The Calm After The Storm

View as article
I'm you're huckleberry. On Mario, Gattis, both or either?
100% in or 100% out on everyone. No people picking and choosing what narrative works best for them. It’s time everyone owns up to their side. I’m 100% in on Mario and whom ever he chooses to call his staff. We’ll be back to challenging for national championships in a few years. Those who don’t like the coordinators need to opt out. Ride or die mother****ers. Two choices in/out and go on record. In a year everyone will have loved Mario from day one. Here everyone knew Shannon, Golden, Richt and Manny sucked day one. Everyone had faith in Butch and Jimmy. They’re all full of ****. Let’s get this on the record now! Thanks!!!

Advertisement
100% in or 100% out on everyone. No people picking and choosing what narrative works best for them. It’s time everyone owns up to their side. I’m 100% on Mario and whom ever he chooses to call his staff. We’ll be back to challenging for national championships in a few years. Those who don’t like the coordinators need to opt out. Ride or die mother****ers
At least until December, ready to fly the banner week 3 is a new low.

At least until December, ready to fly the banner week 3 is a new low.
Clown show of a fanbase sometimes. They’ll use their “football intelligence” as a shield to protect them from being called names. Either way everyone needs to own it. Clean and easy. In or out!

100% in or 100% out on everyone. No people picking and choosing what narrative works best for them. It’s time everyone owns up to their side. I’m 100% in on Mario and whom ever he chooses to call his staff. We’ll be back to challenging for national championships in a few years. Those who don’t like the coordinators need to opt out. Ride or die mother****ers. Two choices in/out and go on record. In a year everyone will have loved Mario from day one. Here everyone knew Shannon, Golden, Richt and Manny sucked day one. Everyone had faith in Butch and Jimmy. They’re all full of ****. Let’s get this on the record now! Thanks!!!
Here you go.

I agree w ur last sentiment, but what makes u think A&M is a good team?

-Was it their 8-4 record last yr?
-Their 8-5 record in 2019?
-Their 9-4 record in 2018?

Or is it based upon the fluke Covid year, along w/ the hype they received for cashing out to get the #1 recruiting class of 2022, all who are babies?(CFB, wise)

It wasn’t that they just overlooked App St, it’s that they also struggled to put up 31 on Sam Houston State, and the weather delay helped them tremendously. We could’ve & should’ve won that game b/c we were the better team. The ONLY reason I had this as a L on my schedule was b/c I knew:

1. The make up of this team still have residual FIU Losses, UNC records, & slip & slide DNA in it

2. The O we want to run is not conducive against a team who’s O is poor, but their def is top notch

3. Young team on the road playing against the biggest home crowd they’ve ever seen

4. Not having a clear cut difference maker at WR, my concern that I’ve echo’d since Day 1 has been playmakers or lack thereof.

5. New playbook/language against an established playbook/language

That’s the growing pain side of things that I tried to sincerely admonish for all to take in consideration, but I knew after just ONE loss, well, we see the threads.
They have a really good defense with blue chips on both sides of the ball. I'll give you their offense is perhaps average, but they have playmakers.

I just think so much air was let out of the balloon when they lost to App St. They were overlooking them in my opinion. That changed the narrative for our game. Everyone was/is looking at them as not very good. People are like how could you lose to AtM when they lost to App St?

That was not the same team that showed up for App St. We still should/could have won the game without the mistakes and penalties. We outplayed them in every area except special teams.

IMO, this is more about us being better than we're getting credit for than them being bad/worse.

I like what I see in the trenches and the way we run the ball. The passing game needs to improve, but our defense will be top 20 maybe even top 10 if they play as well as the AtM game.

What makes me optimistic is that I see improvement in areas we haven't seen in a decade. That is the trenches. It all starts there.

I think we put together a decent passing game by the time ACC play begins.

I don't think we're going to be giving up points to the UNC's of the world like people think. We have some elite defensive coaches and the improvement from week 1 has been spectacular. That's just 1 game. We'll find out if it's the real deal when we face UNC. If we lock up their WRs, its a wrap because we have the dudes to get to the QB. We had better pass pressure against a very good SEC offensive line. Something we didn't show in the first 2 games. Our DBs seem to be getting their legs.

I just think there's a lot to be optimistic about. The offense will come. We have just short of 3 weeks before the UNC game to improve. The thing I like most is that Mario and the players said they weren't satisfied and will continue to improve each week. That's their montra.

Advertisement
The crazy thing is most thought this was an 8-4/9-3 team. So, how are they losing their minds after that loss. Yes, we should have won, but you had people on here saying they just hoped we didn't look embarrassing. We were the better team, the score just didn't show it. We had some costly mistakes. Without those mistakes, we could have won the game without even scoring a TD. That's how well the defense played. They basically gave up just 10 points. The game could have been 12-10 or 20-10 in our favor. Just a few plays in the game made that difference in the outcome.

I still think we are a 10-2/11-1 team as I believed before the season started.

When the passing game gets going, there won't be any team on our schedule to stop us except perhaps Clemson which I feel confident playing on the road in SC after watching us play on the road in front of 100k people at AtM.

So ya, count me in.

The crazy thing is most thought this was an 8-4/9-3 team. So, how are they losing their minds after that loss. Yes, we should have won, but you had people on here saying they just hoped we didn't look embarrassing. We were the better team, the score just didn't show it. We had some costly mistakes. Without those mistakes, we could have won the game without even scoring a TD. That's how well the defense played. They basically gave up just 10 points. The game could have been 12-10 or 20-10 in our favor. Just a few plays in the game made that difference in the outcome.

I still think we are an 10-2/11-1 team as I believed before the season started.

When the passing game gets going, there won't be any team on our schedule to stop us except perhaps Clemson which I feel confident playing on the road in SC after watching us play on the road in front of 100k people at AtM.

So ya, count me in.
We have people trashing Tyrique Stevenson. The kid left Georgia and came home. He was projected as the highest Cane on last years team to go in the draft. He would have gone in the third round. He stayed and is expected to go in the first round this coming draft. He’s given up two passes in three games. The one he gave up against Bethune Cookman, he blocked the field goal attempt. The kid played three games last year with a busted up shoulder that needed surgery. He’s trashed daily here…. WTF

Advertisement
They have a really good defense with blue chips on both sides of the ball. I'll give you their offense is perhaps average, but they have playmakers.

I just think so much air was let out of the balloon when they lost to App St. They were overlooking them in my opinion. That changed the narrative for our game. Everyone was/is looking at them as not very good. People are like how could you lose to AtM when they lost to App St?

That was not the same team that showed up for App St. We still should/could have won the game without the mistakes and penalties. We outplayed them in every area except special teams.

IMO, this is more about us being better than we're getting credit for than them being bad/worse.

I like what I see in the trenches and the way we run the ball. The passing game needs to improve, but our defense will be top 20 maybe even top 10 if they play as well as the AtM game.

What makes me optimistic is that I see improvement in areas we haven't seen in a decade. That is the trenches. It all starts there.

I think we put together a decent passing game by the time ACC play begins.

I don't think we're going to be giving up points to the UNC's of the world like people think. We have some elite defensive coaches and the improvement from week 1 has been spectacular. That's just 1 game. We'll find out if it's the real deal when we face UNC. If we lock up their WRs, its a wrap because we have the dudes to get to the QB. We had better pass pressure against a very good SEC offensive line. Something we didn't show in the first 2 games. Our DBs seem to be getting their legs.

I just think there's a lot to be optimistic about. The offense will come. We have just short of 3 weeks before the UNC game to improve. The thing I like most is that Mario and the players said they weren't satisfied and will continue to improve each week. That's their montra.
I didnt see a good ATM football team last Saturday. sorry. they haven't been good all season either and nothing changed Saturday night. I saw two average teams playing miserable football all night. I think the records will show that this year barring any changes schematically for either team tho I trust Mario makes changes here far quicker than supposed o guru jimbo changes there

We have people trashing Tyrique Stevenson. The kid left Georgia and came home. He was projected as the highest Cane on last years team to go in the draft. He would have gone in the third round. He stayed and is expected to go in the first round this coming draft. He’s given up two passes in three games. The one he gave up against Bethune Cookman, he blocked the field goal attempt. The kid played three games last year with a busted up shoulder that needed surgery. He’s trashed daily here…. WTF
Yah, people are a trip. They love to hate and place blame.

I had a discussion or rather argument with one CIS member who insisted our ST coach is incompetent and should be replaced because of the special teams mishaps in the game. Those things are just a part of the game just like life. There will be fumbles, interceptions, and penalties. It called adversity and fans should remember that.

Yah, people are a trip. They love to hate and place blame.

I had a discussion or rather argument with one CIS member who insisted our ST coach is incompetent and should be replaced because of the special teams mishaps in the game. Those things are just a part of the game just like life. There will be fumbles, interceptions, and penalties. It called adversity and fans should remember that.
They think every game should be 2017 ND

Advertisement
I agree w ur last sentiment, but what makes u think A&M is a good team?

-Was it their 8-4 record last yr?
-Their 8-5 record in 2019?
-Their 9-4 record in 2018?

Or is it based upon the fluke Covid year, along w/ the hype they received for cashing out to get the #1 recruiting class of 2022, all who are babies?(CFB, wise)

It wasn’t that they just overlooked App St, it’s that they also struggled to put up 31 on Sam Houston State, and the weather delay helped them tremendously. We could’ve & should’ve won that game b/c we were the better team. The ONLY reason I had this as a L on my schedule was b/c I knew:

1. The make up of this team still have residual FIU Losses, UNC records, & slip & slide DNA in it

2. The O we want to run is not conducive against a team who’s O is poor, but their def is top notch

3. Young team on the road playing against the biggest home crowd they’ve ever seen

4. Not having a clear cut difference maker at WR, my concern that I’ve echo’d since Day 1 has been playmakers or lack thereof.

5. New playbook/language against an established playbook/language

That’s the growing pain side of things that I tried to sincerely admonish for all to take in consideration, but I knew after just ONE loss, well, we see the threads.
This is all semantics. What is a good team? What is a bad team? What is a great team?

Prior to the season everyone thought we'd lose at AtM and Clemson.

It's just funny how expectations changed overnight because we could have or should have won.

As I said, I don't think AtM is bad, I just think we are better than them. I didn't think that before Saturday night.

I think this team can win a lot of games and compete for an ACC title if we get the passing game figured out.

Trashing an absolutely dumb *** play that deserves to be trashed if we are being honest here.

Stevenson is still obviously our best CB. He made a game-changing bad play. It just is what it is.

I still think we are a 10-2/11-1 team as I believed before the season started.

So ya, count me in.
And all the rational people saying 8/9 wins had to know we'd lose at least one game we shouldn't have. Most penciled ATM and Clem in as losses which had us losing to 1-2 teams with less talent, so I'm not sure how people are reconciling the math right now.

Advertisement
OK, my friends. Breaking News:

We lost.

Who would’ve known that a team who barely went 7-5 last yr, w/ a QB who really had only one real target that’s no longer here, would lose a game on the road in a hostile environment to a SEC team? I get the anger; there’s plenty of blame to go around this game:

-From The Coaching Staff: clock mgmt was atrocious, and play calls in the green zone (commonly referred to as red zone) was head scratching

-From The Players: The Special Teams unit was god awful, & it literally cost us the game. Poor tackling on a couple of drives led to A&M close to putting a final nail in the coffin. Those pesky drops that was reported in camp? Yeah, they came out at night, like The Freaks; and while the OL did well throughout the game, costly penalties took steam out the boat on several occasions.

Those are the facts; but, there appears to be another fact some refuse to accept. It’s a fact I stated on @LeedsCane podcast, it’s a fact that I created a thread on. The fact is, this team is good, but it’s not great. This team, this culture that has been riddled with bad evals, fit pieces, and an overall lack of winning is still here. Yet, some convinced themselves that just b/c a new staff w/ some hot names came on board, that would change this culture in one year; how?

I tried to tell u guys numerous of times stop comparing us to SC, why? B/c SC is the only game in town; they are So Cal’s team. SC have won a Nat’l title in the past 18 yrs, we haven’t. SC have won their conference several times in the past 18 yrs, we haven’t. SC have won multiple NY6 bowls in the past 18 yrs, we haven’t. Friends, let me be clear, & I need u all to truly understand this: The chit that’s talked about other schools, they’ve all faired better than us in the last 18 yrs.

Here’s the silver lining; a change have been seen:

-The OL is playing way better than we’ve seen in some time.

-Our RB room, while not 2001 worthy, has 3 guys who can get theirs w/ 2 of those RBs who are small in stature, but big in heart & effort

-Our defense, while filled w/ some holes, have been holding us down while the offense have been trying to find its sea legs.

We were in this game until the clock struck zero. There are no moral victories; the fact is, we did lose to a bad 8&4 team, and we can blame ourselves on several things, but that’s the point. As long as I can remember, this Miami Hurricanes team have shot themselves in the foot, & it’s from little things that snowball in to bigger issues. That’s culture, folks. That’s what u can’t account for on paper. Mario has been transparent this entire time, yet the reason you feel this vitriol is b/c despite what u saw from The Spring Game, despite what Mario continue to say, u saw us beat up on BCU & come out & smoke So. Miss in the 2nd Half. That stubborn 15-0 mentality crept in & now u’re disappointed faced w/ reality. That’s shame on u, not on them.

Listen, I’m not always right, but my post history shows I’m more right than wrong. I don’t get emotionally caught as most fanatics, I try to base things on facts (hence, y I provide current & historical stats/records, etc.) The fact is, TVD is missing his #1 target, Rambo. Our WR room is filled w/ 3rd down, chain movers, not play/difference makers that can stretch the field or game plan around. The defense has “some guys”, but that too is lacking play makers throughout.

We’ll win next week, against another poor G5 team, and I promise, we’ll see the 14-1 crowd rear it’s head, but when I said I see this team as an 8 win regular season team, I didn’t look at names on the roster, I looked at a change in culture. I looked at an offense that want to be ran v. personnel to run it.

If u’re calling for Gattis’ or Mario’s head after one defeat, that’s b/c u drank the Kool Aid as opposed to being reasonable in realizing that 80% of a roster that scraped by to go 7-5 is still here, while a big part of that production on O is gone. R-E-L-A-X; this is not a 1yr turn around; it’s a 2-3 yr joint. Our portal hits were not difference makers; it was depth guys. Also, remember this roster is still fairly young, where our best players are Sophomores, which means they too are still learning.

There’s a lot to look forward to, but at the same time, realize that calling every team on our schedule weak hasn’t meant chit in 18 yrs. Sit back, enjoy the process, criticize certain things, but don’t blow it up after one game. Lol. Stop sipping Kool-Aid; it’s bad for ur teeth & mental health.
Mostly agree. The thing is even with us not being nearly as talented as we could be, and will be in the future, we were still the better team against A&M and lost. We played better, just made very costly mistakes - that great/winning teams don't. So I agree the problem, and reason we will lose games, is a cultural one. That is truly the big problem and WHY this will take at least 2 years to rebuild. Its infuriating because anybody who watched the A&M game knows we easily could (should?) have won that. But A&M and Clemson should truly be our toughest opponents by far this year. There is no opponent remaining on our schedule excluding Clemson where even with the performance we just saw, where we aren't the better team. But we aren't at the point yet where we are just automatically beating teams that we should beat, and that's REALLY not a talent issue - its an overall program cultural one. So while 10-2 really is very possible, it just doesn't seem likely this year.

Long-term the thing that ****ed me off most about the loss to A&M, was Cristobal's decision to kick the FG in the 3rd quarter on 4th and goal from the 4 yard line. That is the single aspect of this game that actually is a yellow flag for me. I still can't wrap my head around that decision by him.

Trashing an absolutely dumb *** play that deserves to be trashed if we are being honest here.

Stevenson is still obviously our best CB. He made a game-changing bad play. It just is what it is.
The play was what it was. People trash the person and his game. We have a terrible and classless fanbase. I’d bet money that you took the time to post this, but you’ve never posted a positive thing about him here previously. Prove me wrong, if we are being honest here. I said nothing about the muffed punt in my post fwiw.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back