The Bank (7/27)

View as article
Advertisement
Advertisement
Jaden Harris has always intrigued me I wondered why he wasn’t more coveted

Could be a nice steal there
Late bloomer.

Didn’t play CB until his Senior year & didn’t start getting the majority of his P5 offers until September/October of his Senior season. He was actually a Basketball kid that was primarily a WR, RB & KR/PR until he converted to Defense, we offered him in November & he signed with us in December.

But I said it from the moment we offered him https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/2022-cb-jaden-harris-receives-offer-commit.173038/

Then back before Spring Camp when I saw how he looked when he came to visit campus I legit thought he was an EE because he was down in Miami at least every other week checking in with the new staff. Then I heard directly from Terry that he’s a dedicated & hungry kid, he’s absolutely bought in to being as good player as he can be.

In the Spring he was working out, studying film, studying the playbook & running drills every day. He even had the coaches sending him film of the Spring practices to watch the Defense & learn everything the CB group was doing & learning the play calls & assignments. Even when he wasn’t on campus he was training like a kid who is.

It’s why I’ve been saying he’s the kid who will likely get PT as a TF among the CB group more so than anybody, because his natural sub 4.4 speed with good ball skills & is motivated kid eager to earn his spot, unless the upperclassmen are fixed in their position & it’s not really an open comp, but if all things are equal he’s a kid that (barring injury) will find his way on the field as more than just a Special Teams gunner.

That kind of speed & natural traits shouldn’t be sitting on the bench, he’s already right now the fastest CB on the team & that’s significant in my book because most of our Corners are fairly slow Boundary guys lol

Hopefully he gets acclimated to the system & gets some real playing time.

I'll take the Horton to Richards comparison but aren't they 2 different types of WR? Richards was explosive as ****, wasn't the knock on Horton was lack of speed? Or were the comparisons more about having an impact as a freshman?

John C Reilly Seriously GIF

Jaden Harris has always intrigued me I wondered why he wasn’t more coveted

Could be a nice steal there
I think its Liberty City that has been on him since the before the offer I believe. He got me to watch his film and dude is an impressive ball of clay of size and athleticism. Can't wait to see how he looks after working with some real coaches

Advertisement
I think its Liberty City that has been on him since the before the offer I believe. He got me to watch his film and dude is an impressive ball of clay of size and athleticism. Can't wait to see how he looks after working with some real coaches
You could be correct. I remember seeing his size and being from GA is always intriguing

And I’m far from a guru but I was watching his film and I’m like “ummm am I missing something?”

Anyway not to get ahead of myself but it’s just good to see it start to get backed up this early

Late bloomer.

Didn’t play CB until his Senior year & didn’t start getting the majority of his P5 offers until September/October of his Senior season. He was actually a Basketball kid that was primarily a WR, RB & KR/PR until he converted to Defense, we offered him in November & he signed with us in December.

But I said it from the moment we offered him https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/2022-cb-jaden-harris-receives-offer-commit.173038/

Then back before Spring Camp when I saw how he looked when he came to visit campus I legit thought he was an EE because he was down in Miami at least every other week checking in with the new staff. Then I heard directly from Terry that he’s a dedicated & hungry kid, he’s absolutely bought in to being as good player as he can be.

In the Spring he was working out, studying film, studying the playbook & running drills every day. He even had the coaches sending him film of the Spring practices to watch the Defense & learn everything the CB group was doing & learning the play calls & assignments. Even when he wasn’t on campus he was training like a kid who is.

It’s why I’ve been saying he’s the kid who will likely get PT as a TF among the CB group more so than anybody, because his natural sub 4.4 speed with good ball skills & is motivated kid eager to earn his spot, unless the upperclassmen are fixed in their position & it’s not really an open comp, but if all things are equal he’s a kid that (barring injury) will find his way on the field as more than just a Special Teams gunner.

That kind of speed & natural traits shouldn’t be sitting on the bench, he’s already right now the fastest CB on the team & that’s significant in my book because most of our Corners are fairly slow Boundary guys lol

Hopefully he gets acclimated to the system & gets some real playing time.
My man thank you for this! Beautiful

Advertisement
- Malik Bryant gives Miami a much-needed alpha dog in the Front 7. He put up big numbers as a freshman at the Orlando public school level and was a highly productive leader for IMG the past two years. He's been locked in on Miami for weeks. As we reported, he moved his commitment ceremony for logistical reasons. Despite reports, the Gators never had a chance and were flailing.

- Miami is continuing to trend in the right direction for DB Jayden Bonsu (Hillside, NJ). It's not a done deal, but he wants to be a Cane and is coveted. This could be resolved sooner than later.

- I continue to expect OL Tommy Kinsler (Ocala) to pick Miami tomorrow. Even after he moved the commitment date back, he's been locked in with the Canes and was never at risk of losing his offer. The staff is extremely high on him.

- We've made a run at DT John Walker (Osceola) and he is a huge priority, but my money would be on UCF.

- Last week, I said the two remaining WR spots would likely go to some combination of Hykeem Williams (Stranahan), Andy Jean (Northwestern) and William Fowles (Avant Garde). But we are making a strong run at Jurrion ****ey (Oakland, CA). He is visiting this weekend and we believe he's an elite talent. This is not necessarily an imminent flip situation, but you can’t catch the fish if the line isn’t in the water.

- The conversations continue with Hykeem Williams, but that is a battle that could stretch for a while. We're constantly reminding him and his circle that he's a very high priority.

- William Fowles has some major fans in the building. At least one coach saw him live and thought he looked better than some more famous, Top 50 kids. I think the last step for him getting into the class may be an on-campus workout in front of the full staff, as we saw with Andy Jean.

- Speaking of Jean, he skyrocketed to high-priority status when he worked out on campus. He wasn’t always a national recruit and is experiencing certain things in the process for the first time. Based on my conversations with people around Jean, this is a tougher battle than it's been in the past but the Canes are still firmly in play. We're recruiting him extremely hard and are trying to get him back on campus as soon as possible.

- We kept OL Payton Kirkland (Orlando) warm, but ultimately he did not have enough fans in the building and was not a take. We're continuing to aggressively pursue other targets and there could be a potential surprise on OL.

- OL Frankie Tinilau (LaSalle) is up and running here in Miami after some green card issues. A non-Miami source spent some time with him and said he was absolutely massive with very little bad weight. He's receiving strong West Coast interest but appears solid to Miami.

- S Joenel Aguero’s choice of Georgia did not surprise my sources, who never felt great about him. The staff have been monitoring safeties and are zeroing in on Penn State commit Conrad Hussey (STA) and Clemson commit Kylen Webb (Sarasota). One source compared Hussey to a smaller Jordan Battle with his ability to convert turnovers into touchdowns. The word that kept coming up was “dynamic.” This makes sense, as Hussey was a youth star at RB. STA sources believe Hussey will be very receptive to Miami’s interest. Coach Cristobal is a huge fan of his game.

- OL Samson Okunlola (Brockton, MA) remains at the top of the board. His recruitment is strange- folks involved think he is just as likely to commit tomorrow as he is to wait until NSD. Nobody really knows. But everybody agrees that Miami sits in a very strong position as the leader.

- Camp will tell us who can really play, and CanesInSight will be giving you the exclusive scoop on practice like we do every year. But I wanted to highlight some guys who have made an impression in workouts.

- RB TreVonte’ Citizen remains in line for early playing time. It would not surprise me at all if he’s starting at one point of the season. A team source said he is “an amazing kid, smart as sh*t” and brings toughness to the team. It goes without saying that he's built like an NFL RB and has big-time athletic ability. He may also factor on special teams.

- Several other freshmen have made an impression. The name that keeps coming up is WR Isaiah Horton. The words I’ve heard are “special” and “shades of Ahmonn Richards.” He's a worker from a military family, and is deceptively fast with ball skills. Of course, catching the ball in pads during camp will be a different test. DE Nyjalik Kelly was well on his way to 250 before some health issues, and some expect him to crack the rotation before the end of the year. CB Jaden Harris has drawn raves for his size (a rocked-up 195), movement skills and mature demeanor.

- Of the returning players, CB TeCory Couch was singled out due to his consistency and his weight gain.

- To quote a source, we have a “very good problem” at DT after hitting the transfer market. Expect some of the more athletic DTs to get opportunities at DE behind the top 3 of Mitchell Agude, Jahfari Harvey and Chantz Williams. Candidates to play inside/outside include Akheem Mesidor, Elijah Roberts and even Jared Harrison-Hunte. A team source said Mesidor could have been the “steal of the offseason” due to his versatility and ability to impact the QB. That’s an area we lacked last year, but the internal belief is that we’ve made huge strides. JHH was described as the best athlete and twitchiest of the DL.

- Some other names that were singled out to me from workouts: Antonio Moultrie, Wesley Bissainthe and Kam Kinchens.

Great stuff as always. I did not expect Agude, Harvey and Williams as the Top 3. Expected Harvey + Mesidor to separate themselves. Nice to see DE turn back into a position of strength. And it is music to my ears that DT is coming together. All three levels should take major steps from last season.

I'm happy for Horton. But I wish we were hearing some other names in the WR group. Fall camp can't get here fast enough for those guys and the RBs.

Any news on the health and readiness of the OL? Zion was banged up in a picture that circulated a few weeks ago. Is he okay? Are Rviers and Campbell ready to go?

Advertisement
Awesome stuff D$

Are we done at LB or still trying to add Staquan Clark?

Is Baxter at RB a pipe dream or are we still in it?

Who at CB are we after besides Cormani?

Advertisement
Back