The Bank (12/10)

I grew up in Ann Arbor, MI and since the 1980’s we knew which players were being paid on the basketball and football teams. It was always the stars but they were always taken care of.
That anyone ever doubted the fact of 18 year olds receiving money to play college sports is out of their mind. Or how impactful it is, especially to young people who come from not having much.
My wife's nephew is a starter on Michigan's ball team. I've never asked, but I'm confident he ain't hurting for nothing.

Advertisement
This is going way back but Emmit Smith was buried on depth chart at UF until a bunch of guys got hurt and they were forced to play him.

Hang on a second. While this may technically be true, some context must be provided.

Emmitt was "buried on the depth chart" for the FIRST GAME of his true freshman year (against Miami), which is not such a crazy concept. Also, for right or wrong, he was NOT rated as a "can't-miss" type of a recruit.

And let's not forget, the FIRST game of that 1987 was the 31-4 loss to Miami in the Orange Bowl (I was there), I'm really not sure if Emmitt would have changed the outcome of that game.

In his SECOND game (against Tulsa in Hogtown), he went over 100 yards.

And in his THIRD game (against 11th-ranked Alabama in Birmingham), Emmitt was the starter and broke the 57-year-old single-game rushing record when he went for 224 yards.

He then became the fastest Gator ever to reach 1,000 yards, even though he didn't play in Game 1.

So Emmitt quickly established himself as a dominant running back at Florida.

I remember that 1987 year (my sophomore year) because UiF won 5 out of 6 after losing to us, and it looked like we would have a great quality win in the season opener, but then The Gator lost 4 out of 5 to close the season.

And this is hilarious:

Recruiting expert Max Emfinger didn't list Smith among the top 50 high school running backs in his high school class and opined that, "Emmitt Smith is a lugger, not a runner. He's not fast. He can't get around the corner. When he falls flat on his face, remember where you heard it first."

Last edited:
Hang on a second. While this may technically be true, some context must be provided.

Emmitt was "buried on the depth chart" for the FIRST GAME of his true freshman year (against Miami), which is not such a crazy concept. Also, for right or wrong, he was NOT rated as a "can't-miss" type of a recruit.

And let's not forget, the FIRST game of that 1987 was the 31-4 loss to Miami in the Orange Bowl (I was there), I'm really not sure if Emmitt would have changed the outcome of that game.

In his SECOND game (against Tulsa in Hogtown), he went over 100 yards.

And in his THIRD game (against 11th-ranked Alabama in Birmingham), Emmitt was the starter and broke the 57-year-old single-game rushing record when he went for 224 yards.

He then became the fastest Gator ever to reach 1,000 yards, even though he didn't play in Game 1.

So Emmitt quickly established himself as a dominant running back at Florida.

I remember that 1987 year (my sophomore year) because UiF won 5 out of 6 after losing to us, and it looked like we would have a great quality win in the season opener, but then The Gator lost 4 out of 5 to close the season.

And this is hilarious:

Recruiting expert Max Emfinger didn't list Smith among the top 50 high school running backs in his high school class and opined that, "Emmitt Smith is a lugger, not a runner. He's not fast. He can't get around the corner. When he falls flat on his face, remember where you heard it first."
I should have clarified, I knew a GA on the staff back then and they claimed throughout camp he was like 4th string and there wasn't an impetus to even play him until some injuries cropped up. TIFWIW.

I should have clarified, I knew a GA on the staff back then and they claimed throughout camp he was like 4th string and there wasn't an impetus to even play him until some injuries cropped up. TIFWIW.

Ah, got it. Yeah, I was just questioning things, based on my memories of that year. When Emmitt started on his amazing tear, a lot of us at Miami were like "yeah, I'm glad he's just a freshman and didn't do that against Miami".

But, I can definitely see the situation unfolding like you described. For a while, Florida had a great line of running backs, and when I went back to look up the 1987 roster, the ONLY name I even had a vague memory of was Wayne Williams. All the rest of the RBs on that roster that year were JAGs.

Advertisement
rick ross soda GIF by NOISEY
This ninja is a fraud and can’t be trusted.

Attachments

• IMG_3173.png
    IMG_3173.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Looks like his mom posted on Twitter that Zach Carpenter is visiting Miami on Friday and a decision is going to be announced on Sunday. Previously officially visited UNC and Maryland.

@CarrieCarpent75 is her handle
A pretty solid Cincinnati boy. I'll gladly welcome him to the family. A starter in the B10, we could definitely do worse.

Looks like his mom posted on Twitter that Zach Carpenter is visiting Miami on Friday and a decision is going to be announced on Sunday. Previously officially visited UNC and Maryland.

Oh boy, the reactions when people see her pic...

Last visit is great, gives Mario a chance to close. However:

He's a guard. A good one.

Advertisement
Advertisement

I don't follow a lot of other schools. How good is this dude? Another matt lee or close?

Advertisement

Thanks for linking. Couldn’t get it on my iPad.

Originally signed with Michigan and transferred to Indiana to get more PT.

Michigan under Harbaugh and Sherron Moore have built some nasty OL.

Bob Bostad his coach at Indiana is a great coach/developer. Having coached at Wisconsin for years and the NFL. He got him to IU and coverted him G to C.

Under M & M, I think Carpenter could quickly develop into a top 5 Center. While he won’t have Lee’s polish at pass blocking at least not initially. I think he will be more stout in the running game given his size.

Advertisement
Back