The Bank (7/6)

View as article
Advertisement
Hicks comin

major league baseball GIF

- Some very important people in Coral Gables love S Conrad Hussey (STA). Penn State did a good job identifying him early and that history will need to be overcome.
Any chance here or done deal?

Is he behind Bonus and Aguero any way or would they take him regardless

Any feel on Collins A? SIAP

Advertisement
Advertisement
Recruiting is a momentum game. The commitment of Francis Mauigoa put the nation on notice that this is a new day at Miami. Recruits are taking note, as well. This is the post-Big 3 era, and elite kids want to play with other elite players. That energy is being felt at the Hecht. There is a lot of talent ready to jump on board.

- The priority right now is completing the best OL class in the nation. Several staffers believe Samson Okunlola (Brockton, MA) is the top overall prospect in the country. I agree with them. Miami sits in a strong position and will remain relentless. Olaus Alinen (Finland) is another OL target that Miami wants badly. He is feeling Miami’s momentum. Tommy Kinsler (Ocala) is ranked near the top of the board above several big names. He will likely be the next to pop. Monroe Freeling (Mt. Pleasant, SC) is another stud in the mix but I’d put him behind the others in terms of likelihood.

- Miami is sitting in very good position for three commitments this month. DE Jayden Wayne (Tacoma, WA) is announcing Saturday and I expect the Canes to be the pick. Safety Jayden Bonsu (Hillside, NJ) is announcing on July 20th and I like the Canes over Ohio State. LB Malik Bryant (Orlando) is announcing on July 23rd and the Canes are in pole position. @Maskoff407 has been all over that one.

- WR Andy Jean (Miami Northwestern) is another player I hear is trending to Miami. Notably, he has already used his official visits to Florida and Texas A&M. I would also slot in RB Chris Johnson, Jr. (Ft. Lauderdale Dillard).

- Miami is aware of its momentum and will continue to recruit guys hard even if they are currently trailing. RB Cedric Baxter (Orlando), DT Sydir Mitchell (Oradell, NJ) and CB Cormani McClain (Lakeland) fit into this category. Miami’s relentlessness will pay off in the end with a couple of these guys, especially if the team has success.

- Don’t sleep on DL David Hicks (Katy, TX), the #1 DL in the nation. A source pointed out to me that he’s visited three times in the past year and that those guys tend to commit. Miami will continue to pursue him extremely hard.

- I feel better about Bryant than the other major LB target, Raul “Popo” Aguirre (Fayetteville, GA). But Popo is trending in the right direction with the Canes. Part of the process is making the family comfortable with Coral Gables.

- I got better feedback today on S Joenel Aguero (Lynn, MA) than I did after his visit. Miami people are noticing his enthusiasm on social media. @1murhurricane has the pulse of that recruitment.

- Some very important people in Coral Gables love S Conrad Hussey (STA). Penn State did a good job identifying him early and that history will need to be overcome.

- The social media love doesn’t work for everyone, but some kids take notice of the fan base’s enthusiasm. More to the point, many athletes are being conscious of their brands and the monetization that comes with it. Okunlola and Jalen Brown are two extremely high-priority targets who fit the bill. Both would likely react well to social media campaigns showing the branding opportunities at Miami.

- The commitment of Antoine Jackson (Dillard ’24) could set off a chain of 2024 commitments. Keep an eye on CB Desmond Ricks, the #2 overall player in the country. He played on Miami Immortals with Jaden Rashada, Brown, Jean, Robby Washington and a Cane-friendly staff. He is also teammates at IMG with Mauigoa, Wayne and Riley Williams. Ricks is a major priority.

- As the great @Cribby has alluded to, Thomas Davis is being moved to LB. He played it briefly as a high school senior and did well, but moved back to DL after that unit fell apart. It is a good move. We need talent at LB and Brown can really run. Longer EDGE players like Nyjalik Kelly are taking his snaps anyway. Kelly is generating a ton of buzz in workouts- he is bigger than people think and is moving with outstanding bend and quickness.

Thank you D$. OL recruiting is by far the best news we can have. That’s the ground base of a championship team. AWESOME!

Thomas Davis: prediction here but I believe we are about to find out that Miaz/Staph had our best LB playing DL.

The 08 class was overloaded. There were 16 kids ranked 3 stars or less. The prize recruits were Arthur Brown (couldn't get on the field) and Marcus Forston (injured a lot and not productive when healty) There was a handful of guys who were impact players but the sheer number of 4 star jags in that class is horrifying. I just went through the list and there's a bunch of guys I don't remember even being on the team.

The results of the 08 class were very poor considering. Nothing quite banked right with any of the players, especially at the top. Arthur Brown didn't play here (we now know we just had a bunch of buffoons here), but was an immediate starter at K-State and became an All-Conference, All-American player. Injuries and no sound position led to many of the top guys in the class just becoming guys at best.

The comparison to the '08 class is because that class was the #1 class in the country...and I think this class will be better off rip before we even see them on the field. For starters, the top end prospects that we are getting this year are not all LBs (if you look, of the Top 10 players per 247 in the '08 class SIX were or would become linebackers). The bottom of the class were poor evaluations as Randy - who had and still doesn't have much of a network of coaches - would reach out to former players who were coaching to get tips on guys to fill out the class. A lot of those 3-stars were former teammates/'Canes getting their guy to Coral Gables.

That is the only reason I mentioned the '08 class though...it was very highly rated.

Advertisement
The results of the 08 class were very poor considering. Nothing quite banked right with any of the players, especially at the top. Arthur Brown didn't play here (we now know we just had a bunch of buffoons here), but was an immediate starter at K-State and became an All-Conference, All-American player. Injuries and no sound position led to many of the top guys in the class just becoming guys at best.

The comparison to the '08 class is because that class was the #1 class in the country...and I think this class will be better off rip before we even see them on the field. For starters, the top end prospects that we are getting this year are not all LBs (if you look, of the Top 10 players per 247 in the '08 class SIX were or would become linebackers). The bottom of the class were poor evaluations as Randy - who had and still doesn't have much of a network of coaches - would reach out to former players who were coaching to get tips on guys to fill out the class. A lot of those 3-stars were former teammates/'Canes getting their guy to Coral Gables.

That is the only reason I mentioned the '08 class though...it was very highly rated.
Yeah, that was another thing I noticed. Half the 08 class played wide receiver or linebacker.

Randy signed 6 linebackers plus Marcus Robinson who was a 6' 210 lb defensive end.

He also signed 7 wide receivers. That's not counting guys who were recruited as "athletes"

3 quarterbacks (Jacory Harris, Cannon Smith and Taylor Cook)

2 friggin' fullbacks (Pat Hill and John Calhoun)

That's 19 out of the 31 players signed.

Does anybody know who CJ Holton, Benjamin Jones and Jeremy Lewis are? Because those guys were all 4 star players who, as far as I remember, never played here.

Advertisement
Yeah, that was another thing I noticed. Half the 08 class played wide receiver or linebacker.

Randy signed 6 linebackers plus Marcus Robinson who was a 6' 210 lb defensive end.

He also signed 7 wide receivers. That's not counting guys who were recruited as "athletes"

3 quarterbacks (Jacory Harris, Cannon Smith and Taylor Cook)

2 friggin' fullbacks (Pat Hill and John Calhoun)

That's 19 out of the 31 players signed.

Does anybody know who CJ Holton, Benjamin Jones and Jeremy Lewis are? Because those guys were all 4 star players who, as far as I remember, never played here.
Ben Jones and Jeremy Lewis played here. Jones never got better than a practice player and special teams OL (think late in his career he was on punt and kicks), but to be fair he was always a developmental tackle. Jeremy Lewis started as an interior DL, but was a scout team guy there. Switched over to OL late in his career and was a backup that played a lil.

CJ Holton (another eventual linebacker, btw) transferred after being just a special team player through his third year.

1. This is a national class and not only a state of miami class. Forget about taking players that FL wants but we are taking players that Bama, OSU, GA, and others want. This has not happened since we were kings
2. I hope to god that whatever happens in conference realignment BS we still get to traumatize FSU and hopefully FL for years to come. I guarantee you that FSU is praying that we don’t play them for years on end.
3. the bank is legit

He only comes around when things are bad for UM or good for FSU. Neither of those have been happening hence his disappearance. I suspect we will not be seeing much of bleakvern anytime soon.
When the **** was the last time they were good for FSU?

Advertisement
Back