The Bank (camp edition 8/10)

View as article
I agree with D by mid season Citizen will be trending up with carries. Parrish is a Swiss Army knife so imagine he’ll have a bunch of snaps.
How is it that a team like Iowa or Wisconsin would beg on all fours for a back as highly regarded as Thad Franklin out of high school & our fan base just tosses him out like trash? (not saying you or D$ just the overall sentiment I feel)

Advertisement
It’s still early, but first impressions can often tell us a lot. Here is some initial buzz from the team’s first four practices:

- The defensive line is nothing like the depleted group we saw in spring. Between the five DL transfers and the return of guys like Jared Harrison-Hunte, Elijah Roberts and Jabari Ishmael, this group can legitimately field three complete units. That deep stable of length and athleticism has given the OL (which is not as deep and is battling injuries) a ton of problems. Akheem Mesidor, Mitchell Agude and Darrell Jackson are three new additions causing chaos.

- We’ve seen NFL defensive ends flash early on Greentree. Greg Rousseau, Jaelen Phillips, Joe Jackson and Jon Garvin come to mind. Nyjalik Kelly is cut from the same cloth. After missing spring, Kelly has come out on fire in camp and looks like a future superstar. Picks, TFLs, sacks- he is the story so far. His bend is elite, which allows him to angle toward the QB even if it looks like he’s blocked. He’s a long 6’4 with the quickness to redirect and the lower-body strength to hold up against the run. He still looks like a kid in the upper body and has major growth potential. Last year, we saw another Broward DE named Dallas Turner make a big impact for a title contender. Kelly can help us right now.

- The injury to Zion Nelson has allowed other players to get reps at LT. The most impressive so far is Jalen Rivers. His combination of IQ and sheer size has allowed him to handle disruptive players like Agude. Rivers is also a people-mover in the run game. He was arguably our best OL last year before his injury (including Zion), and I would not be surprised if the same thing is true this year.

- Our best overall CB may be Te’Cory Couch. He has added mass while maintaining his elite foot quickness and 4.4 speed. He's mostly working nickel. Another DB who is having a great start is James Williams. Everyone focuses on his size, but his IQ is his real superpower. He sniffs things out before they happen and covers so much ground with his length and twitch. Expect him to line up all over the field.

- Thomas Davis is shifting between LB and third-down rusher and showing some serious juice. It’s tough to evaluate LBs until full-contact scrimmages, but he is someone with a chance to see the field. Caleb Johnson (UCLA transfer) is also making an impression with his pure speed.

- By now, everyone has seen pictures of TreVonte’ Citizen looking like an NFL RB. But the real story is his toughness. He's not backing down from anybody and delivers blows in pass protection and at the end of runs. It's hard to judge running ability without full-contact and tackling to the ground. But based on attitude and physical tools, it would not surprise me one bit if Citizen is starting by the end of the year.

- Elijah Arroyo has lost weight and looks athletic like his high school tape. We already saw what he brings to the table as a physical blocker. Put it together, and you have one of the most gifted TEs in the nation.

- Jacolby George and Xavier Restrepo have stood out at WR so far. One guy who has a chance to join that group is Romello Brinson. His twitch and suddenness are obvious and different than the rest. This is the unit to watch in the scrimmages.

Great write up, per usual.

What’s ur feel on what weaknesses need to be cleaned up b4 the season to get to that next level, based upon what u’ve either observed or heard?

I went from completely horrified about this defensive line to downright excited in 8 months. Simply incredible what we have been able to do in that group already. My main hangup, by far, in hoping for a successful season was the defensive line and I said it for several months last winter. But I really think this will not only NOT be a problem, but it might actually be a very good DL when it all shakes out. There is such a nice mixture of available bodies, older/stronger upperclassmen, different skills, and young, upside athleticism.

We have 3 kids who are 6th year seniors. 24 year old men who should be able to hold up physically against just about anyone:

Moultrie (265 lbs)-- Played in 40+ college football games, very productive, should at least be good enough to hold down a handful of snaps against anyone
Agude (255 lbs) -- 2nd team All-Pac 12. 15 starts at the P5 level. Very similar to above, should be able to hold up against anybody we play.
Lichtenstein (270 lbs) -- Not expecting the world here but should be able to provide some depth. Lot of injuries but this kid played 11 games at the P5 level in 2018. It's 2022. 3rd on the team last year in sacks and TFLs.

We have 6 kids who 3rd/4th/5th year players who have experience at this level, and at least some productivity:

Williams (255 lbs) -- The DMoney special, 3rd year soph primed to hopefully take the next step
Harvey (250 lbs) -- Should be at worst one of our 1-2 best pass rushers. 4th year RS-Soph. 20+ games of experience. Generating early draft talk.
JHH (285 lbs) -- Quick 3T who is entering Year 4 with a ton of experience. Should be a starter this year, or at least a HEAVY rotation guy
Mesidor (280 lbs) -- Would shock no one to see this kid wind up our most productive and versatile DL. Immediate impact transfer as a 3rd year Soph.
Roberts (275 lbs) -- Should finally be able to hold his own physically after bulking for 3 years. Consensus 4-star prospect
Miller (320 lbs) -- We probably know who he is at this point, but should be able to eat some space in short yardage at 320 lbs in Year 5

And then a collection of 8 young upside players with mixes of size or elite athleticism who, at least a few, should be able to develop into excellent players:

LT (305 lbs) -- We know the deal here. It's your time to shine, young man. Expect a big true sophomore leap and this kid to be a freakshow this season.
Jackson (300 lbs) -- ELITE upside. A little polish here and we could have a superstar on our hands. Should be able to provide an immediate impact inside.
Kelly (240 lbs) -- True freshman opening eyes already. Not expecting 50 snaps a game, but this kid will play this year and should be able to contribute.
Moss (215 lbs) -- Will need a year to generate size, but absolutely elite athletic profile and by 2023 or 2024 he should be a high end starter at worst.
Ishmael (245 lbs) -- R-Fr, probably needs to continue to put on size
Davis (220 lbs) -- Hybrid rush end/backer, DMoney mentioned him in the OP as someone who is already looking like a player. R-Fr.
Haye (305 lbs) -- R-Fr who will get a chance to show what he can do this year
Moten (325) -- Underrated signee late after Mario arrived. Had lot of interest from national schools. Should be able to develop slowly, but good prospect.

That's 17 kids who all project to either at least have a small role last year, or certainly have potential in future years to develop into serviceable players. For this season only, we should legitimately be able to rotate somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 kids on the DL who have differing strengths. I'm not sure anyone here is a consensus first-team All-ACC player (although nobody would be shocked if LT, Jackson, or Mesidor got to that level soon), but that is a good collection of versatile players, old and young, big and athletic, that should allow us to hold up against everybody we play.

Bottom line, this group of kids compared to what we had in the 2nd half of last season should really be night and day. I went from covering my eyes when looking at this group to genuine excitement to see how they hold up.

Advertisement
How is it that a team like Iowa or Wisconsin would beg on all fours for a back as highly regarded as Thad Franklin out of high school & our fan base just tosses him out like trash? (not saying you or D$ just the overall sentiment I feel)
Why are you taking it as him getting tossed out? If he’s gonna get passed (he probably will) it’s on him and the guy behind him is better

Advertisement
Let’s assume Nelson is at full strength by A&M and he starts at LT.

I know this is impossible without pads/scrimmages but if we plug him in at LT, who starts at the other 4 spots?
When is Rivers supposed to be back? Any rumors bouncing around on his timetable? Really would love for his first reps of the season to come before the TAMU game.

I think you’ll like the end result. If I had to guess today
You think Max Johnson gets the nod? I have a hard time believing he rides the bench after transferring in, but who knows. Haynes King didn’t look terrible.

Advertisement
It’s still early, but first impressions can often tell us a lot. Here is some initial buzz from the team’s first four practices:

- The defensive line is nothing like the depleted group we saw in spring. Between the five DL transfers and the return of guys like Jared Harrison-Hunte, Elijah Roberts and Jabari Ishmael, this group can legitimately field three complete units. That deep stable of length and athleticism has given the OL (which is not as deep and is battling injuries) a ton of problems. Akheem Mesidor, Mitchell Agude and Darrell Jackson are three new additions causing chaos.

- We’ve seen NFL defensive ends flash early on Greentree. Greg Rousseau, Jaelen Phillips, Joe Jackson and Jon Garvin come to mind. Nyjalik Kelly is cut from the same cloth. After missing spring, Kelly has come out on fire in camp and looks like a future superstar. Picks, TFLs, sacks- he is the story so far. His bend is elite, which allows him to angle toward the QB even if it looks like he’s blocked. He’s a long 6’4 with the quickness to redirect and the lower-body strength to hold up against the run. He still looks like a kid in the upper body and has major growth potential. Last year, we saw another Broward DE named Dallas Turner make a big impact for a title contender. Kelly can help us right now.

- The injury to Zion Nelson has allowed other players to get reps at LT. The most impressive so far is Jalen Rivers. His combination of IQ and sheer size has allowed him to handle disruptive players like Agude. Rivers is also a people-mover in the run game. He was arguably our best OL last year before his injury (including Zion), and I would not be surprised if the same thing is true this year.

- Our best overall CB may be Te’Cory Couch. He has added mass while maintaining his elite foot quickness and 4.4 speed. He's mostly working nickel. Another DB who is having a great start is James Williams. Everyone focuses on his size, but his IQ is his real superpower. He sniffs things out before they happen and covers so much ground with his length and twitch. Expect him to line up all over the field.

- Thomas Davis is shifting between LB and third-down rusher and showing some serious juice. It’s tough to evaluate LBs until full-contact scrimmages, but he is someone with a chance to see the field. Caleb Johnson (UCLA transfer) is also making an impression with his pure speed.

- By now, everyone has seen pictures of TreVonte’ Citizen looking like an NFL RB. But the real story is his toughness. He's not backing down from anybody and delivers blows in pass protection and at the end of runs. It's hard to judge running ability without full-contact and tackling to the ground. But based on attitude and physical tools, it would not surprise me one bit if Citizen is starting by the end of the year.

- Elijah Arroyo has lost weight and looks athletic like his high school tape. We already saw what he brings to the table as a physical blocker. Put it together, and you have one of the most gifted TEs in the nation.

- Jacolby George and Xavier Restrepo have stood out at WR so far. One guy who has a chance to join that group is Romello Brinson. His twitch and suddenness are obvious and different than the rest. This is the unit to watch in the scrimmages.
If Kelly were a stock, you'd grab all you can. What's crazy is he's 17 1/2 years old. With health and great coaching, the sky is the limit.

Advertisement
Anyone who watched spring practice knew defensive line was a major problem. This is welcome news to say the least.
True, But I kept posting on this board the defensive line and defense in general was without several key pieces.

Elijah Roberts
Mitchell Agude
Ahkeem Mesidor -added after spring
Darrell Jackson -added after spring
Antonio Moultrie
JHH
N. Kelly

Caleb Johnson
Chase Smith

Tyrique
Porter
Kam