The Bank (8/21)

View as article
He played at 6’1 and change , 218 pounds at UGA. His ceiling at the next level is why I think GM’s will nut their pants over him. Big kid that will run 4.4-4.5, plays physical , great punch off the line , not afraid to bring the hat and has the hips to turn and run. He’s strong enough to line up over a te and hold his own. He still has technique / footwork things to work on but the tangibles and intangibles are through the roof. Regardless if it’s the first or third round I believe he’ll be getting years of pro checks.
everything you guys are saying about him makes sense on paper. if he's this guy though there should be more explosive plays this year. 1 INT, 2.5 TFL, 0.5 sacks, 4 PBU last year. not bad but nothing crazy. possible that those numbers increase this year if he's playing some at the star position, which might be a good argument for using him there.

Advertisement
Different WR’s work better in different systems.

None of the current WR’s were recruited to fit this system.

This system requires more precision in technique & mechanics in route running. The timing is a lot more of a focal point & the spacing is different, which means the onus to getting open & in your spot on time to catch the ball is more on the WR & not already baked into the system. The windows are tighter, therefore the propensity to drop the ball will be higher if you’re not already an Elite hands catcher to begin with.

Hence why the WR who has excelled the most thus far & has had the easiest transition was the best route runner, XR.

Between George, Brinson, K Smith & B Smith, it will take them some time to get more congruent with the Offense.

Plain question:

Do you think there may be a moment where we say, ‘ok, let’s get some wide splits and manufacture some chances on things some of these guys already did?’ I'm not saying the main part of our offense. I realize we're going 12 personnel (which doesn't limit some of these splits, btw, especially with our guys) like 97% of the time and running a ton of stuff inside the hashes. I'm talking...maybe game 6 and we're like, let's get a no-huddle package in there.

Rambo split to near sideline on a 15ish comeback.png
Rambo split out at the top of the screen to **** near the sideline on a 12-15 yard comeback. Easy money. Someone would have to convince me we don't have a player who can run this route and catch it. We know the QB can throw it.

Key Smith goes vertical for a big gain.png

Key Smith vertical route through space. Big gainer on 3rd down.

everything you guys are saying about him makes sense on paper. if he's this guy though there should be more explosive plays this year. 1 INT, 2.5 TFL, 0.5 sacks, 4 PBU last year. not bad but nothing crazy. possible that those numbers increase this year if he's playing some at the star position, which might be a good argument for using him there.
I don’t care about Int or pbu’s. I care about taking away your side and allowing the defense to roll guys elsewhere. Trevon Diggs is Mr int but gets beat like a rented mule. Its an int or he’s beat. The risk isn’t worth the reward. Lock your side down and everybody will be happy. Ts, our coaches , scouts , gm’s and his agent.

In a perfect world I don’t want to hear my cb’s or Ol‘s names mentioned one time during the game.

I don’t care about Int or pbu’s. I care about taking away your side and allowing the defense to roll guys elsewhere. Trevon Diggs is Mr int but gets beat like a rented mule. Its a int or he’s beat. The risk isn’t worth the reward. Lock your side down and everybody will be happy. Ts, our coaches , scouts , gm’s and his agent.

In a perfect world I don’t want to hear my cb’s or Ol‘s names mentioned one time during the game.
We rarely ever heard his name. Also the only time we really did was the MSU game and that was clearly not on him

I remember entire games not hearing his name or the receiver he was covering

That’s really all you gotta see to know how he’s playing

Advertisement
Plain question:

Do you think there may be a moment where we say, ‘ok, let’s get some wide splits and manufacture some chances on things some of these guys already did?’ I'm not saying the main part of our offense. I realize we're going 12 personnel (which doesn't limit some of these splits, btw, especially with our guys) like 97% of the time and running a ton of stuff inside the hashes. I'm talking...maybe game 6 and we're like, let's get a no-huddle package in there.

View attachment 204951
Rambo split out to **** near the sideline on a 12-15 yard comeback. Easy money. Someone would have to convince me we don't have a player who can run this route and catch it. We know the QB can throw it.

View attachment 204952

Depends on how Gattis feels about it...

If you’re asking me, of course I would, but it’s not something that Gattis ran very often if much at all during his tenure at Michigan. Maybe different personnel creates different circumstances that results in wider array of formation & Splits, but it remains to be seen exactly how much we can glean from his previous stint as OC.

Again, it goes back to philosophy; it’s a matter of what kind of play caller are you when things you expect to work don’t work? Could they implement some concepts from last year that bore success? Sure they could. Will they? We’ll see...

Plain question:

View attachment 204951
Rambo split out at the top of the screen to **** near the sideline on a 12-15 yard comeback. Easy money. Someone would have to convince me we don't have a player who can run this route and catch it. We know the QB can throw it.

View attachment 204952

I mentioned this after losing Don , Gattis should implement some of Rhett’s stuff from later in the season last year. Oc’s can change things , we saw it last season. It’s ok to bend your scheme towards the talent to help cover up flaws. Bigger splits is one of the areas.

Depends on how Gattis feels about it...

If you’re asking me, of course I would, but it’s not something that Gattis ran very often if much at all during his tenure at Michigan. Maybe different personnel creates different circumstances that results in wider array of formation & Splits, but it remains to be seen exactly how much we can glean from his previous stint as OC.

Again, it goes back to philosophy; it’s a matter of what kind of play caller are you when things you expect to work don’t work? Could they implement some concepts from last year that bore success? Sure they could. Will they? We’ll see...
Oh, I know they can. Ha. I asked if you think we will.

Oh, I know they can. Ha. I asked if you think we will.
I don’t know.

If we’re going by just his 3 years at Michigan as OC, then I would guess probably not.

But is there a possibility he adds more stuff to his repertoire & does some things different from his Mich Offense? Sure... I mean at least I would hope so.

It depends on his play call style; some play callers believe in leaving no stone left unturned & will try anything if it works. Some believe in sticking with what they know come **** or High-water, there’s no way to know which side of the coin he fits on until we see it on the field this season.

Advertisement
I don’t know.

If we’re going by just his 3 years at Michigan as OC, then I would guess probably not.

But is there a possibility he adds more stuff to his repertoire & does some things different from his Mich Offense? Sure... I mean at least I would hope so.

It depends on his play call style; some play callers believe in leaving no stone left unturned & will try anything if it works. Some believe in sticking with what they know come **** or High-water, there’s no way to know which side of the coin he fits on until we see it on the field this season.
Don't put that Enos evil on us. Take it back. I'd like to believe someone as ambitious as Coach Gattis will be more open and flexible. Guy wants to be a HC. He's got an NFL arm at QB. His TEs can go vertical as well as almost any other group in the nation. He's got guys on the team who flashed when given some pace and space. Hope he cashes in on the opportunity to show his stuff.

He’s going In the first 45 ish picks. Miami catch fire and **** who knows..maybe we get us a premium pick
TS in first 45 and TVD and Zion in first 32. What a turnaround that would be from this season and Jon Ford as our only draft pick in the 7th!

I think if we have the season we all know we can up to eight guys get drafted.

Above three and five of Messidor, Harvey, Agude, Caleb Johnson, Scaife, Mallory, an RB if Parrish or Rooster establish himself.

Not saying all these guys will/could go, BUT they have the potential and availability to do so.

You’re taking my comment out of context.

Some posters are saying not to be concerned with drops and pointing to how Rambo emerged last season after camp. IMO Rambo was an exception. All you have to do is look at the previous season to see that usually what you see in camp is exactly what you get in the games. Maybe you even get worse in games.

Were Harley, Pope and Wiggins our starters in 2020 or not? I was lumping them together because they were WR 1, 2 and 3. And they were not good as a group.
Except Harley was great in 2020. Also, he had drop issues previously but when he finally started taking things seriously, his drop issues went away

Advertisement

This system requires more precision in technique & mechanics in route running. The timing is a lot more of a focal point & the spacing is different, which means the onus to getting open & in your spot on time to catch the ball is more on the WR & not already baked into the system. The windows are tighter, therefore the propensity to drop the ball will be higher if you’re not already an Elite hands catcher to begin with.

Hence why the WR who has excelled the most thus far & has had the easiest transition was the best route runner, XR.

Between George, Brinson, K Smith & B Smith, it will take them some time to get more congruent with the Offense.
Makes a ton of sense. Thanks for breaking it down this way.

Don't put that Enos evil on us. Take it back. I'd like to believe someone as ambitious as Coach Gattis will be more open and flexible. Guy wants to be a HC. He's got an NFL arm at QB. His TEs can go vertical as well as almost any other group in the nation. He's got guys on the team who flashed when given some pace and space. Hope he cashes in on the opportunity to show his stuff.
Lol I wasn’t insinuating that at all, just genuinely answering your question.

I honestly don’t know, we’ll see this season.

I believe he played at University of Richmond and played against BC while there. So he does have some major college experience.
Miami beats out a Richmond for…..,

The fan base would lose their minds.

Advertisement
I don’t know.

Did being in the B1G have a lot to do with the offense he ran?

Gattis is obviously sharp as a tack. I could be completely off base, but I can’t see him running his offense come **** or high water especially since he stated a time or 2 he’ll cater his offense based on available personnel.

Gleaning some info from player post practiSe pressers, the OL and TVD say they’re pulling more than last year, even the C. All including TVD seem excited about the new offense. Time will tell.

Thank you for stepping in LCE. We all know you know. My question then is based on the bolder part.

Aren’t these things teachable/ coachable? Couldn’t we say these are skills the best WRs have regardless of system? My point here is that these WRs should be able to learn these things and their goals, regardless of systems, should be to be mechanically sound and technical route runners. Why does it feel like only our guys struggle with that?

Ugh why would you speak that into existence? That's exactly my anxiety with Gattis as well - Spread Coast Part Deux.

Ugh why would you speak that into existence? That's exactly my anxiety with Gattis as well - Spread Coast Part Deux.
im not saying he’ll be like him. I was responding to Liberty’s post about inflexibility. As I said, Gattis is an ambitious professional. My hope is he’ll adjust as needed. Look forward to seeing it.

Advertisement
Back