The bigger picture

Where did anyone mention sexual activity in this thread? .Also, the only one on that list that had anything to do with that was Petrino. He was given a second chance at UL and failed.

WTF!!

Read ALL the posts and BE CORRECT before you try chastising anyone. Read, find it yourself.

You obviously don't have a clue about what I'm saying and why.

Advertisement
Reason I was against Mario outside his head scratching losses every season is I felt Miami wouldn’t give him the necessary resources to succeed here

If Miami were to give him what he wants in order to hire a proper staff, among other things he will do well here

I get the argument for Lane - and I'm not saying Mario is the guy by default - but have we considered that Lane is by all accounts a mercenary coach? He's a 2-3 year rental until something new and shiny comes up. I'm sure there is a lot of upside but I think we really need some stability.

I don’t think anyone here regards Mario as a bonafide home run hire with no question marks. Someone had a compelling post about how Mario doesn’t have that ace in the hole calling card as a coach. He won’t own the defense the way Saban or Smart do. He won’t own the offense the way Lincoln and Ryan Day do.

It’s definitely concerning. His success likely hinges on finding and hiring the right supporting staff + recruiting at an elite level. It’s a tough thing to bet on but as many have pointed out, the latter of those two will likely be a sure thing.

Just not sure where else you’re going to find someone with his type of success over the last 4 years.

You want Lane and his offense? Sure, good luck convincing him to come here. I honestly don’t believe he will. But if you can pull that off, hope you enjoyed having no defense this year because that trend will likely continue under Lane.

You want Freeze? He was 39-25 at Ole Miss and went 5-7 in his last season after being one of the more hyped teams. Then forced out the next season for smanging prostitutes on recruiting trips. Good luck convincing admin to take a chance on him.

What else you got? They will all have question marks. Some good, some bad. Just gotta find the one that could potentially have the most success.
While I agree with your post just want to point out that Mario will own the OL though which is something we sorely need. Plus we’ve seen other coaches be successful that are not X and O guy’s like Dabo, Ed O and maybe Urban.

There’s still dried spots of blood from Orgerons wife’s dome from his last time here. No thanks.
Agreed. Also, he is a cajun and believes there are actual demons in Miami that caused his bad behavior. I would be surprised if he ever took another job down there NFL or College.

Advertisement
So we have one poster taking a deep look into FIU for Mario and here you are removing FAU from Lane. If your post is meant as a comparison, then you either need to remove both FIU and FAU or include both FIU and FAU.
One also needs to take into consideration the state of said programs, as one has always been a train wreck and the other an average team.
Let it be known, I would like either Lane or Mario.
I would add that one was a first time HC and one was trying to revive his career.

I get the argument for Lane - and I'm not saying Mario is the guy by default - but have we considered that Lane is by all accounts a mercenary coach? He's a 2-3 year rental until something new and shiny comes up. I'm sure there is a lot of upside but I think we really need some stability.
How great would it be to have a coach that after 3 years gets a promotion instead of getting fired?

Lol, I mean I hear you. I'd like a guy who's here for the long haul but right now, I'll take anyone who wins.

I don’t think anyone here regards Mario as a bonafide home run hire with no question marks. Someone had a compelling post about how Mario doesn’t have that ace in the hole calling card as a coach. He won’t own the defense the way Saban or Smart do. He won’t own the offense the way Lincoln and Ryan Day do.

It’s definitely concerning. His success likely hinges on finding and hiring the right supporting staff + recruiting at an elite level. It’s a tough thing to bet on but as many have pointed out, the latter of those two will likely be a sure thing.

Just not sure where else you’re going to find someone with his type of success over the last 4 years.

You want Lane and his offense? Sure, good luck convincing him to come here. I honestly don’t believe he will. But if you can pull that off, hope you enjoyed having no defense this year because that trend will likely continue under Lane.

You want Freeze? He was 39-25 at Ole Miss and went 5-7 in his last season after being one of the more hyped teams. Then forced out the next season for smanging prostitutes on recruiting trips. Good luck convincing admin to take a chance on him.

What else you got? They will all have question marks. Some good, some bad. Just gotta find the one that could potentially have the most success.
You forgot Mark Stoops.

And Ole Miss' defense ain't great but it's better than anything we've had the last several seasons.

Advertisement
Not saying Mario is Vince Lombardi but fiu is a broken program. Like broken broken. All the more embarrassing that they smacked us around in 2019

So... Now that we know what coaches are up against at FIU we're gonna hold it against a guy for not continuously succeeding there? Also we're gonna ignore Lane's futility at USC and Tenn and just focus on Mario's struggles at the aforementioned black hole that's FIU?

This has always been my concern. The upside to a mercenary coach is you don’t need to buyout a fired coach.

ED ORGERON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Delete this thread and fire it into the sun.

It WOULD be a challenge to find an interpreter for him.

On the other hand, he'd make some pretty good inroads in Louisiana. They can at least understand some of what he says without an interpreter.

His demons are also a huge negative. If he was a drunk....but has been and continues to be "on the wagon", I am slightly more open to him than some are because that was more than 2 decades ago.

That said, I certainly don't have the ability to make this hire. Nor do the 99% of the rest of us, probably.

After all, after reviewing his record on paper, I (and many, many others) thought Jimmy Johnson was a terrible hiring at that time.

And his 1st year here ended disappointingly.

In retrospect, he wasn't just not bad, he was MY favorite of those that followed Howard.

Last edited:
Advertisement
All the good coaches that have come thru have been mercenary types for the most part and the non mercenary ones have left by the same time because they sucked bring in a good mercenary stack the team and if he leaves it will be easier to get the next with a good players in place.sure it would be great to have some great coach in place forever but has never really been that way in miami.

Well we did bring back a certain safety maybe they can rehab together😁

Society typically allow 2nd chances. He did get a record for stalking and restraining order against him (coach o) in 1997. He gave up drinking when he got remarried about 20 years ago.

I think THAT incident should not be held against him as he served his time and eliminated the root cause.

But he is not my first choice because I don't have a first choice.... I just want to win!!!

1 to 4 championships would be AMAZING, but at this point I'd gladly settle for 10 years of results like Oklahoma State or Oklahoma (usually very good, never great) and be quite happy.

Advertisement
Soooo soooo TIRED of people using someone's sexual activity against them for coaching positions. I just want to win, not hire a saint.

I would have no problem taking Herman, Freeze, Petrino or that guy fired from Baylor years ago as our new HC.

None of them broke the law, NONE. So I would gladly take any hit from crybabies and the *** police for doing so.

It's highly unlikely that any sponsors would break their contracts and pay the penalty to leave us.

It would all blow away within a year, especially after we finally start winning again.

Any lost contributions would eventually return and new contributors who want their name associated with a winner would far offset any losses.

Then everyone would be telling those who are complainers about a coach's lawful sexual habits to STFU
Excellent use of sexual and positions in same sentence.

If you are a great recruiter and hire good assistants, you are perfect for Miami. There are many reasons why coaches workout in one place and suck in another. Cristobal has been to Bama and is now at Oregon. If he was coming from FIU, no i wouldn't be particularly enamored, **** am not enamored now but he is qualified to coach here. He will minimum bring us baxk to respectability and have us challenging for the ACC immediately imo

There is no home run hire. Not a single guy in the world is a home run hire for this program. We’ve been so bad for so long that we are gonna need to see it to believe it. That being said - I won’t be excited for any head coach hire. We should all try a new approach: don’t crown the new guy until he earns the crown. Red flags in year 1 should be called out. Red flags continuing in year 2 should tell you all you need to know.

First red flag for me will be a losers mindset. Any guy that takes over and isn’t optimistic about the roster and pieces they have, and starts blabbering about needing time is already hedging against their underperformance. Come in, set the tone, and win ball games. At the end of the day there is more talent here than all but 1 roster in the ACC, so as the HC you figure out how to win the coastal with what you got.

Whomever has the job, i hope we are all patient for the results and allow 4 full years BEFORE we do a search if warranted.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but Fat Chance on that happening with the restless natives, or the natives who can't stand the repetition of mediocrity.

Advertisement
Back