Off-Topic The BBQ thread

JD08

Ready for Ska's fourth wave
Maude
My daughter gave me this rub/sauce combo for Christmas and I finally got to give it a try. My go to for pork is Plowboy's Yardbird with a nice layer of brown sugar on top. The Honey Rub Dat Butt rub is a lot like Yardbird, but it had more pepper in it and honey in it, making the brown sugar redundant. The Honey Chipotle Rum sauce on its own was similar to any other slightly spicy BBQ sauce. It wasn't bad, but wasn't fantastic either. I'll use up what I've got of both because they definitely go well together and the family loved it. Whether we get more depends on what she get me for next Christmas.

I was a little pressed for time and the butt was frozen in a cryopak from Sprouts, so I had to sous vide at 78 degrees for a couple of hours, then smoke at 300 until it hit 140, then into the oven at 325 until it hit 200. I usually go for 275 through the whole process, but I was short on time because it was frozen and the results were as good or better than my usual 275.

20220227_140527.jpg

20220227_164211.jpg

Advertisement
I look forward to getting into my house so I can smoke some ribs and pork and everything else. Honestly the sous vide may have helped move it along. I'd go a little heavier on the rub if it were me. How did the bark set?

I look forward to getting into my house so I can smoke some ribs and pork and everything else. Honestly the sous vide may have helped move it along. I'd go a little heavier on the rub if it were me. How did the bark set?
It was my first time using it so I went on the lighter side. It probably could've used a little more, but it wasn't noticeably light. That pic was when I checked on it after an hour or so. The bark was as good as any other.

20220227_200540a.jpg

Advertisement
I use flying pig rub and smoke at 225 until after the flat line then turn it up. I do mine on rotisserie and use a Jack Daniels mopping sauce. I'm gonna do a brisket soon and I'm not sure if I want to try it on the rotisserie or not. How do you like the sous vide thing? I've been thinking about getting one to try it out.

20200730_093120small.jpg

How it starts.

20200730_161934small.jpg

After I start mopping.

I use flying pig rub and smoke at 225 until after the flat line then turn it up. I do mine on rotisserie and use a Jack Daniels mopping sauce. I'm gonna do a brisket soon and I'm not sure if I want to try it on the rotisserie or not. How do you like the sous vide thing? I've been thinking about getting one to try it out.

View attachment 178774
How it starts.

View attachment 178775

After I start mopping.
I use the sous vide multiple times a week. It's great for getting steaks to about 115 and holding them there as long as I need, then dropping on a hot grill for a quick sear. I use it a lot for chicken breast too. Straight from the freezer into the bath for 2-3 hours at 155, then dice up and throw in whatever I'm making. It keeps them soft and tender without overcooking.

Sous vide brisket is great. I cook mine for 24 hours then smoke for 3 and torch it for texture. Love it

Advertisement
I'm gonna have to get one then because grilling chicken breast is a pain in the ***. Gotta overcook the thin end to get the think end up to temp. Got a recommendation on a good one?

I'm gonna have to get one then because grilling chicken breast is a pain in the ***. Gotta overcook the thin end to get the think end up to temp. Got a recommendation on a good one?
Mine's just the simple Anova Precision Cooker. It's lasted 5 years or so. I got it before they sold out to Electrolux.

View attachment 178774
How it starts.

View attachment 178775

After I start mopping.
is that a gas grill?

Advertisement
is that a gas grill?
Yes, it came with the smoker box and the rotisserie setup. I mainly do chickens but I can throw a 5lb butt on there and it comes out pretty **** good. The hardest part is keeping it down at 225 degrees. The first butt I did fell apart while I was spinning it. My mom gave me her old master built smoker but I like spinning it on the grill better, and the clean up is way easier. I think the max weight I can do is about 8lbs tho.

Brother...

Take a mallet and pound out the chicken breast and get it to a generally consistent thickness.
I did that a few times a long time ago and can't remember why I don't anymore. It doesn't mess the meat up?

Yes, it came with the smoker box and the rotisserie setup. I mainly do chickens but I can throw a 5lb butt on there and it comes out pretty **** good. The hardest part is keeping it down at 225 degrees. The first butt I did fell apart while I was spinning it. My mom gave me her old master built smoker but I like spinning it on the grill better, and the clean up is way easier. I think the max weight I can do is about 8lbs tho.
get it to 300, on all burners...and turn off all but one burner. it'll keep at a good temp

Advertisement
Liked the old Rub Dat Butt better, the newer version is too salty.

KC Masterpiece used to make a rub that was the bomb, tasted like BBQ sauce, sadly they discontinued it.

I hear good things about It's Incredible/Heaven Made products, can anybody on here confirm, looking for a low salt rub...

Get one of those thermometers that you can stick in the breast while it's in the oven. Thing with ******* is you have to cook em' to 165, if you let ******* rise to something like 185 chances are they'll dry out. **** I've heard you can cook em' to 160-162 and let the carryover cooking take em' to 165, haven't tried it though.

Advertisement
Back