The Bank (2/17) (team)

View as article
Spring practice is two weeks away, but Miami is hard at work with the 2024 team and the Class of 2025. I posted some news on recruiting here. Some quick hitters on off-season workouts for the weekend:

- The staff doesn't think there are any lemons in the class athletically, based on early returns. Here are several names that they can't wait to see in pads: Cole McConathy, Cam Pruitt, Marquise Lightfoot, Zaquan Patterson, JoJo Trader and Ny Carr. I'm told Trader and Carr are already two of the top athletes at WR. Elija Lofton is also a guy who is turning heads with his football instincts, weight-room exploits and mentality. "He's an animal."

- Elijah Arroyo is already developing chemistry with Cam Ward. NFL prospect if he stays healthy. Ward is what everybody expected so far.

- There are going to be a lot of new faces competing at running back. Chris Johnson, Jr. is going to have a huge opportunity this spring due to injuries. Everybody is excited to see what he can do. "We need to get the ball in his hands." There are also high expectations for Jordan Lyle to compete immediately when he arrives this summer. Chris Wheatley-Humphrey has people believing he will be a good player in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if we add a portal kid here.

- DT transfers CJ Clark and Marley Cook are impressing with their work ethics. They put in extra time and compete with motors.

- There have been some questions on Chase Smith. I'm told he is full go.

- C Nino Francavilla is fitting in physically. I’m told he is one of our stronger players in the weight room and is moving around well. Looking forward to seeing him play football.
Citizen. Anything?

Advertisement
Citizen. Anything?
A Deadly Adoption Applause GIF

Arroyo in the running for Greentree All American. Same song every off season so far with him. Your best ability is availability- I have 0 expectations for him, he’s going to need to prove it on Saturday’s in the fall. I would love for us to pick up a small school 3 down TE in the portal that can come in and compete in that room.

Honestly not surprising to me for a couple reason. One is injury of course, at least for spring. Also I still don't think we have a true gamebreaker at RB yet. I think all the guys on our roster are very good backs who can get the job done, we just don't have the kind of RB that makes opposing DCs scheme around him.

I had strong belief in pre-injury Citizen and look forward to seeing Jordan Lyle compete.

That is my concern as well. Last season he seemed very mechanical in the way he used players. There was no effort to get speed on the field. He didn't know how.

guys have to earn PT in practice; I'm sure Dawson goes with who they can trust.

Better talent, depth and competition on Greentree will produce a better a product on Saturdays.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Honestly not surprising to me for a couple reason. One is injury of course, at least for spring. Also I still don't think we have a true gamebreaker at RB yet. I think all the guys on our roster are very good backs who can get the job done, we just don't have the kind of RB that makes opposing DCs scheme around him.

Chris Johnson Jr is electric. Has world class speed. Simply needs carries and he will show you what he can do. Glad he’ll get a chance to shine in Spring ball.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Kid is a natural football player, just has it. He will find his way on the field on way or the other, cream always rises.

I'll say this again, he reminds of D. Flowers from the 2017 Oklahoma Sooners squad that had Baker Mayfield. He was there Swiss Army Knife on offense. Lined up all over, and made plays. We need to get creative with Lofton and create situations where he gets the ball...

Advertisement
Back