The Bank (camp edition 8/10)

View as article
Advertisement
Moultrie before Lich.
I don’t see how Moultrie is going to see the field much. He was an average talent at the g5 level.

Lichtenstein, if healthy will be in the rotation at end and tackle

I don’t see how Moultrie is going to see the field much. He was an average talent at the g5 level.

Lichtenstein, if healthy will be in the rotation at end and tackle
Yep. Add in the fact that he missed spring and it's going to be tough for him imo.

Advertisement
sucking bart simpson GIF
Suck Up Yes Man GIF by Noise Nest Network

What’s ur feel on what weaknesses need to be cleaned up b4 the season to get to that next level
That's what I want to know.

I'll bite:
HOTTAKE ALERT :6fps6:

1a) WR unit
b) Offensive Line

2) Linebacker

**Staff did a good job making DL concerns into a strength**
** CB might be an issue but as for now I'm a believer**

I assume you mean Nelson.

Surgery was just after the 4th of July weekend. Let's assume the end of that week, July 8th.

His timeline is 6-8 weeks. 6 weeks would be August 19th. 8 weeks would be September 2, essentially right at Week 1.

So I think aggressively he's practicing for a couple weeks and potentially playing Week 1, definitely by Week 2 and is close to or at 100% by A&M.

Conservatively, he misses Week 1 for sure, probably Week 2, and will be iffy for A&M.

Either way, unless he has a setback, we should have him for 80% of the season, at worst. And there's certainly a chance he misses no time, or possibly just the Bethune scrimmage.
I'm not optimistic on Zion's return. I'd rather him not play or st least not start against AtM.

He's missing the entire Fall camp. There's no way he could play at his best that early in the season without camp. He's missing out on a lot because in-season practice is not the same as Fall camp practice.

He'll be most needed against the ACC, especially Clemson. I'm not expecting much @AtM.

It's like a world champion boxer coming off an injury. You don't want him fighting a championship contender so soon after his return. Rushing Zion back could be detrimental to himself and the team.

Advertisement
Maybe missed elsewhere, but who on OL is dealing with injury other than Zion Nelson? Anything serious?

That deep stable of length and athleticism has given the OL (which is not as deep and is battling injuries) a ton of problems.

Is Michael Redding in the mix for any playing time?

I was so excited about that kid, sounds like he has been passed up. Literally haven’t heard a peep about him being in the mix although I know he has dealt with some injuries. With this being year 3 for him, I can see him being a transfer candidate if he doesn’t break through this season.

I'm not optimistic on Zion's return. I'd rather him not play or st least not start against AtM.

He's missing the entire Fall camp. There's no way he could play at his best that early in the season without camp. He's missing out on a lot because in-season practice is not the same as Fall camp practice.

He'll be most needed against the ACC, especially Clemson. I'm not expecting much @AtM.

It's like a world champion boxer coming off an injury. You don't want him fighting a championship contender so soon after his return. Rushing Zion back could be detrimental to himself and the team.

IMO you're reading too much into it. If you're healthy enough to play, you're healthy enough to play. If you're not, you're not. I don't think you risk injury more if it's against a certain opponent. Now, if you are talking more on just the time side of things, then I'm with you. Meaning, hey, this guy is ready, but we're playing Bethune, let's keep him on the bike another week and get his conditioning up, continue to strengthen the knee, etc., I'm on board. But he's not more likely to get injured vs A&M than he is vs Middle Tennessee State just because A&M has better athletes. He still needs to be able to move, bend, explode, chop, plant, push, etc., regardless of who he's playing against.

If his knee feels good by 9/17, you play him against A&M. Ideally he's ready before then at least has a game under his belt before that week, but this dude has been a starter for 4 years. He knows what he's doing. If he's healthy, you play him.

Advertisement
Lots of “IFs” on this roster. Manny collected some talent but the lack of development has hurt. Last P5 HC to win their division year 1? Doesn’t happen often.

I expect Miami to compete, but the CB, OL, WR, LB & DE rooms are below average compared to elites. Defense couldn’t even tackle QBs in the open field last season. Unless TVD goes inferno 9 wins seems to be ceiling.

I'll fight back on a couple of these points. I think you're correct in that our o-line is nowhere near where Mario nor the fanbase wants it to be, and that will take time to develop. However, it should absolutely improve under Mario and Mirabal.

As for the other two points, I'll respectfully disagree. Gattis may not be the ****, high-flying passing wizard that many of us like to watch, but he fits in really well with what Mario wants to establish on offense; and so, I think he is a phenomenal fit on this coaching staff. His offensive philosophy is perfect for this current roster; you are correct in that our WR room has humongous question marks. But...his offensive approach highlights our strengths on that side of the ball: RB and TE.

By all accounts, the RB room is littered with talent and speed. We're going to see guys like Knighton and Parrish excel in the passing game with some explosive routes on slower defenders, and combined with Mario and Mirabal's creativity with blocking schemes (more pulling of guards, etc.), we should see an improvement in the run game. TE's are going to absolutely feast, I expect big things (contingent upon health) from Mallory and Arroyo.

We don't need an amazing WR room to win the Coastal and have a successful offense. He won the Broyles award for a reason, and was successful before that. I think we average closer to 34-35 ppg like last season.
I'm expecting big things from the offensive line this year. Once Clark was inserted into the lineup at OC, the OL was was a plus in pass protection allowing TVD to be TVD. I expect the same in pass blocking, but then to actually have serviceable to good run blocking.

We have Campbell and Rivers back who Mario is high on both. Add in the transfers and we have a strong 2-deep rotation.

I have zero concerns at WR. The dudes will emerge. We just don't know who they'll be. TVD is going to put up his numbers, so somebody's going to get the catches.

Mario has done an excellent job putting the roster together. He's taken a suspect and terrible defense and turned it into a strength of the team. I'm expecting the defense to be in the upper echelon of the ACC and may make some national noise.

Advertisement
How’s Leonard Taylor looking size wise? I was watching the highlights from last year and it looked like he was playing at like 270, almost making me think he should be a big edge if he can’t put on mass easily.

I'll fight back on a couple of these points. I think you're correct in that our o-line is nowhere near where Mario nor the fanbase wants it to be, and that will take time to develop. However, it should absolutely improve under Mario and Mirabal.

As for the other two points, I'll respectfully disagree. Gattis may not be the ****, high-flying passing wizard that many of us like to watch, but he fits in really well with what Mario wants to establish on offense; and so, I think he is a phenomenal fit on this coaching staff. His offensive philosophy is perfect for this current roster; you are correct in that our WR room has humongous question marks. But...his offensive approach highlights our strengths on that side of the ball: RB and TE.

By all accounts, the RB room is littered with talent and speed. We're going to see guys like Knighton and Parrish excel in the passing game with some explosive routes on slower defenders, and combined with Mario and Mirabal's creativity with blocking schemes (more pulling of guards, etc.), we should see an improvement in the run game. TE's are going to absolutely feast, I expect big things (contingent upon health) from Mallory and Arroyo.

We don't need an amazing WR room to win the Coastal and have a successful offense. He won the Broyles award for a reason, and was successful before that. I think we average closer to 34-35 ppg like last season.
That’s the thing, I haven’t really been a fan of the way Oregon has looked on offense since Mario has been there. Any OC that wants to run 3 TE’s sets and the TE be the vocal point of the offense should be eliminated as a candidate at MIAMI specifically. And I’m not taking anything away from Gattis, I think he’s a very good OC, I just don’t think that type of offense will ever put us back in contention.

So we're back to the point where it might hinge on our O line. Hopefully Mirabal is making a statement here.
Will need a lot of misdirection and quick throws to keep them off balance. I think this could be a low scoring matchup. Not blown away by their new QB based on his work at LSU. If Steele and Strong can make us remotely what we've seen from them in the past, this could be a competitive game.

Advertisement
Back