The bigger picture

After that he went to the house of saban and learned the $avage art$ or whatever the ****.. Atleast thats what I tell myself

Advertisement
Soooo soooo TIRED of people using someone's sexual activity against them for coaching positions. I just want to win, not hire a saint.

I would have no problem taking Herman, Freeze, Petrino or that guy fired from Baylor as our new HC.

None of them broke the law, NONE. So I would gladly take any hit from crybabies and the *** police for doing so. It's highly unlikely that any sponsors would break their contracts and pay the penalty.

It would all blow away within a year, especially after we finally start winning again. Any lost contributions would eventually return and new contributors who want their name associated with a winner would far offset any losses.

Then everyone would be telling those who are complainers to STFU
Where did anyone mention sexual activity in this thread? Also, the only one on that list that had anything to do with that was Petrino. He was given a second chance at UL and failed.

Again, no opinions, just facts about Lane.

Let’s remove his tenure at FAU and discuss his actual college tenure:

1. His overall record is 48-28
2. His conference record is 29-23
3. Zero conference championships in those 6 seasons*.

*Yes, Lane was 7-2 in conference in 2010. That same year Oregon was 8-1 and Stanford was 8-1. Maybe he beats one of them in the Conference championship, maybe not.

*Yes, Lane was 7-2 in conference in 2010. That same year Oregon was 8-1 and Stanford was 8-1. Maybe he beats one of them in the Conference championship, maybe not.
I'd judge Lane more on the last 2 stops than the first 2. And these last 2 stops he has Alabama's S&C program basically.

Advertisement

So we have one poster taking a deep look into FIU for Mario and here you are removing FAU from Lane. If your post is meant as a comparison, then you either need to remove both FIU and FAU or include both FIU and FAU.
One also needs to take into consideration the state of said programs, as one has always been a train wreck and the other an average team.
Let it be known, I would like either Lane or Mario.

A few months ago I looked "carefully" at Mario's time at FIU. From my recollection, on the plus side:
1. he had two good years there
2. His best year (2010, I believe) was very good, even if not quite incredible
3. He was skillful enough that he hired 2 coaches (OC Satterfield now at Louisville and DC Collins now at Georgia Tech) who have gone on to be head coaches

On the downside
1. His best year (2010), they were 7-6 and tied TROY for the best record in the conference.
2. After Collins left after 2010, they clearly regressed
3. After Satterfield left after 2011, FIU and Mario fell to 3-9 overall and 2-6 in conference in 2012. So, in Mario's 6th year at the helm, with a roster he built, in the Sun Belt conference, he/fiu finished 9 out of 10 in the final standings before "leaving fiu":

TeamWLWL
Arkansas State $71103
Louisiana–Monroe6285
Middle Tennessee6284
Louisiana–Lafayette4254
WKU4476
Troy3557
North Texas3548
Florida Atlantic2639
FIU2639
South Alabama1-72-11

My personal summary:

Ed Orgeron looks better on paper than Mario.... Lane Kiffen looks better on paper than both of them. Others look better than those three. But regardless of whomever is our head coach, I will be at the Rock to cheer the team on and pull for the coach's ultimate success.

Whomever has the job, i hope we are all patient for the results and allow 4 full years BEFORE we do a search if warranted.
It's because u need talent guys like Mario and Butch even Saban don't have the backing at FIU. They can't recruit there. Change the logo and put an admin who wants to win and those types bring in stacks of talent. It's simple why can't people comprehend this it's basically common sense.

I'd judge Lane more on the last 2 stops than the first 2. And these last 2 stops he has Alabama's S&C program basically.

Why because he looks bad at those other stops? You need to judge Lane based on his P5 experience as that is where he is going and has a large sample there as an HC.

Lane has zero conference championships at this level, did pretty meh in conference, and had 6 seasons at this level.

Let’s see how he does this season in his 7th season but don’t be shocked if he loses again during the regular season to Leach and the fan base that support him drop him as an option until they bring him up again next year.

Advertisement
So we have one poster taking a deep look into FIU for Mario and here you are removing FAU from Lane. If your post is meant as a comparison, then you either need to remove both FIU and FAU or include both FIU and FAU.
One also needs to take into consideration the state of said programs, as one has always been a train wreck and the other an average team.
Let it be known, I would like either Lane or Mario.

Please note I was only speaking of Lane period, in my post. Not sure how you thought I said take away Mario’s tenure at FIU.

My only point was to present facts about Lane.

Lane has Ole Miss in the top 10. While they've been in the top 10 at some points in the past decade or so, albeit rarely, it's a huge deal. They're 8-2. I know you might say it's because of his QB. But the way the game is played now, even if stayed at Ole Miss (he won't) he would've probably just gotten the best transfer QB available and kept Ole Miss rolling.

Please note I was only speaking of Lane period, in my post. Not sure how you thought I said take away Mario’s tenure at FIU.

My only point was to present facts about Lane.
I thought you were comparing to the post that you were replying to which is a deep dive into Mario's time at FIU.

Advertisement
I don’t think anyone here regards Mario as a bonafide home run hire with no question marks. Someone had a compelling post about how Mario doesn’t have that ace in the hole calling card as a coach. He won’t own the defense the way Saban or Smart do. He won’t own the offense the way Lincoln and Ryan Day do.

It’s definitely concerning. His success likely hinges on finding and hiring the right supporting staff + recruiting at an elite level. It’s a tough thing to bet on but as many have pointed out, the latter of those two will likely be a sure thing.

Just not sure where else you’re going to find someone with his type of success over the last 4 years.

You want Lane and his offense? Sure, good luck convincing him to come here. I honestly don’t believe he will. But if you can pull that off, hope you enjoyed having no defense this year because that trend will likely continue under Lane.

You want Freeze? He was 39-25 at Ole Miss and went 5-7 in his last season after being one of the more hyped teams. Then forced out the next season for smanging prostitutes on recruiting trips. Good luck convincing admin to take a chance on him.

What else you got? They will all have question marks. Some good, some bad. Just gotta find the one that could potentially have the most success.
What concerns me is how much it will set us back if we go stupid and pay him more than he is actually worth. He's better than Manny, but **** that isn't saying much.

What your analysis showed me is that he was smart enough to hire coaches (people) smarter per say than he. He knows quality coaches better than Mandy ever will, better Coach and will be a more convincing recruiter for SOFL kids and HS Coaches. He will no doubt make the program better, but I'm sold on Lane Kiffin

I don't think we can go wrong with Lane or Mario. I just want someone who has been with a larger program and understands how the team needs to operate. Give me a coach who holds players and other coaches accountable for mistakes and ACTUALLY coaches (crazy thought I know). Even if neither are slam dunk/home run hires without question marks of their own, they would each be exponentially better for this team than Manny. We need that in the worst way possible.

Advertisement
Lane has Ole Miss in the top 10. While they've been in the top 10 at some points in the past decade or so, albeit rarely, it's a huge deal. They're 8-2. I know you might say it's because of his QB. But the way the game is played now, even if stayed at Ole Miss (he won't) he would've probably just gotten the best transfer QB available and kept Ole Miss rolling.
Given his history, he is more likely to go 7-6 than have 10 wins. I would put money on him being no better than 8-5 next year.

There’s no such thing as a 100% perfect, home run, can’t miss hire. Everyone’s got positive and negative attributes. Some guys have a much higher ceiling than others but that doesn’t mean they’re guaranteed to win big.

Advertisement
Back