The Bank (team edition) 1/29

View as article
Advertisement
Advertisement
Mario missing on Innis and Jeremiah Smith in back to back years is going to hurt big time as far as getting to the next level

A WR room with Smith and Trader on the outside and Restrepo and Innis on the inside would’ve been LSU, Bama, OSU, Washington esk, etc.

Instead we’ll be looking for impact guys in the portal to go with Restrepo and ideally JoJo is ready day 1

10 transfers out / retirements is almost a yawn. I know it's hard on the players themselves but being 4th-string and not joining the team on road games is just as miserable. Most if not nearly all probably have their degrees.

I'm overall excited about the progress talentwise. But let's face it, WR should already have been a huge focus, along with DT (no Burroughs) and CB.

D, in part 2 can you talk about tight end a little more? Arroyo progress, et al?

Advertisement
10 transfers out / retirements is almost a yawn. I know it's hard on the players themselves but being 4th-string and not joining the team on road games is just as miserable. Most if not nearly all probably have their degrees.

I'm overall excited about the progress talentwise. But let's face it, WR should already have been a huge focus, along with DT (no Burroughs) and CB.

D, in part 2 can you talk about tight end a little more? Arroyo progress, et al?
Get me an established starter at Safety,

IMO priorities (what they should be):
WR1
Starting Safety
CB2
Rotational DT

Advertisement
Mario missing on Innis and Jeremiah Smith in back to back years is going to hurt big time as far as getting to the next level

A WR room with Smith and Trader on the outside and Restrepo and Innis on the inside would’ve been LSU, Bama, OSU, Washington esk, etc.

Instead we’ll be looking for impact guys in the portal to go with Restrepo and ideally JoJo is ready day 1
I disagree. I think this narrative is brought to life because of the lack or inability of our QBs this past year, as @Brooklyndee has stated before.

Advertisement
It’s been a while, as I wanted to let some dust settle before giving you the latest, direct information on the team and recruiting. I broke the Bank up into two sections- the latest on the Class of 2025 can be found HERE.

- First, I wanted to provide some first impressions on the Class of ’24 signees and Portal additions now that they've arrived on campus. DISCLAIMER: there is only so much you can read into workouts. None of this is Gospel on how they will actually play. But there’s some value in the “Blink” scouting of physical tools. Note that some players who are not listed below are battling minor ailments.

- When I asked about the new arrivals, a source quickly pointed to QB Judd Anderson and ATH Chris Wheatley-Humphrey as guys who belong. The source described Wheatley-Humphrey as a “natural football player” and noted that Anderson is throwing the ball well. Elija Lofton may not pass the look test but is generating buzz and projects to have a role as a TE, FB and even a tailback at Miami.

- Of course, the highest-ranked signees are far more likely to provide an instant impact. We saw this last year with Mauigoa, Bain and Fletcher. This year is no different. WR JoJo Trader, DE Marquise Lightfoot and S Zaquan Patterson were all described as “freaks." JUCO OT Markel Bell also got high marks for his physical tools (“First round traits”) but will need some seasoning to reach his ceiling.

- Some of the transfers who earned high marks were Albany QB Reese Poffenbarger (“Stud”), Washington safety Mishael Powell and Vanderbilt safety Savion Riley. Again, it’s very early, but I’ve heard quick reviews go the other way in the past when it’s obvious a kid can’t play here. The report on Cam Ward was simple- he is exactly what they expected, in a good way.

- There has been a lot of talk about numbers. I’m not sure the number is as high as has been reported, probably closer to 10 than 20. I won’t go through the potential names here, but I didn’t hear any shockers. Note that if a kid becomes medically disqualified, he would also count to the attrition number.

- RB Rodney Hill, who previously committed as a walk-on, will be headed to FAMU.

- I asked specifically about RB Chris Johnson and was told that he is expected to play and make an impact this year. Speed kills, as we’ve seen in the NFL with guys like Devon Achane and Jahmyr Gibbs.

- OT Samson Okunlola is a player who has had encouraging growth in the strength and conditioning program. His knee surgery set him back just as he was surging in practice, but it was not an ACL tear and he may be back for spring.

- While this may change after spring, wide receiver is the top position to watch in the next Portal period.
What I expected of Poff Puff whatever his name is. I saw the film and thought baller

Get me an established starter at Safety,

IMO priorities (what they should be):
WR1
Starting Safety
CB2
Rotational DT

You have 5 guys with experience there in Powell, Riley, Markeith, Harris and Spencer, with Patterson most likely an early contributor. I'm more concerned about CB personally, though I guess Powell is a hybrid who can move to either position. ... Either way, we need one more DB1, let Guidry figure out which spot needs the most help.

Advertisement
Back