The BEST RB on the team...

Parrish has no breakaway speed. Not sure Chaney does either. As nice as both are, it really kills not having big 30-50+ yard runs that even non-elite backs (Homer, Cam, Walton lol, etc.) used to give us. So basically big chunk plays (30+ yards) all have to come thru the air with TVD.
So you throwing your hat in the Chris Johnson ring? Lol

Maybe he can be out Achane

Advertisement
So you throwing your hat in the Chris Johnson ring? Lol

Maybe he can be out Achane
Yeah I am. Not as every down back but should get 5-7 touches per game. Be nice if Dawson knew what an RB screen was but UM has proven even good OC's are non-sensical sometimes.

We share a stadium and city with the dolphins, pretty sure let'd us have a visit and share some plays with us. Just copy what they do with CJ, Ray, Robbie, B Smith, Colbie. What do we have to lose? Oh yeah, another game to GT running straight up the middle.

Parrish has no breakaway speed. Not sure Chaney does either. As nice as both are, it really kills not having big 30-50+ yard runs that even non-elite backs (Homer, Cam, Walton lol, etc.) used to give us. So basically big chunk plays (30+ yards) all have to come thru the air with TVD.
Through 5 games,3 against suspect talent.Our longest run was 37 yds by Parrish against miami at the end of the 1st half with the defense not set and scrambling to get in position.I believe Fletcher had a couple runs against Bethune in the 20-25 yd range and Jonhson also had 1 against Bethune close to 25.After that we've had a couple runs in the 12-15 yd range and that's it.Our RBs are all single hitters with an ocasional double,maybe Johnson can get a few more snaps and hit a home run for us.When citizen comes back IMO he's our most talented RB but he too isn't a game breaker.Hoping the 2 we're bringing for 24 can change that.

Advertisement
Just put all the speed on the field mane.

Will Ferrell GIF

YPC after contact Saturday

Chaney 2.0
Parrish 1.5

National average is 3. I think they combined to force 2 or 3 missed tackles. That’s just not good enough.

We're usually just ok here. Here's career yds after contact:

Homer - 4.1
Dallas - 3.7
Gus - 3.4
Cam - 3.0
Chaney - 2.9
Parrish - 2.9
Walton - 2.9
Yearby - 2.9
Knighton - 2.5

You're right. Parrish is just slow. I don't know if Chaney is slow, but he's definitely not fast. Fletcher isn't going to add much here either.

We'll probably have 1-2 games with big runs, but for the most part we're just an solid/efficient "small chunk" get what the OL gives you type running attack.

Don't mean to pick on Parrish here, I can do this with any RB this year - but below just happens to be a run at the start of the game that stood out to me.

Parrish makes a GREAT move at the LOS to make the first defender miss. But he just never has much juice coming out of his 1st cut.

This is something that Homer would house (or at least get 30+ yds out of)

Since Parrish doesn't have speed, the DL catches him & since he doesn't have size, he can be taken down with an arm tackle pretty easy. The Safety doesn't even have to come off his line, just runs parallel to the 50.

1697122870534.png

Advertisement
You're right. Parrish is just slow. I don't know if Chaney is slow, but he's definitely not fast. Fletcher isn't going to add much here either.

We'll probably have 1-2 games with big runs, but for the most part we're just an solid/efficient "small chunk" get what the OL gives you type running attack.

Don't mean to pick on Parrish here, I can do this with any RB this year - but below just happens to be a run at the start of the game that stood out to me.

Parrish makes a GREAT move at the LOS to make the first defender miss. But he just never has much juice coming out of his 1st cut.

Since Parrish doesn't have speed, the DL catches him & since he doesn't have size, he can be taken down with an arm tackle pretty easy. The Safety doesn't even have to come off his line, just runs parallel to the 50.

View attachment 261019
Exactly why Chris Johnson should be getting more burn.

Changes your offense when your RB is housing a 60 yarder compared to the other guy getting 10

I wouldn’t expect Fletcher back anytime soon so we might need to spread some carries out some. I’m sure it’ll be heavy Parrish / Chaney but I think we need to give the other guys a few touches. Brashard being one I’d like to see more from the backfield or motioning out. Maybe some gimmick stuff with Cjj.

Do you think this is the week we finally run a toss play or pull a guard?

Advertisement
I wouldn’t expect Fletcher back anytime soon so we might need to spread some carries out some. I’m sure it’ll be heavy Parrish / Chaney but I think we need to give the other guys a few touches. Brashard being one I’d like to see more from the backfield or motioning out. Maybe some gimmick stuff with Cjj.
Well ****

While I agree that Fletcher isn’t necessarily a homerun speed threat, he’s still a big play back because of his size and feet. He got that one TD called back against Temple but what he did with his feet on that play was eye opening. That size you don’t need to make people miss by much to make a big play

Exactly why Chris Johnson should be getting more burn.

Changes your offense when your RB is housing a 60 yarder compared to the other guy getting 10
I'm with you. I'm really excited to see what CJ can do on some meaningful carries. His speed is special and adds a completely different element.

In games vs GT where RB's had 44 carries, it shouldn't be hard to get him 5 touches. Games like TAMU where RB's had 22 carries - that's gonna be tough.

The flip side is - CJ isn't moving any piles. Can he turn those 1 yd runs into 3-4 yd gains? We'll see - but that's probably the trade-off.

IMO figuring out the RB rotation is harder than it looks on the surface.

Advertisement
I'm with you. I'm really excited to see what CJ can do on some meaningful carries. His speed is special and adds a completely different element.

In games vs GT where RB's had 44 carries, it shouldn't be hard to get him 5 touches. Games like TAMU where RB's had 22 carries - that's gonna be tough.

The flip side is - CJ isn't moving any piles. Can he turn those 1 yd runs into 3-4 yd gains? We'll see - but that's probably the trade-off.

IMO figuring out the RB rotation is harder than it looks on the surface.
We're high up in the country like 3.2 yards before contact on a RB right now

The OL paving roads and opening holes is perfect for a guy like CJ.

I'm just tired of the elongated drawn out drives that take 10-12 plays for 60-70 yards.

That’s not “just ok.” It’s terrible. This isn’t Indiana. Having above average running backs should never be an issue at this school.

If 3.0 Yds After Contact is average, then I'd say most of our RB's are right at the average. But I'm with you - we should be expecting better than "average".

View attachment 261019
I dont think Don is slow but I dont think hes fast. I think the injuries prolly zapped him of some of his previous speed too. he hasn't looked fast all year imo. homer was pretty athletic too. I dont think any of Parrish and Don match his athleticism tbh. Citizen is hurt. CJ is explosive. Allen doesn't play anymore. Fletcher is hurt too

Advertisement
Back