The Bank (4/3)

You should rewatch the GT game again. Lost in how bad the offense was, is the performance of the defense on critical downs in the second half of the game.

I’m also not a believer or expecting 10-wins this year. Miami has NEVER physically dominated the ACC (I have my own theories on how the games are officiated to start) and I don’t expect that to change this year.

I still think the third year on the field for the 2023 class will be when Miami start the climb to the top.
Anything less than 10 wins with this schedule is a failure. It’s year 3. No more excuses.

Advertisement
I wouldn’t look into it like that. Miami views these situations a lot like a salary cap.

My belief is one of the experienced (returning) DEs believes he’s underpaid OR Miami realizes they’re overpaying for his talents, so what do they do? Go find someone on a one year deal who understands what their role will be, save money in the process and potentially get more production than what they’re currently paying for.
If the argument is that we have so much talent and depth at DE that we’re willing to let a talented high paid guy walk while bringing in Height for free/cheap to save “cap space” and allocate it to other dire positions like CB, S and RB then I’m with you. But so far the only reasoning I hear for bringing him in is that we had so many injuries last year with no depth and eventually had to run a 3-3-5.

Meanwhile, we’re simultaneously arguing that this DE room is better because of Depth than one that had 3 draft picks over 2 seasons with two of those being 1st rounders. To me it doesn’t compute. It has the potential to be but right now that’s all projections.

Hindsight is 20/20 but most people liked the depth in 2020. Manny could not have forecasted Greg sitting out the season.
Yep

I am a big fan of what I’ve seen from Guidry and how he’s used his DL throughout his career. Hopefully he sticks around to see it through

Still not sure how the numbers work out though im expecting some DL to leave that will be surprises

Advertisement
That's as a JR and having to "pause" for competitive lifting. I am almost certain his bench is in the 475 - 495 range by now.

*For those who have never competitive lifted, when you "pause" you bring the weight down to your chest and pause for a second stoping all momentum and then lifting it. A regular bench press the person is "bouncing" the weight off of his chest allowing the momentum to carry the weight. If he was to "bounce" the weight off of his chest he could easily add another 30 mounds to his max putting him around 455 as a JR in high school.

This kid is next level strong and with has crazy athleticism, I fully expect him to be the best DT in this class. He played 4 sports in high school and pretty much dominated at all of them.

1. Two way starter in football, played TE while being one of the top DT's in the nation
2. On his way to becoming a two time weightlifting state champion, making him one of if not the strongest high school kid in Florida
3. Starter on high school basketball team
4. Placed 4th in the state at discuss his first year every attempting the sport (This is directly linked to power and explosiveness)

Just watch the tape, the kid is running corner routs at 285 lol unreal. Looks a lot like Jalen Carter.
you must of copied my comp from b4 we offered him earlier lol

I wanted this dude more than Scott (nO dIDDY)

Kid is country strong and can move at his size....with s&c and technique we gonna have something with Jones. I compared him to a slightly less Jalen Carter from Apopka (uga) coming out as a high schooler.
During his recruitment it was insinuated that he had maxed out S&C. Can’t remember who I was debating it with but that’s lunacy

#1 on JHalls big board which admittedly is written in crayon

Advertisement
The problem with Manny’s DE/Edge groups (as it was with most groups here) is it was TOP HEAVY. It’s kind of similar to what FSUs roster looks like tbh

2019: Rousseau and Garvin, but behind them?
- Trevon Hill, Scott Patchan
- True freshman Williams, Harvey, Blissett.

2020: Phillips and Roche, but behind them?
- Cam Williams, Blissett, Eli Roberts
- True freshman Quentin Williams, Chantz

Now compare it,
2024: Mesidor and Bain, but behind them?
- Alston, Wayne, Kelly, Bryant
- True freshman Lightfoot, McConathy, Pickett, Blount, Rudolph

Manny Diaz solely put 2 of the better de's/edges in the nfl currently as young guys and they were solely his evals. One was quitting football altogether...and the other was a wr/safety when manny initially recruited him

Its the one thing he did right so i would never crack on him when it comes to de/edge recruitment.

True, Manny could not have known about Greg sitting out. What he could have done is build sufficient depth to help soften the blow of something like that happening or injury (far more likely). Proper roster management includes contingencies for worst case scenarios, but you have to play chess not checkers for that to happen. Guess what game Lispy was playin.
You do realize Jaelan Phillips was the contingency plan right?. I think he was ok here.

You do realize Jaelan Phillips was the contingency plan right?. I think he was ok here.
yeah we found lost money with him ... shoutout to him for sticking to the process as he redshirted a year to get his body right ... still wonder how that defense would look with phillips on one side and rousseau on the other

Advertisement
yeah we found lost money with him ... shoutout to him for sticking to the process as he redshirted a year to get his body right ... still wonder how that defense would look with phillips on one side and rousseau on the other
Me too.

Manny Diaz solely put 2 of the better de's/edges in the nfl currently as young guys and they were solely his evals. One was quitting football altogether...and the other was a wr/safety when manny initially recruited him

Its the one thing he did right so i would never crack on him when it comes to de/edge recruitment.
Hit big on Jaelan and Greg, no doubt about it. Wasn’t knocking him for those two, but there’s still criticism and fairly deserved. By his 6th(!!) year in control of UMs defense he had Zach McCloud & DeAndre Johnson starting at DE… let’s keep it a buck, it was dreadful.

Advertisement
If the argument is that we have so much talent and depth at DE that we’re willing to let a talented high paid guy walk while bringing in Height for free/cheap to save “cap space” and allocate it to other dire positions like CB, S and RB then I’m with you. But so far the only reasoning I hear for bringing him in is that we had so many injuries last year with no depth and eventually had to run a 3-3-5.

Meanwhile, we’re simultaneously arguing that this DE room is better because of Depth than one that had 3 draft picks over 2 seasons with two of those being 1st rounders. To me it doesn’t compute. It has the potential to be but right now that’s all projections.
Disbursement elsewhere is exactly what I expect. Miami had 3 DEs drafted in 2 years, but they also never played together, so in one season we had 1 NFL DE & the next season we had 2 NFL DEs.

Obviously we have to let it play out, but I can almost guarantee you there’s 4 or more NFL DEs on 2024 roster. Which would be double what Manny had at any time in a singular year.

Better than Rousseau, Phillips & Roche?
As college players it's up for discussion. Bain can be more dominant than all combined 3 by the end of his college career.
Rousseau skipped a year, Phillips medically retired - so he also had major medical issues like people are saying Mesidor has. Basically each of those 3 only contributed here a year each, and they weren't the same year.

TBD how our current group translates to the NFL draft. I feel confident in Bain being a potential 1st. The rest are up in the air. But also our current group would include quite a few top freshman talents...

Regardless I don't think Romello Height is changing that math lol. I just don't think a guy that is going into his 5th season and has like 6 more tackles and the same amount of sacks as Kelly should be treated like some clearly more productive or reliable player.

As college players it's up for discussion. Bain can be more dominant than all combined 3 by the end of his college career.
Rousseau skipped a year, Phillips medically retired - so he also had major medical issues like people are saying Mesidor has. Basically each of those 3 only contributed here a year each, and they weren't the same year.

TBD how our current group translates to the NFL draft. I feel confident in Bain being a potential 1st. The rest are up in the air. But also our current group would include quite a few top freshman talents...

Regardless I don't think Romello Height is changing that math lol. I just don't think a guy that is going into his 5th season and has like 6 more tackles and the same amount of sacks as Kelly should be treated like some clearly more productive or reliable player.
I hope I’m dead wrong but Height is JAG. I expect some news this weekend with this.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back