The Bank (7/6)

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Recruiting is a momentum game. The commitment of Francis Mauigoa put the nation on notice that this is a new day at Miami. Recruits are taking note, as well. This is the post-Big 3 era, and elite kids want to play with other elite players. That energy is being felt at the Hecht. There is a lot of talent ready to jump on board.

- The priority right now is completing the best OL class in the nation. Several staffers believe Samson Okunlola (Brockton, MA) is the top overall prospect in the country. I agree with them. Miami sits in a strong position and will remain relentless. Olaus Alinen (Finland) is another OL target that Miami wants badly. He is feeling Miami’s momentum. Tommy Kinsler (Ocala) is ranked near the top of the board above several big names. He will likely be the next to pop. Monroe Freeling (Mt. Pleasant, SC) is another stud in the mix but I’d put him behind the others in terms of likelihood.

- Miami is sitting in very good position for three commitments this month. DE Jayden Wayne (Tacoma, WA) is announcing Saturday and I expect the Canes to be the pick. Safety Jayden Bonsu (Hillside, NJ) is announcing on July 20th and I like the Canes over Ohio State. LB Malik Bryant (Orlando) is announcing on July 23rd and the Canes are in pole position. @Maskoff407 has been all over that one.

- WR Andy Jean (Miami Northwestern) is another player I hear is trending to Miami. Notably, he has already used his official visits to Florida and Texas A&M. I would also slot in RB Chris Johnson, Jr. (Ft. Lauderdale Dillard).

- Miami is aware of its momentum and will continue to recruit guys hard even if they are currently trailing. RB Cedric Baxter (Orlando), DT Sydir Mitchell (Oradell, NJ) and CB Cormani McClain (Lakeland) fit into this category. Miami’s relentlessness will pay off in the end with a couple of these guys, especially if the team has success.

- Don’t sleep on DL David Hicks (Katy, TX), the #1 DL in the nation. A source pointed out to me that he’s visited three times in the past year and that those guys tend to commit. Miami will continue to pursue him extremely hard.

- I feel better about Bryant than the other major LB target, Raul “Popo” Aguirre (Fayetteville, GA). But Popo is trending in the right direction with the Canes. Part of the process is making the family comfortable with Coral Gables.

- I got better feedback today on S Joenel Aguero (Lynn, MA) than I did after his visit. Miami people are noticing his enthusiasm on social media. @1murhurricane has the pulse of that recruitment.

- Some very important people in Coral Gables love S Conrad Hussey (STA). Penn State did a good job identifying him early and that history will need to be overcome.

- The social media love doesn’t work for everyone, but some kids take notice of the fan base’s enthusiasm. More to the point, many athletes are being conscious of their brands and the monetization that comes with it. Okunlola and Jalen Brown are two extremely high-priority targets who fit the bill. Both would likely react well to social media campaigns showing the branding opportunities at Miami.

- The commitment of Antoine Jackson (Dillard ’24) could set off a chain of 2024 commitments. Keep an eye on CB Desmond Ricks, the #2 overall player in the country. He played on Miami Immortals with Jaden Rashada, Brown, Jean, Robby Washington and a Cane-friendly staff. He is also teammates at IMG with Mauigoa, Wayne and Riley Williams. Ricks is a major priority.

- As the great @Cribby has alluded to, Thomas Davis is being moved to LB. He played it briefly as a high school senior and did well, but moved back to DL after that unit fell apart. It is a good move. We need talent at LB and Brown can really run. Longer EDGE players like Nyjalik Kelly are taking his snaps anyway. Kelly is generating a ton of buzz in workouts- he is bigger than people think and is moving with outstanding bend and quickness.

Advertisement
Celebrate Dj Khaled GIF

- The commitment of Antoine Jackson (Dillard ’24) could set off a chain of 2024 commitments. Keep an eye on CB Desmond Ricks, the #2 overall player in the country. He played on Miami Immortals with Jaden Rashada, Brown, Jean, Robby Washington and a Cane friendly staff. He is also teammates at IMG with Mauigoa, Wayne and Riley Williams. He is a major priority.
Love so much of this entire post, but the fact that FSU mods were telling them earlier this spring that they led for this kid and he was going to commit is just… *chefs kiss*

Advertisement
Advertisement
Maybe I'm getting them confused with Tony Rojas but aren't the Aguirre's super familiar with Miami and the dad personally knows Mario and Mirabal?

If you're familiar with Miami then you know Coral Gables is the last place you need to worry about.

An OL class of Mauigoa, Okunlola, Alinen, Kinsler, Tripp, and Tinilau would be unfathomable. My brain can't even comprehend that. That would arguably be better than Texas' OL class last year and that was an insane haul.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
I feel better about Bryant than the other major LB target, Raul “Popo” Aguirre (Fayetteville, GA). But Popo is trending in the right direction with the Canes. Part of the process is making the family comfortable with Coral Gables.

Translation: we have to convince his mama. His pops grew up here so he knows Weh’che’teh and Gables pretty well.

Recruiting is a momentum game. The commitment of Francis Mauigoa put the nation on notice that this is a new day at Miami. Recruits are taking note, as well. This is the post-Big 3 era, and elite kids want to play with other elite players. That energy is being felt at the Hecht. There is a lot of talent ready to jump on board.

- The priority right now is completing the best OL class in the nation. Several staffers believe Samson Okunlola (Brockton, MA) is the top overall prospect in the country. I agree with them. Miami sits in a strong position and will remain relentless. Olaus Alinen (Finland) is another OL target that Miami wants badly. He is feeling Miami’s momentum. Tommy Kinsler (Ocala) is ranked near the top of the board above several big names. He will likely be the next to pop. Monroe Freeling (Mt. Pleasant, SC) is another stud but I’d put him behind the others in terms of likelihood.

- Miami is sitting in very good position for three commitments this month. DE Jayden Wayne (Tacoma, WA) is announcing Friday and I expect the Canes to be the pick. Safety Jayden Bonsu (Hillside, NJ) is announcing on July 20th and I like the Canes over Ohio State. LB Malik Bryant (Orlando) is announcing on July 23rd and the Canes are in pole position. @Maskoff407 has been all over that one.

- WR Andy Jean (Miami Northwestern) is another player I hear is trending to Miami. Notably, he has already used his official visits to Florida and Texas A&M. I would also slot in RB Chris Johnson, Jr. (Ft. Lauderdale Dillard).

- Miami is aware of its momentum and will continue to recruit guys hard even if they are currently trailing. RB Cedric Baxter (Orlando), DT Sydir Mitchell (Oradell, NJ) and CB Cormani McClain (Lakeland) fit into this category. Miami’s relentlessness will pay off in the end with a couple of these guys, especially if the team has success.

- Don’t sleep on DL David Hicks (Katy, TX), the #1 DL in the nation. A source pointed out to me that he’s visited three times in the past year and that those guys tend to commit. Miami will continue to pursue him extremely hard.

- I feel better about Bryant than the other major LB target, Raul “Popo” Aguirre (Fayetteville, GA). But Popo is trending in the right direction with the Canes. Part of the process is making the family comfortable with Coral Gables.

- I got better feedback today on S Joenel Aguero (Lynn, MA) than I did after his visit. Miami people are noticing his enthusiasm on social media. @1murhurricane has the pulse of that recruitment.

- Some very important people in Coral Gables love S Conrad Hussey (STA). Penn State did a good job identifying him early and that history will need to be overcome.

- The social media love doesn’t work for everyone, but some kids take notice of the fan base’s enthusiasm. More to the point, many athletes are being conscious of their brands and the monetization that comes with it. Okunlola and Jalen Brown are two extremely high-priority targets who fit the bill. Both would likely react well to social media campaigns showing the branding opportunities at Miami.

- The commitment of Antoine Jackson (Dillard ’24) could set off a chain of 2024 commitments. Keep an eye on CB Desmond Ricks, the #2 overall player in the country. He played on Miami Immortals with Jaden Rashada, Brown, Jean, Robby Washington and a Cane-friendly staff. He is also teammates at IMG with Mauigoa, Wayne and Riley Williams. Ricks is a major priority.

- As the great @Cribby has alluded to, Thomas Davis is being moved to LB. He played it briefly as a high school senior and did well, but moved back to DL after that unit fell apart. It is a good move. We need talent at LB and Brown can really run. Longer EDGE players like Nyjalik Kelly are taking his snaps anyway. Kelly is generating a ton of buzz in workouts- he is bigger than people think and is moving with outstanding bend and quickness.

Fantastic stuff, @DMoney , great to meet you a few weeks back.

The only question I have is on Popo, I've heard we are in great shape here. Also, isn't his fam from SoFla? Are you saying the family needs to get comfortable with Coral Gables, the city, or Coral Gables, the coaching/support staff?

Thank you for all you do, sir!

Advertisement
Back