The bigger picture

Cane Tankerous

Hall of Foam
Banned
A few months ago I looked "carefully" at Mario's time at FIU. From my recollection, on the plus side:
1. he had two good years there
2. His best year (2010, I believe) was very good, even if not quite incredible
3. He was skillful enough that he hired 2 coaches (OC Satterfield now at Louisville and DC Collins now at Georgia Tech) who have gone on to be head coaches

On the downside
1. His best year (2010), they were 7-6 and tied TROY for the best record in the conference.
2. After Collins left after 2010, they clearly regressed
3. After Satterfield left after 2011, FIU and Mario fell to 3-9 overall and 2-6 in conference in 2012. So, in Mario's 6th year at the helm, with a roster he built, in the Sun Belt conference, he/fiu finished 9 out of 10 in the final standings before "leaving fiu":

TeamWLWL
Arkansas State $71103
Louisiana–Monroe6285
Middle Tennessee6284
Louisiana–Lafayette4254
WKU4476
Troy3557
North Texas3548
Florida Atlantic2639
FIU2639
South Alabama1-72-11

My personal summary:

Ed Orgeron looks better on paper than Mario.... Lane Kiffen looks better on paper than both of them. Others look better than those three. But regardless of whomever is our head coach, I will be at the Rock to cheer the team on and pull for the coach's ultimate success.

Whomever has the job, i hope we are all patient for the results and allow 4 full years BEFORE we do a search if warranted.

Advertisement
I don’t think anyone here regards Mario as a bonafide home run hire with no question marks. Someone had a compelling post about how Mario doesn’t have that ace in the hole calling card as a coach. He won’t own the defense the way Saban or Smart do. He won’t own the offense the way Lincoln and Ryan Day do.

It’s definitely concerning. His success likely hinges on finding and hiring the right supporting staff + recruiting at an elite level. It’s a tough thing to bet on but as many have pointed out, the latter of those two will likely be a sure thing.

Just not sure where else you’re going to find someone with his type of success over the last 4 years.

You want Lane and his offense? Sure, good luck convincing him to come here. I honestly don’t believe he will. But if you can pull that off, hope you enjoyed having no defense this year because that trend will likely continue under Lane.

You want Freeze? He was 39-25 at Ole Miss and went 5-7 in his last season after being one of the more hyped teams. Then forced out the next season for smanging prostitutes on recruiting trips. Good luck convincing admin to take a chance on him.

What else you got? They will all have question marks. Some good, some bad. Just gotta find the one that could potentially have the most success.

A few months ago I looked "carefully" at Mario's time at FIU. From my recollection, on the plus side:
1. he had two good years there
2. His best year (2010, I believe) was very good, even if not quite incredible
3. He was skillful enough that he hired 2 coaches (OC Satterfield now at Louisville and DC Collins now at Georgia Tech) who have gone on to be head coaches

On the downside
1. His best year (2010), they were 7-6 and tied TROY for the best record in the conference.
2. After Collins left after 2010, they clearly regressed
3. After Satterfield left after 2011, FIU and Mario fell to 3-9 overall and 2-6 in conference in 2012. So, in Mario's 6th year at the helm, with a roster he built, in the Sun Belt conference, he/fiu finished 9 out of 10 in the final standings before "leaving fiu":

TeamWLWL
Arkansas State $71103
Louisiana–Monroe6285
Middle Tennessee6284
Louisiana–Lafayette4254
WKU4476
Troy3557
North Texas3548
Florida Atlantic2639
FIU2639
South Alabama1-72-11

My personal summary:

Ed Orgeron looks better on paper than Mario.... Lane Kiffen looks better on paper than both of them. Others look better than those three. But regardless of whomever is our head coach, I will be at the Rock to cheer the team on and pull for the coach's ultimate success.

Whomever has the job, i hope we are all patient for the results and allow 4 full years BEFORE we do a search if warranted.

By your logic you wouldnt want Bill Belichick based off his first head coaching stint a the Cleveland Browns

You then sight Ed Ogeron as having a better resume

So you like Ogeron’s recent success but overlook how lazy he’s gotten on top of borderline sexually harassing the wife of a BOT

You exclude the recent success of Mario, for whatever reason

I’m not a Mario slurped and want a comprehensive search, but I really can’t follow your logic AND completely lose you when you try to advocate for Ed O, who I wouldn’t want near Miami other than as a DL coach

Advertisement
I don’t think anyone here regards Mario as a bonafide home run hire with no question marks. Someone had a compelling post about how Mario doesn’t have that ace in the hole calling card as a coach. He won’t own the defense the way Saban or Smart do. He won’t own the offense the way Lincoln and Ryan Day do.

It’s definitely concerning. His success likely hinges on finding and hiring the right supporting staff + recruiting at an elite level. It’s a tough thing to bet on but as many have pointed out, the latter of those two will likely be a sure thing.

Just not sure where else you’re going to find someone with his type of success over the last 4 years.

You want Lane and his offense? Sure, good luck convincing him to come here. I honestly don’t believe he will. But if you can pull that off, hope you enjoyed having no defense this year because that trend will likely continue under Lane.

You want Freeze? He was 39-25 at Ole Miss and went 5-7 in his last season after being one of the more hyped teams. Then forced out the next season for smanging prostitutes on recruiting trips. Good luck convincing admin to take a chance on him.

What else you got? They will all have question marks. Some good, some bad. Just gotta find the one that could potentially have the most success.

The question is not what I want... it's about the bigger picture and hoping that the coach we have at any point in time, becomes or remains successful.

Just for fun, I looked up Mario's first 4 years to date for Oregon...who's lead benefactor has a networth 3/1000ths of the gdp in the US. And it happens to be in a very related industry--- Nike--- which has led the pro-Kaepernick messaging.

Mario survived the failed Taggart regime.

They were supposed to be top 20 good in 2018, but disappointed.

2019 was similar, but better than our 2020. Mark a positive in the Mario column.

His 2020 was very disappointing, albeit the covid excuse.

2021 has been "magical", so far.

If he gets our gig, great. If we get Saban, Myers--- okay, nevermind. If we get Orgeron, Kiffen, Gundy, a great p5, etc...that's great too. I'm not advocating for anyone, but when people neg Orgeron (which is valid) he DID win a natty (which looks good on paper). And if whoever it is brings us back to glory, I don't give a crap if he has an affair with every bod members' spouse. Just stay away from MY wife and kids.

Whoever it is, hopefully it's a worthy candidate that we will support for more than 3 years....because we have been in a mostly downward trajectory for 20 years now.

No coach will likely change that fact until 4 years of amazing effort and luck.

And it would be grand if supporting the team and coach for 4 years makes someone a hopeful fan, and not a "slurper"

Last edited:
With the right coach, UM can be a microwave dynasty, as Coach Richt showed us in Year 2. Love our guy CMR, but his mentality of "my way or the highway" stopped us from reeling off multiple 10+ win seasons and a possible shot at the chip by Year 3 or 4 of his tenure.

We don't need a world beater as HC, just someone that has major P5 HC experience and the ability to recruit. Several guys fit that mold, here's to hoping we can land one

Advertisement
The Ole Miss defense has improved since giving up 51 to Arkansas. At FAU he had a good defense. With the inevitable revamping of the S&C program if he comes here you’d be surprised how well the defense will be playing next year.

Advertisement
Mario left FIU almost a decade ago. I'm not saying we should ignore what happened there, but that the more recent years are more important.

All he did after he left was be the assistant head coach for the greatest head coach of all time while earning national recruiter of the year honors and then go lead a power 5 school into playoff contention. And he's on pace to win his conference championship 3 years in a row.

What happened at FIU is important..what happened the last 10 years is much more important.

he's got oregon in prime position to play in the playoff. this year. analyzing his performance at fiu 10+ years ago isn't fruitful. if we have the opportunity to hire the coach of a program that gets into or just barely misses the playoff this year, we should do that. not a hard decision.

Advertisement
Mario left FIU almost a decade ago. I'm not saying we should ignore what happened there, but that the more recent years are more important.

All he did after he left was be the assistant head coach for the greatest head coach of all time while earning national recruiter of the year honors and then go lead a power 5 school into playoff contention. And he's on pace to win his conference championship 3 years in a row.

What happened at FIU is important..what happened the last 10 years is much more important.

Great...I hope if he's offered the job, we outbid Nike's Knight, and he goes on to the pantheon of greatest college coaches ever.

But you should probably put an asterisk on the 3 straight conference championships.

He hasn't won this year's yet.

and

He only played in the conference championship game last year (4-3 record) because the Washington Huskies had an insufficient number of players available due to COVID-19.

But once there, they defeated the undefeated South Division champion USC to receive the Pac-12's automatic bid to a New Year's Six bowl game. They were invited to the Fiesta Bowl, where they lost to Big 12 runner-up Iowa State.

If you are going to look at the bigger picture of Mario’s time at FIU, you need to zoom out a little bit more. You will see that they never had a winning season in their history and were coming off a 0-12 season when he was hired. They have only had 2 winning seasons since he left. I would say what he did there with no support or facilities is nothing short of a miracle.

Also I don’t see how Lane‘s resume is any better. This season is great but he has never had two good seasons in a row. He had an 11 win and 10 win season at FAU but went 5-7 in between. He had a 10 win season at USC and went into the next year as preseason #1. He finished 7-6 and unranked. Is he more consistent now or does he have a 5 star QB playing out of his mind right now?

I don’t think either guy is a slam dunk but there isn’t a coach we can realistically get that is. I just think Mario’s recruiting ability will put possibly 2000 era talent on this team. Does he lose a game a year he should win? Sure but so did Butch. I would take consistent 10+ win seasons over what we have seen the last 15 years.

Soooo soooo TIRED of people using someone's sexual activity against them for coaching positions. I just want to win, not hire a saint.

I would have no problem taking Herman, Freeze, Petrino or that guy fired from Baylor years ago as our new HC.

None of them broke the law, NONE. So I would gladly take any hit from crybabies and the *** police for doing so.

It's highly unlikely that any sponsors would break their contracts and pay the penalty to leave us.

It would all blow away within a year, especially after we finally start winning again.

Any lost contributions would eventually return and new contributors who want their name associated with a winner would far offset any losses.

Then everyone would be telling those who are complainers about a coach's lawful sexual habits to STFU

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back