Off-Topic The BBQ thread

(For 2 Thick Pork Chops or 4 pieces of Chicken)...1st put enough water in a in a Pot to be able to submerge the Chops or Chicken. Then put equal amounts of Sugar and Salt (in this case 1 Large tablespoon of both) into the Pot and stir to dissolve. Then get some FRESH Herbs...(2-3 sprigs of Thyme...2 Bay leaves...2-3 sprigs of Rosemary....and 2-3 cloves of Garlic) and put them all in a large enough piece of cheesecloth and tie it to where the Herbs don't come out) in Chef terms it's called Bouquet Garni. For chicken and Pork I put a teaspoon of Chicken base in water as well.
Bring the Pot of Water...Base and Wrapped fresh herbs to a slow simmer for 1/2 an hr (I personally put some Chopped up Onion and Celery (large cuts) into the water as well) after a 1/2 an hour remove the Bouquet Garni, but leave the Large cut up Onion and Celery in the mixture. Then empty a tray of ice cubes into the Pot to ice down the brine. (Make sure the brine is ice cold) Empty the iced brine into a Tupperware container large enough for the items you're brining. Submerge the Chicken or Chops, making sure they stay submerged in the brine (I personally use a heavy plate, small enough to keep the items totally submerged in the Tupperware container. Put lid on, and refrigerate for atleast 12 hrs...but you can go alittle longer (16hrs) if you like. After that, remove Chicken or Chops and dab dry with Paper Towel. Then Salt and Pepper the items, and proceed to Grill or Bake....I like using a dry rub for Chops.
Big thanks for this!! Are the herbs and such just for flavor? When you grill afterwards, do you grill the same way you normally would? Also, can the brine be stored? Like I could make it today and refrigerate till Saturday morning when I'd add the meat in prep for grilling sat. night?

Advertisement
Big thanks for this!! Are the herbs and such just for flavor? When you grill afterwards, do you grill the same way you normally would? Also, can the brine be stored? Like I could make it today and refrigerate till Saturday morning when I'd add the meat in prep for grilling sat. night?
Herbs for flavor...Grill how you normally Grill...Do NOT use the brine again (cross contamination) and I wouldn't recommend brining more than 24 hrs tops.

(For 2 Thick Pork Chops or 4 pieces of Chicken)...1st put enough water in a in a Pot to be able to submerge the Chops or Chicken. Then put equal amounts of Sugar and Salt (in this case 1 Large tablespoon of both) into the Pot and stir to dissolve. Then get some FRESH Herbs...(2-3 sprigs of Thyme...2 Bay leaves...2-3 sprigs of Rosemary....and 2-3 cloves of Garlic) and put them all in a large enough piece of cheesecloth and tie it to where the Herbs don't come out) in Chef terms it's called Bouquet Garni. For chicken and Pork I put a teaspoon of Chicken base in water as well.
Bring the Pot of Water...Base and Wrapped fresh herbs to a slow simmer for 1/2 an hr (I personally put some Chopped up Onion and Celery (large cuts) into the water as well) after a 1/2 an hour remove the Bouquet Garni, but leave the Large cut up Onion and Celery in the mixture. Then empty a tray of ice cubes into the Pot to ice down the brine. (Make sure the brine is ice cold) Empty the iced brine into a Tupperware container large enough for the items you're brining. Submerge the Chicken or Chops, making sure they stay submerged in the brine (I personally use a heavy plate, small enough to keep the items totally submerged in the Tupperware container. Put lid on, and refrigerate for atleast 12 hrs...but you can go alittle longer (16hrs) if you like. After that, remove Chicken or Chops and dab dry with Paper Towel. Then Salt and Pepper the items, and proceed to Grill or Bake....I like using a dry rub for Chops.

What are your thoughts on dry brining?

Advertisement
I love showing off my meat.

Screenshot_20210730-115304_Gallery.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back