The Bank (11/1)

View as article
Advertisement
I’m really excited about the secondary recruiting cause it’s not been good in the past, last year class was very promising so glad we are adding on to it. Really happy with the Linebackers coming also want the interior offensive linemen to get better.

The way I'm reconciling this class in my mind is that the methods our staff are using are completely different methods from prior staffs. Previously, months and months before signing day the recruiting services will be saying "Miami Remains Hot on the Trail". We load up with verbals - and when things go downhill on the field, all the verbals jump like rats off a sinking ship. This current staff is focusing on closing at the end of the cycle. The next month and a half is gonna be very fun to watch.
Yeah i said it in the summer, we are actually more dangerous in season, why? Alot of coaches cant wait for the games to start so they can focus on players on their roster ans x and o's and fall asleep even on some of their commits. Mario is intense with recruiting all year. The kids feel that when they are struggling through the season, they are mentally tired in week 8, and Mario hit them up to give them a pick me up and they know they aint forgotten. They get all the love in the summer. The in season love hits different.

I was an athlete. Although its track you training from August, by late April, May you are mentally drained. Those were the times in college when my mom called me from Jamaica it felt special and these are 16, 17 year olds

There’ll likely be 1-2 in the portal beens we have most of our guys returning. Next year will be heavier. The nice thing about the new staff is reveling is the one area we don’t have to worry about anymore.
I’ve been impressed with their DL coaching staff, too. That’s one position group that has been solid to spectacular every week.

Advertisement
Reading only 1 HS D tackle is in play is a head scratcher

It is concerning but a couple of thoughts:

- Not a great year for top notch war daddies in this recruiting cycle.
- it's theoretically possible that Mario is very quietly after the top guys
- our board is a lot more expansive than we think (UNC commit, et al)
- we'll definitely poach the portal

The Bank is back open for business. After winning the battle for Cormani McClain, Miami has momentum heading into a huge recruiting weekend. One point that a source emphasized to me: last year’s late rush (Skinner, Citizen, Moss) wasn’t just the product of Mario’s late hiring. Expect us to emerge or reemerge with big-time kids down the stretch. Let’s go position-by-position to see where we stand:

QB- Jaden Rashada (Pittsburg, CA) and Emory Williams (Milton, FL) are committed. While there are no sure things in recruiting, both look solid as of now.

RB- This is a position where there have been several swings back and forth. Chris Johnson, Jr. (Dillard) Is 5’11, 181 with 10.45 speed and runs inside like the other Chris Johnson (no relation). He was on campus this past weekend. Miami is continuing to recruit Mark Fletcher (American Heritage) and his dad is a Canes fan. Kyron Jones (Charlotte) is an NC State commit with a Miami offer. There is always a chance that we pop up with Cedric Baxter (Orlando) down the stretch. I expect Miami to take one. Chris Johnson Jr. would be my pick as of today, but this one is changing daily. I’d also keep my eye out for an impact Portal addition.

WR- Robbie Washington (Palmetto) and Nathaniel Joseph (Edison) are committed. The focus is on two names: Taeshaun Lyons (Bay Area) and Wake Forest commit Micah Mays (Benjamin). Both are expected at the FSU game and I believe we take one. Brandon Innis (American Heritage) is a priority target and, if it heats up, it may be later in the process. Expect 1-2 portal additions here with a focus on impact players.

TE- Riley Williams (IMG), Reid Mikeska (Houston) and Jackson Carver (Minnesota) are all committed and expected at the FSU game. No movement imminent here. I was wondering why Carver didn’t have senior film, but apparently he’s been injured (nothing long-term).

OL- Francis Mauigoa (IMG), Connor Lew (Atlanta), Frankie Tinilau (Lasalle), Tommy Kinsler (Ocala) and Antonio Tripp (IMG) are committed. The remaining target is Samson Okunlola (Brockton, Mass). That will be a battle but Miami is in good shape and positioned to close.

DE- Jayden Wayne (IMG) is committed. The focus is on closing the deal with Rueben Bain (Central) and we feel good about that progress. Not a done deal or foregone conclusion. He will be at the FSU game. Miami is communicating with three high upside, project-type DEs: 6’6 Chamberlain Campbell (St. Petersburg Lakewood), 6’7 Collins Acheampong (Orange County, CA, Michigan commit) and 6’4 Bai Jobe (Oklahoma, Michigan St. commit). This is one position to watch in December- while Miami may not be trending for Damon Wilson (Venice), Sam MPemba (IMG) and Nyckolas Harbor (Washington DC), it would not be surprise me if one of those names heated up late.

DT- The name to keep an eye on is Joshua Horton (Atlanta). He is 6’5, 293 with a near 80-inch wingspan and a 4.0 GPA. I’d put him on commitment watch. Expect a portal addition here as well.

LB- Popo Aguirre (Fayetteville, GA), Malik Bryant (Orlando) and Bobby Washington (Palmetto) are committed. Miami is still hot after Stanquan Clark (Central) and he remains a high priority. He will be at the FSU game. Miami is continuing to recruit JUCO Justin Jefferson (Alabama commit).

CB- Robert Stafford (Melbourne, FL), Antonio Jackson (Dillard) and—it feels good to say this—Cormani McClain (Lakeland) are commits. One source inside the building on McClain- “He has the upside to be the first overall pick of the draft.” Miami is pushing to add another big corner- the candidates are Damari Brown (American Heritage), Ja’keem Jackson (Kissimmee, FL) and Sharif Denson (Jacksonville, FL). Brown will be on campus this weekend and is on commitment watch. I expect us to land one of the three.

S- Kaleb Spencer (Colonial Heights, VA) will start out safety. People are very excited about his size, closing speed and physicality. I’d watch one of the bigger corners in the class to potentially end up here.

Overall, things are moving and changing quickly. But the McClain commit should put Miami fans on notice of what this staff is capable of in the recruiting game.
surprised to see no mention of Ricks or Edwin Joseph at CB.
I thought we were in the drivers seat for Edwin, which I hope is the case, because I think he can develop into a great player

Advertisement
A few big/surprise names missing from this bank obviously on purpose.
I thought we were in the drivers seat for Edwin, which I hope is the case, because I think he can develop into a great player
With Jackso reclassifying and Mclain and likely Brown he doesnt have a spot now.

Maybe I’m just drunk from Cormani still but there’s a lot of potential there, especially at DE

For once I’m actually happy that this board doesn’t know more about what we need than the staff does

We get a lot of sacks on defense with guys that aren’t great pass rushers. Would be pretty fun to watch if we can scoop a couple in recruiting or the portal
Wish there was more at DT as usual. Hopefully we get a solid add from the portal

May be greedy, but would like not 2 RBs in the class - but 3. Don't want to go into another season with just Parrish & hoping Chaney & Citizen are healthy and the real deal. Would like C. Johnson and another HS back, plus a high-level portal addition. It's a position often impacted by injury & Canes have been caught short too many times. Also, elite programs typically are rotating 3 backs.

Advertisement
A few big/surprise names missing from this bank obviously on purpose.
With Jackso reclassifying and Mclain and likely Brown he doesnt have a spot now.

I think he still has a spot especially if we lose out on denson and jackson. Kid is a great athlete and supposedly the staff loves him. Look at our roster - we NEED CBs. I think we can easily take 4 CBs.

May be greedy, but would like not 2 RBs in the class - but 3. Don't want to go into another season with just Parrish & hoping Chaney & Citizen are healthy and the real deal. Would like C. Johnson and another HS back, plus a high-level portal addition. It's a position often impacted by injury & Canes have been caught short too many times. Also, elite programs typically are rotating 3 backs.

I think the magic number is 5. So it depends on who is here next year. If, and this is just a hypothetical, only Rooster and Thad bounce, and we have Parrish, Chaney, and Citizen on the roster, I think 2 would be fine. Although I would like 1 of those to be a portal kid, because I essentially agree with what you said. Citizen might not be 100.0% in Week 1 next year, and Chaney is absolute glass, so if we just get 2, I would prefer 1 of those to be a plug and play kid and not a true freshman who has to learn and get stronger.

But IMO 5 is the number.

Also, you can be fine rotating 2 backs to do your heavy lifting. Of course if you have 3 animals, it's a **** of a luxury, but for example Ole Miss is doing fine with Evans and Judkins. Michigan is riding Corum with some Edwards sprinkled in. Even Bama is pretty much Gibbs and McClellan. Of course there are other kids who are getting work, but against the good teams in close games, I think most teams are fine rolling with their 2 best. Hopefully we can find 2 horses next year out of whichever of the 5 we have on the roster come back next year, CJ Jr., and either a flip (Baxter, Fletcher, etc) or a solid portal kid.

This was an amazing find by the staff. Definition of diamond in the rough. He just started playing football as a Sr which is insane. On top of that he’s a hockey player and Lacrosse player. This one you pack away for a couple years then unleash in his second or third year. I wouldn’t be shocked if this one hits big. He’s a Mario type for sure.
His lacrosse tape is very entertaining and impressive for those who understand the sport.

Advertisement
As for the other questions, I don’t think any ships have set sail. Hussey more likely than Jean, IMO. We expect a crazy December.

km_20220712-1_1080p_1.gif

6DAB1469-BB06-4D50-82EB-908E69AB226F.gif

Probably DVD for Cormani but I told the people stop sleeping on Addae seen what he pulled last cycle with UGA
I won’t wake up. Kirby Smart, alike Saban, is a former db coach who recruits that position very well. Plus UGA giving tons of bags helps. Addae deserves very little credit at UGA.

Miami is the only one of his top schools recruiting him at Corner. Those other teams, namely Penn St. and Utah have been on him for awhile.

Advertisement
Back