The Bank (8/15) (Camp Edition)

View as article
I’m not saying we’ll have an elite run D but Guidry had a great run D at Marshall. Just go watch the ND game where his undersized defense held up fine against that massive ND OL.

Here’s the facts , we won’t be running a passive , conservative D like last year. We’ll attack and have the numbers advantage a good amount of the time. That alone will help make up for no big space fillers on the DL. We’ll be bringing pressure and much more aggressive. It’s about alignments and confusion around the los.

There’ll be plays we get out of lanes , or blitz away from the run causing long runs but as a whole I think we hold up ok. With our pass rush I would be fine being a middle of the pack run D.

The only reason people are freaked out about the run D is we’ve had multiple scrimmages where the offense ran the ball well. Btw I get the concerns but I also trust LG and his scheme. The d will play downhill.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I’m not saying we’ll have an elite run D but Guidry had a great run D at Marshall. Just go watch the ND game where his undersized defense held up fine against that massive ND OL.

Here’s the facts , we won’t be running a passive , conservative D like last year. We’ll attack and have the numbers advantage a good amount of the time. That alone will help make up for no big space fillers on the DL. We’ll
be bringing pressure and much more aggressive. There’ll be plays we get out of lanes and get gashed or blitz away from the run and get hit but as a whole I think we hold up ok. With our pass rush I would be fine being a middle of the pack run D.

The only reason people are freaked out about the run D is we’ve had multiple scrimmages where the offense ran the ball well. Btw I get the concerns but I also trust LG and his scheme. The d will play downhill.
Some act like we have nothing at DT & we're gonna have this terrible run D. LT & Deen are an excellent pair. They are more suited for rushing the passer but they aren't some undersized chopped liver pair. They'll make plenty of TFL on 1st & 2nd downs. Also our LB's should be much better. Also James Williams will be closer to the box. All things considered our run D will be fine.

Here’s the facts , we won’t be running a passive , conservative D like last year. We’ll attack and have the numbers advantage a good amount of the time. That alone will help make up for no big space fillers on the DL. We’ll
be bringing pressure and much more aggressive. There’ll be plays we get out of lanes and get gashed or blitz away from the run and get hit but as a whole I think we hold up ok. With our pass rush I would be fine being a middle of the pack run D.

There is also a good chance that we will have the ability to run on most teams with our OL. We should have one of the better OL in the country and when you add in 2 of the best interior OL in the country in Lee and Cohen we should be able to do that to most teams.

Advertisement
Some act like we have nothing at DT & we're gonna have this terrible run D. LT & Deen are an excellent pair. They are more suited for rushing the passer but they aren't some undersized chopped liver pair. They'll make plenty of TFL on 1st & 2nd downs. Also our LB's should be much better. Also James Williams will be closer to the box. All things considered our run D will be fine.
People here continue to sleep on Deen because he’s not massive. Dude was a beast at Purdue while playing against the biggest OL’s every week. He’s quick with great hands , quickness and high level IQ. He knows how to use his body and is normally a step ahead. Just go watch his Michigan film.

It could be bad run D or it could be our OL is really good at run blocking. Could be a bit of both. 2 and a half weeks to find out. We will know soon enough. I will be at the first game.
I think that's what I would take from this more than anything. We are expecting to have a really good offensive line. I think this is something we will be seeing a lot this season.

Bain is going to end up a 295 pound Reggie White type inside/outside guy when it’s all said and done. He’s going to be a menace.

Disappointing to not hear Harvey or Chantz mentioned but Mesidor, Kelly and Bain are on another level with Wayne chasing.

Just hoping Moss can grow into an effective P5 DE.
I completely forgot chantz was still on the team.

Pains me to say, but I doubt moss ever plays a snap here…looks like he just can’t put on weight and especially after so many guys added weight this offseason

Advertisement

orlando scandrick boards GIF

Here’s the facts , we won’t be running a passive , conservative D like last year. We’ll attack and have the numbers advantage a good amount of the time. That alone will help make up for no big space fillers on the DL. We’ll be bringing pressure and much more aggressive. There’ll be plays we get out of lanes and get gashed or blitz away from the run and get hit but as a whole I think we hold up ok. With our pass rush I would be fine being a middle of the pack run D.

Cant Lie this scares me. Im not sure we have the guys in the secondary to match up 1-1 on the the outside.

Advertisement
These were the top defenses in FBS against the rush last year. I used yards per carry as the metric since that rules out teams that play purposely slow on offense in order to limit their opponents' possessions.

1. James Madison
2. Iowa
3. Georgia
4. Marshall (Lance Guidry)
5. Wisconsin
6. Navy
7. Iowa State
8. San Jose State
9. Clemson
10. Michigan

The idea that you can't stop the run without 350 lb defensive tackles a myth.

Miami was 68th last year.

Cant Lie this scares me. Im not sure we have the guys in the secondary to match up 1-1 on the the outside.
You don’t have to sell out to stop the run , it’s about where the pressure comes from versus where the run goes. Guidry is unorthodox , he uses confusion at the los versus say Manny sending everyone, with zero disguise. Which equals to feast or famine. As it’s been said here to nauseam “ Guidry plays with guard rails “. This isn’t some high risk , high reward scheme.

You don’t have to sell out to stop the run , it’s about where the pressure comes from versus where the run goes. Guidry is unorthodox , he uses confusion at the los versus say Manny sending everyone, with zero disguise. Which equals to feast or famine. As it’s been said here to nauseam “ Guidry plays with guard rails “. This isn’t some high risk , high reward scheme.
Even his signs are morecomplex. FSU had Manny's signs by the 4th. Something about where his hands were meant the LB's were staying back or coming. Hence their game winning drive.

Advertisement
People here continue to sleep on Deen because he’s not massive. Dude was a beast at Purdue while playing against the biggest OL’s every week. He’s quick with great hands , quickness and high level IQ. He knows how to use his body and is normally a step ahead. Just go watch his Michigan film.

He's also going to be **** near 24 years old by the end of the season.

Industrial Engineering Tech major at a really good school. I expect this kid to be a major contributor in this league. He's a grown man, literally, he's super smart and he knows it's money time.

If you can’t get to QB it doesn’t matter. A great d-line/blitzing can make any secondary look good.
Last year we played majority two deep or single high safety and we got blitzed in the run and pass. We sat back playing passive and still got bombed because we blew coverages. If that’s the case what’s the point of sitting back?

These were the top defenses in FBS against the rush last year. I used yards per carry as the metric since that rules out teams that play purposely slow on offense in order to limit their opponents' possessions.

1. James Madison
2. Iowa
3. Georgia
4. Marshall (Lance Guidry)
5. Wisconsin
6. Navy
7. Iowa State
8. San Jose State
9. Clemson
10. Michigan

The idea that you can't stop the run without 350 lb defensive tackles a myth.

Miami was 68th last year.

Also, if you wanna go the analytics route, Marshall was 12th in the country last year in adjusted defensive FEI rating. Miami was 66th.

They were 15th in F+ Defensive rating. Miami was 57th.

Also, just for some context, if you think this is just made up data, Miami's offense was 94th in F+ and 90th in FEI. So it sure seems like the math checks out to me.

Advertisement
Back