The Bank (7/19)

View as article
Advertisement
giphy.webp

Also was Ionata, sneakily one of the biggest losses so far on the trail? Sounds like the staff loved him and saw him as the C of the future

To lose Connor Lew last year and Ionata this year, is a blow to the C position for years to come
could be, we also could find another lee in the portal to bridge the gap next year.

Advertisement
Miami is hot right now after landing commitments from WR JoJo Trader (Chaminade) and DT Artavius Jones (Blountstown). They are pushing to continue the momentum into camp:

- The name of the hour is CB Jaylen Heyward (Rockledge). Here is the absolute latest on the situation: Miami is doing their due diligence, and this will likely move fast one way or the other in the next couple days. Miami is high on Heyward and will do what's best for the University.

- I continue to really like where Miami sits with DT Kamarion Franklin (Memphis) and S Zaquan Patterson (Chaminade). I'd put us firmly in the lead for both.

- This is a general statement and not tied to any particular prospect. In the past, when a prospect leaning your way took visits, it was seen as a sign that his interest wasn't as high as hoped. These days, it can be as much about increasing value and following the advice of third-parties. Miami is in a very healthy position with multiple top prospects and has strong relationships. We also have one of the most competitive NIL programs in the country. The key is having the timing of the prospect match the timing of the school, and that is not always easy to predict. We saw that come to fruition last week with Trader and Jones.

- I've gotten a lot of questions about WR Lawayne McCoy (Central). Nothing is imminent there. We like him and would take him in a heartbeat if he wanted to flip. He hasn't decommitted yet. If he does, I believe Miami would be in a very strong position.

- OL Eddy Pierre-Louis (Tampa) is showing renewed interest in the program. Contrary to some speculation, this is not a situation where Miami is circling back after losing some centers. Pierre-Louis has always been sky-high on Miami's board and the original plan was to play him at guard next to C Joe Ionata, who committed to Alabama. Miami would love to get traction with Pierre-Louis and feel he could play either C or OG.

- Miami is in a strong place with OL Isendre Ahfua (Seattle) and I would say we are in the lead there. Miami's best selling point (similar to Maugoia last year) is the relationship between Ahfua and Miami's coaches.

- LB Chris Cole (Salem, VA) and DT Aydin Breeland (LA) continue to show a lot of interest in Miami. Of the two, I feel better with Cole, but Miami is strongly in the game with both.

- At this point, Miami's priority board is pretty well-publicized and they are not moving to backup plans. They are working these guys hard, including some committed to other schools. However, Miami continues to evaluate South Florida to determine if there are any players who should be on the priority board.

- Miami remains in a battle for DE Dylan Stewart (DC). The sense is there is a lot of action left in that one and that the Ohio State crystal balls are very premature.

- The Gators started rumors that Artavius Jones has grade problems. We have no concerns. Also, he is not 280 pounds. I was told we have him at 310. The expectation is that he and '23 signee Josh Horton will be high NFL draft picks in a couple years.

- I reported in the Bank a few months ago that some were excited about WR Robbie Washington's potential at corner. Andrew Ivins at 247 recently reported that Washington was flirting with a move. My understanding after speaking with sources is that Washington is still focused on playing offense for now. However, many people (myself included) believe he would be very wise to make that switch. He also has huge upside at WR so nobody is forcing him in either direction, but this is something to keep an eye on.

- I continue to receive rave reviews about RB Chris Wheatley-Humphrey's performance at camp. They view him as a difference-maker in a spread offense, but CB is a possibility if it falls that way. This is my personal speculation, but I wonder if the recent cold RB market in the NFL is influencing guys to consider defense.

- Miami remains in hot pursuit of the top two WRs in the nation, Jeremiah Smith (Chaminade) and Ryan Wingo (St. Louis). Smith obviously has strong relationships with former and current teammates on Miami's commit list, and Wingo has a relationship with fellow Midwesterner (and recent Miami commit) DE Marquise Lightfoot (Chicago). While Miami continues to work hard to get elite players in the boat before the season, they strongly believe there will be another recruiting season later in the year once Miami has success on the field. And they remain confident that this is a much-improved team. If Miami makes an offensive leap similar to what we saw from '19 to '20, I predict we land at least one of these guys.
What a bank. We cooking bruh

Advertisement
This is my personal speculation, but I wonder if the recent cold RB market in the NFL is influencing guys to consider defense.
It hasnt started YET, but I am sure the fact that even elite backs are starting to not even get 2nd contracts will start the awareness. The writing was on the wall when the whole rb by committee started, but rb from optimist to high school is still a glamour position that its hard to explain to kids..

Miami is hot right now after landing commitments from WR JoJo Trader (Chaminade) and DT Artavius Jones (Blountstown). They are pushing to continue the momentum into camp:

- The name of the hour is CB Jaylen Heyward (Rockledge). Here is the absolute latest on the situation: Miami is doing their due diligence, and this will likely move fast one way or the other in the next couple days. Miami is high on Heyward and will do what's best for the University.

- I continue to really like where Miami sits with DT Kamarion Franklin (Memphis) and S Zaquan Patterson (Chaminade). I'd put us firmly in the lead for both.

- This is a general statement and not tied to any particular prospect. In the past, when a prospect leaning your way took visits, it was seen as a sign that his interest wasn't as high as hoped. These days, it can be as much about increasing value and following the advice of third-parties. Miami is in a very healthy position with multiple top prospects and has strong relationships. We also have one of the most competitive NIL programs in the country. The key is having the timing of the prospect match the timing of the school, and that is not always easy to predict. We saw that come to fruition last week with Trader and Jones.

- I've gotten a lot of questions about WR Lawayne McCoy (Central). Nothing is imminent there. We like him and would take him in a heartbeat if he wanted to flip. He hasn't decommitted yet. If he does, I believe Miami would be in a very strong position.

- OL Eddy Pierre-Louis (Tampa) is showing renewed interest in the program. Contrary to some speculation, this is not a situation where Miami is circling back after losing some centers. Pierre-Louis has always been sky-high on Miami's board and the original plan was to play him at guard next to C Joe Ionata, who committed to Alabama. Miami would love to get traction with Pierre-Louis and feel he could play either C or OG.

- Miami is in a strong place with OL Isendre Ahfua (Seattle) and I would say we are in the lead there. Miami's best selling point (similar to Maugoia last year) is the relationship between Ahfua and Miami's coaches.

- LB Chris Cole (Salem, VA) and DT Aydin Breeland (LA) continue to show a lot of interest in Miami. Of the two, I feel better with Cole, but Miami is strongly in the game with both.

- At this point, Miami's priority board is pretty well-publicized and they are not moving to backup plans. They are working these guys hard, including some committed to other schools. However, Miami continues to evaluate South Florida to determine if there are any players who should be on the priority board.

- Miami remains in a battle for DE Dylan Stewart (DC). The sense is there is a lot of action left in that one and that the Ohio State crystal balls are very premature.

- The Gators started rumors that Artavius Jones has grade problems. We have no concerns. Also, he is not 280 pounds. I was told we have him at 310. The expectation is that he and '23 signee Josh Horton will be high NFL draft picks in a couple years.

- I reported in the Bank a few months ago that some were excited about WR Robbie Washington's potential at corner. Andrew Ivins at 247 recently reported that Washington was flirting with a move. My understanding after speaking with sources is that Washington is still focused on playing offense for now. However, many people (myself included) believe he would be very wise to make that switch. He also has huge upside at WR so nobody is forcing him in either direction, but this is something to keep an eye on.

- I continue to receive rave reviews about RB Chris Wheatley-Humphrey's performance at camp. They view him as a difference-maker in a spread offense, but CB is a possibility if it falls that way. This is my personal speculation, but I wonder if the recent cold RB market in the NFL is influencing guys to consider defense.

- Miami remains in hot pursuit of the top two WRs in the nation, Jeremiah Smith (Chaminade) and Ryan Wingo (St. Louis). Smith obviously has strong relationships with former and current teammates on Miami's commit list, and Wingo has a relationship with fellow Midwesterner (and recent Miami commit) DE Marquise Lightfoot (Chicago). While Miami continues to work hard to get elite players in the boat before the season, they strongly believe there will be another recruiting season later in the year once Miami has success on the field. And they remain confident that this is a much-improved team. If Miami makes an offensive leap similar to what we saw from '19 to '20, I predict we land at least one of these guys.
Big time update, this is why we pay thousands every year for this site.

Just the names we lead for alone in that update would make this another top 10 class. If we can land a couple of the elite guys like Smith/Stewart/Breland/Wingo etc., we may ultimately end up top 5

Advertisement
It hasnt started YET, but I am sure the fact that even elite backs are starting to not even get 2nd contracts will start the awareness. The writing was on the wall when the whole rb by committee started, but rb from optimist to high school is still a glamour position that its hard to explain to kids..
Yeah I’m sure this is part of the conversations college coaches are having with kids while they’re mapping out their future plans

Like if Barkley can’t get a contract…

Any updates on cornerbacks outside of the rockledge kid? There have to be some guys down here at the position that we are looking at.

Every recruiting site I've seen has Heyward as a Safety? Does he project as a CB? Is that what Miami is recruiting him as?

Advertisement
For those scoring at home, adding the 3 kids D says we lead for (Franklin, Patterson, Ahfua) gets the class to 264.62 points, which would be good for the current 5th ranked class .

If you add just a couple other kids who we're thinking are possible, let's go with just Cole out of the Cole/Breland group, let's go with just McCoy out of the McCoy/Heyward group, and let's go with Pierre-Louis (so this means no Breland, no Heyward, no Jeremiah Smith, no Wingo, no Stewart, no Stone, no Simmons)...the score goes to 278.57.

278 is easily a Top 10 class and possibly higher, depending obviously on the other teams and what they do. It would have been 9th last year. And that's still assuming there are a **** of a lot of whiffs, which just might not be the case.

Moral of the story......let the man cook.

For those scoring at home, adding the 3 kids D says we lead for (Franklin, Patterson, Ahfua) gets the class to 264.62 points, which would be good for the current 5th ranked class .

If you add just a couple other kids who we're thinking are possible, let's go with just Cole out of the Cole/Breland group, let's go with just McCoy out of the McCoy/Heyward group, and let's go with Pierre-Louis (so this means no Breland, no Heyward, no Jeremiah Smith, no Wingo, no Stewart, no Stone, no Simmons)...the score goes to 278.57.

278 is easily a Top 10 class and possibly higher, depending obviously on the other teams and what they do. It would have been 9th last year. And that's still assuming there are a **** of a lot of whiffs, which just might not be the case.

Moral of the story......let the man cook.

james corden will my boner ever go away GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Advertisement
Back