doesn't get figured out though and thats the diff between a 10-2 year and a 7-5 8-4 year

I agree w ur last sentiment, but what makes u think A&M is a good team?

-Was it their 8-4 record last yr?
-Their 8-5 record in 2019?
-Their 9-4 record in 2018?

Or is it based upon the fluke Covid year, along w/ the hype they received for cashing out to get the #1 recruiting class of 2022, all who are babies?(CFB, wise)

It wasn’t that they just overlooked App St, it’s that they also struggled to put up 31 on Sam Houston State, and the weather delay helped them tremendously. We could’ve & should’ve won that game b/c we were the better team. The ONLY reason I had this as a L on my schedule was b/c I knew:

1. The make up of this team still have residual FIU Losses, UNC records, & slip & slide DNA in it

2. The O we want to run is not conducive against a team who’s O is poor, but their def is top notch

3. Young team on the road playing against the biggest home crowd they’ve ever seen

4. Not having a clear cut difference maker at WR, my concern that I’ve echo’d since Day 1 has been playmakers or lack thereof.

5. New playbook/language against an established playbook/language

That’s the growing pain side of things that I tried to sincerely admonish for all to take in consideration, but I knew after just ONE loss, well, we see the threads.
to add to your point, I honestly saw two average teams last weekend out there. there were good parts to both teams but overall, it just seemed like two pretty ho hum average teams. again, all this can change in an instant too. still plenty of season left

Advertisement
OK, my friends. Breaking News:

We lost.

Who would’ve known that a team who barely went 7-5 last yr, w/ a QB who really had only one real target that’s no longer here, would lose a game on the road in a hostile environment to a SEC team? I get the anger; there’s plenty of blame to go around this game:

-From The Coaching Staff: clock mgmt was atrocious, and play calls in the green zone (commonly referred to as red zone) was head scratching

-From The Players: The Special Teams unit was god awful, & it literally cost us the game. Poor tackling on a couple of drives led to A&M close to putting a final nail in the coffin. Those pesky drops that was reported in camp? Yeah, they came out at night, like The Freaks; and while the OL did well throughout the game, costly penalties took steam out the boat on several occasions.

Those are the facts; but, there appears to be another fact some refuse to accept. It’s a fact I stated on @LeedsCane podcast, it’s a fact that I created a thread on. The fact is, this team is good, but it’s not great. This team, this culture that has been riddled with bad evals, fit pieces, and an overall lack of winning is still here. Yet, some convinced themselves that just b/c a new staff w/ some hot names came on board, that would change this culture in one year; how?

I tried to tell u guys numerous of times stop comparing us to SC, why? B/c SC is the only game in town; they are So Cal’s team. SC have won a Nat’l title in the past 18 yrs, we haven’t. SC have won their conference several times in the past 18 yrs, we haven’t. SC have won multiple NY6 bowls in the past 18 yrs, we haven’t. Friends, let me be clear, & I need u all to truly understand this: The chit that’s talked about other schools, they’ve all faired better than us in the last 18 yrs.

Here’s the silver lining; a change have been seen:

-The OL is playing way better than we’ve seen in some time.

-Our RB room, while not 2001 worthy, has 3 guys who can get theirs w/ 2 of those RBs who are small in stature, but big in heart & effort

-Our defense, while filled w/ some holes, have been holding us down while the offense have been trying to find its sea legs.

We were in this game until the clock struck zero. There are no moral victories; the fact is, we did lose to a bad 8&4 team, and we can blame ourselves on several things, but that’s the point. As long as I can remember, this Miami Hurricanes team have shot themselves in the foot, & it’s from little things that snowball in to bigger issues. That’s culture, folks. That’s what u can’t account for on paper. Mario has been transparent this entire time, yet the reason you feel this vitriol is b/c despite what u saw from The Spring Game, despite what Mario continue to say, u saw us beat up on BCU & come out & smoke So. Miss in the 2nd Half. That stubborn 15-0 mentality crept in & now u’re disappointed faced w/ reality. That’s shame on u, not on them.

Listen, I’m not always right, but my post history shows I’m more right than wrong. I don’t get emotionally caught as most fanatics, I try to base things on facts (hence, y I provide current & historical stats/records, etc.) The fact is, TVD is missing his #1 target, Rambo. Our WR room is filled w/ 3rd down, chain movers, not play/difference makers that can stretch the field or game plan around. The defense has “some guys”, but that too is lacking play makers throughout.

We’ll win next week, against another poor G5 team, and I promise, we’ll see the 14-1 crowd rear it’s head, but when I said I see this team as an 8 win regular season team, I didn’t look at names on the roster, I looked at a change in culture. I looked at an offense that want to be ran v. personnel to run it.

If u’re calling for Gattis’ or Mario’s head after one defeat, that’s b/c u drank the Kool Aid as opposed to being reasonable in realizing that 80% of a roster that scraped by to go 7-5 is still here, while a big part of that production on O is gone. R-E-L-A-X; this is not a 1yr turn around; it’s a 2-3 yr joint. Our portal hits were not difference makers; it was depth guys. Also, remember this roster is still fairly young, where our best players are Sophomores, which means they too are still learning.

There’s a lot to look forward to, but at the same time, realize that calling every team on our schedule weak hasn’t meant chit in 18 yrs. Sit back, enjoy the process, criticize certain things, but don’t blow it up after one game. Lol. Stop sipping Kool-Aid; it’s bad for ur teeth & mental health.
I think alot of what you said is accruate. We need alot of changes to compete at the highest levels. But who the **** else on our schedule besides Clemson is in better shape that 8 wins is the reality? If that is the case, we will have messed up as a a coaching staff again.

did you watch atm prior to our game against them? did you think with your own eyes that ATM is a team who we thought they were when we saw their #6 ranking? against sam Houston or against app? the same app that needed a Hail Mary the following week or the team that allowed 60 plus against UNC the week prior?

I agree on your last part. I think our run game and defense is great. I think it all falls apart if the passing game doesn't get figured out though and thats the diff between a 10-2 year and a 7-5 8-4 year
No they were not #6, but they are not a bad team either. Florida nearly lost to S Florida and #10 Arkansas was losing to FCS Missouri St for most of the game. Are those teams bad or were they overlooking their opponents?

AtM overlooked App St looking forward to us. They certainly played much better against us. People get so hung up on who lost to who and draw conclusions.

Do teams get better each week or do they stay the same every game? Just asking for a friend.

No they were not #6, but they are not a bad team either. Florida nearly lost to S Florida and #10 Arkansas was losing to FCS Missouri St for most of the game. Are those teams bad or were they overlooking their opponents?

AtM overlooked App St looking forward to us. They certainly played much better against us. People get so hung up on who lost to who and draw conclusions.

Do teams get better each week or do they stay the same every game? Just asking for a friend.
so what was their excuse for looking like **** against SHSU. stop this. for three games, they looked bad. every one of them. not just against app state

I think alot of what you said is accruate. We need alot of changes to compete at the highest levels. But who the **** else on our schedule besides Clemson is in better shape that 8 wins is the reality? If that is the case, we will have messed up as a a coaching staff again.
UNC can light up the scoreboard
VT has a really good defense, but their O looks shaky (like A&M)
Pitt is always going to be a problem (but I think they may have QB issues now)

So we’ll see, bro.

Advertisement
I
OK, my friends. Breaking News:

We lost.

Who would’ve known that a team who barely went 7-5 last yr, w/ a QB who really had only one real target that’s no longer here, would lose a game on the road in a hostile environment to a SEC team? I get the anger; there’s plenty of blame to go around this game:

-From The Coaching Staff: clock mgmt was atrocious, and play calls in the green zone (commonly referred to as red zone) was head scratching

-From The Players: The Special Teams unit was god awful, & it literally cost us the game. Poor tackling on a couple of drives led to A&M close to putting a final nail in the coffin. Those pesky drops that was reported in camp? Yeah, they came out at night, like The Freaks; and while the OL did well throughout the game, costly penalties took steam out the boat on several occasions.

Those are the facts; but, there appears to be another fact some refuse to accept. It’s a fact I stated on @LeedsCane podcast, it’s a fact that I created a thread on. The fact is, this team is good, but it’s not great. This team, this culture that has been riddled with bad evals, fit pieces, and an overall lack of winning is still here. Yet, some convinced themselves that just b/c a new staff w/ some hot names came on board, that would change this culture in one year; how?

I tried to tell u guys numerous of times stop comparing us to SC, why? B/c SC is the only game in town; they are So Cal’s team. SC have won a Nat’l title in the past 18 yrs, we haven’t. SC have won their conference several times in the past 18 yrs, we haven’t. SC have won multiple NY6 bowls in the past 18 yrs, we haven’t. Friends, let me be clear, & I need u all to truly understand this: The chit that’s talked about other schools, they’ve all faired better than us in the last 18 yrs.

Here’s the silver lining; a change have been seen:

-The OL is playing way better than we’ve seen in some time.

-Our RB room, while not 2001 worthy, has 3 guys who can get theirs w/ 2 of those RBs who are small in stature, but big in heart & effort

-Our defense, while filled w/ some holes, have been holding us down while the offense have been trying to find its sea legs.

We were in this game until the clock struck zero. There are no moral victories; the fact is, we did lose to a bad 8&4 team, and we can blame ourselves on several things, but that’s the point. As long as I can remember, this Miami Hurricanes team have shot themselves in the foot, & it’s from little things that snowball in to bigger issues. That’s culture, folks. That’s what u can’t account for on paper. Mario has been transparent this entire time, yet the reason you feel this vitriol is b/c despite what u saw from The Spring Game, despite what Mario continue to say, u saw us beat up on BCU & come out & smoke So. Miss in the 2nd Half. That stubborn 15-0 mentality crept in & now u’re disappointed faced w/ reality. That’s shame on u, not on them.

Listen, I’m not always right, but my post history shows I’m more right than wrong. I don’t get emotionally caught as most fanatics, I try to base things on facts (hence, y I provide current & historical stats/records, etc.) The fact is, TVD is missing his #1 target, Rambo. Our WR room is filled w/ 3rd down, chain movers, not play/difference makers that can stretch the field or game plan around. The defense has “some guys”, but that too is lacking play makers throughout.

We’ll win next week, against another poor G5 team, and I promise, we’ll see the 14-1 crowd rear it’s head, but when I said I see this team as an 8 win regular season team, I didn’t look at names on the roster, I looked at a change in culture. I looked at an offense that want to be ran v. personnel to run it.

If u’re calling for Gattis’ or Mario’s head after one defeat, that’s b/c u drank the Kool Aid as opposed to being reasonable in realizing that 80% of a roster that scraped by to go 7-5 is still here, while a big part of that production on O is gone. R-E-L-A-X; this is not a 1yr turn around; it’s a 2-3 yr joint. Our portal hits were not difference makers; it was depth guys. Also, remember this roster is still fairly young, where our best players are Sophomores, which means they too are still learning.

There’s a lot to look forward to, but at the same time, realize that calling every team on our schedule weak hasn’t meant chit in 18 yrs. Sit back, enjoy the process, criticize certain things, but don’t blow it up after one game. Lol. Stop sipping Kool-Aid; it’s bad for ur teeth & mental health.
I don't think I've ever seen someone get over 200 "likes" for one post... Good job... 😁😁

and dont discount FSU man
Fck; yeah, u’re right. Good looking; I was like there’s another team I’m missing.

W/ this roster, nothing is promised. We don’t have a roster where room for error can be tolerated. We’ve seen some less than stellar games w/ the 2000-2002 teams (see Syracuse in 2000, BC 2001, & Pitt in 2002) we just saw Bama struggle against UT 2 weeks ago. The difference between great teams & decent teams is that great teams can play a C game against an opponent they’re better than & win by 15+, and play a D- game & find a way to win by a point or two. Decent teams? That C game “can” cause a L.

Our roster is decent, which means our room for error moving into conference play is not large.

Advertisement
UNC can light up the scoreboard
VT has a really good defense, but their O looks shaky (like A&M)
Pitt is always going to be a problem (but I think they may have QB issues now)

So we’ll see, bro.
Ya know .. I'm done with what other teams do or have done... When we're on the field with people all previous history is invalid....
For whatever reason it still feels like we're everyone else's Superbowl game and they all seem to play at another level...
In all seriousness we really need to treat each game like it's the last game ever... Urgency matters...
I have faith in Mario and more than understand it's gonna take a few classes to see the kind of change we really wanna see..

I refu
Fck; yeah, u’re right. Good looking; I was like there’s another team I’m missing.

W/ this roster, nothing is promised. We don’t have a roster where room for error can be tolerated. We’ve seen some less than stellar games w/ the 2000-2002 teams (see Syracuse in 2000, BC 2001, & Pitt in 2002) we just saw Bama struggle against UT 2 weeks ago. The difference between great teams & decent teams is that great teams can play a C game against an opponent they’re better than & win by 15+, and play a D- game & find a way to win by a point or two. Decent teams? That C game “can” cause a L.

Our roster is decent, which means our room for error moving into conference play is not large.
I refuse to comment on FSU till FSU week.. just not gonna do it... Lol

Ya know .. I'm done with what other teams do or have done... When we're on the field with people all previous history is invalid....
For whatever reason it still feels like we're everyone else's Superbowl game and they all seem to play at another level...
In all seriousness we really need to treat each game like it's the last game ever... Urgency matters...
I have faith in Mario and more than understand it's gonna take a few classes to see the kind of change we really wanna see..

That’s culture too, bro. I keep thinking back to all the chit Butch had to change coming in. Not just the sanctions, but the f’d up mentality that seeped through under D.E. Since @SWFLHurricane @Brooklyndee were intimate to the situation, maybe they can chime in on how talent & culture are not synonymous, and the time it takes to weed out old chit.

Advertisement
That’s culture too, bro. I keep thinking back to all the chit Butch had to change coming in. Not just the sanctions, but the f’d up mentality that seeped through under D.E. Since @SWFLHurricane @Brooklyndee were intimate to the situation, maybe they can chime in on how talent & culture are not synonymous, and the time it takes to weed out old chit.
Truth be told, Mario inherited as much talent from Diaz, as Butch inherited from DE. Thing is, Butch had to deal with 30 schollie loss...no TV or Bowl for a yr. Terrible public perception, highlighted by Marlin Barnes murder on Campus, the SI Cover...which made things that much harder from A to Z. Mario has a few HUGE advantages that Butch never had. Support from the Entire Administration. And a Financial Backer in Ruiz. Another advantage is Pay between the two. Huge disparity in that....Anotherwords, no more excuses going forward....Butch had legitimate excuses in 95-97....To not atleast Win 9 games this yr would be inexcusable. Too much talent to not win 9. I don't think that's asking too much.

agreed.

we also run stuff that requires us to be precise esp w the limitations on the roster. I thought against ATM, we played a B game (turnovers passing offense drops etc hurt the grade) but dominated elsewhere and still lost by the spread.

well see what happens against teams where we have to score to win (UNC being one)

e
Truth be told, Mario inherited as much talent from Diaz, as Butch inherited from DE. Thing is, Butch had to deal with 30 schollie loss...no TV or Bowl for a yr. Terrible public perception, highlighted by Marlin Barnes murder on Campus, the SI Cover...which made things that much harder from A to Z. Mario has a few HUGE advantages that Butch never had. Support from the Entire Administration. And a Financial Backer in Ruiz. Another advantage is Pay between the two. Huge disparity in that....Anotherwords, no more excuses going forward....Butch had legitimate excuses in 95-97....To not atleast Win 9 games this yr would be inexcusable. Too much talent to not win 9. I don't think that's asking too much.
esp w the schedule. we had a tougher non conference slate last year. this year were getting three gimme wins

I thought Mario in terms of talent got a decent to good hand compared to what others got when they got here. obviously the roster has holes but a foundation w a good QB room, a good TE room, and talent on the OL (not elite guys but enough to work w for Mario To improve it overnight), talent at S, talent on the DL talent , and at RB (rooster, Chaney, thad)

Advertisement
Back