The Bank (1/8)

View as article
I gotta say it’s the last name. If this was a person with any other normal name with his stats, then you’d have a lot more people excited. Mentally, puffin banger doesn’t scream, Heisman. But it ain’t fair to fault him for that if he’s a gamer.

Advertisement
No Way Abandon Thread GIF

Advertisement
Miami just landed a commitment from Albany QB transfer Reese Poffenbarger. This will raise eyebrows, so let me pass on what I know about the decision:

- Miami will continue to evaluate veteran QBs through the end of this cycle and, if necessary, after spring. Poffenbarger has two years of eligibility, and his addition will not preclude Miami from pursuing another proven arm.

- Poffenbarger led the FCS in passing yards (3,608 yards) and passing TDs (36) while being graded at 2nd in big-time throws by PFF.

- Miami was blown away by his visit this weekend and compared his personality to Baker Mayfield. They also have high grades on his arm strength and athleticism (check his dunking highlights here).

- He measured at 6.05 and 215 pounds on his visit.

- I expect Miami to be aggressive in the Portal over the next two weeks. Positions to watch (along with QB) are safety, WR and possibly RB. This includes players committed elsewhere or about to commit elsewhere. They also will pursue difference-makers in the trenches. The plan is to pay for quality, not quantity. Young players like Rob Stafford and Chris Johnson need snaps. We don’t want to be like FSU where we major in the Portal and minor in HS recruiting.

- With respect to CB Antoine Jackson (ECU/UCF), I'm told Miami passing had nothing to do with his prior decommitment. There were some speed concerns on film. Miami did not have high grades on CB Earl Little and WR Jalen Brown, who went to FSU. There was some interest in Marvin Jones, Jr. but they have others rated higher.

Mario's now has his friend when things got rough.

As for the bank:

Isn't that where the Great Cam Ward came from? and isn't Albany the school the Jared Verse we say was already developed before FSU came from?
Verse also had offers Florida, LSU, Miami, Oklahoma, Texas and USC, among others. Does Hufflepuff have an offer list like that?

A few important differences with Ward. Ward started at Incarnate Word—Hufflepuff started at ODU and had to transfer down to Albany. We also didn’t take Ward directly from Incarnate Ward—it worked out for Wash St but with what we’re paying Mario we shouldn’t have to be shopping for QBs at the FCS level.

Advertisement
All jokes aside Miami should probably make a habit of Contacting the top Juco guys and a Few FCS All Americans yearly. All American is all American I'm not saying they all Jerad Verse but top FCS guys get drafted yearly.
Jared Verse.... tell me more about this player... are we saying Jared Verse is good... hmmmm ... from the portal... I need to hear more of this...

Where did he go to school? Poor man's Lichtenstein no doubt. Rich man's Moultrie?

We’re noticeably the slowest reactive program that I have ever seen in all aspects from game day, hiring, firing, offering, etc…
Gotta laugh so you don’t cry 🤣

A thought that makes me crack up is picturing Mario still being the coach here in 15 years… you think **** slow now? Wait until then, gonna be calling two TOs back to back to send out punt team on 4th and 3.

Coaches will be hired in July.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I’ve figured it out. Since we are looking to get out of the ACC, the most likely landing spot for us is the CAA. To prepare for FCS play, what better way than have someone that dominated the Coastal Athletic Association?

I was going to say in before the Baker Mayfield or Drew Brees moxy…nevermind.

So, I’m a bit confused. Again, I’m getting older in life & maybe my memory isn’t like what it once was like 3 days ago, but any who, wasn’t the narrative that Miami didn’t want the Liberty QB b/c they didn’t want a kid w/ more than one yr of eligibility or was that another QB?

Maybe Proff didn't need the guarantee and is willing to compete; hence the Baker Mayfield personality comp.

Furthermore, I don't believe the staff takes him unless he understands they may pursue someone else, which is fine because he's enough of an athlete to have position versatility.

He wants to be a Cane, clearly believes in himself and is willing to go compete for what he wants.

Last edited:
Does anyone in the building know Baker Mayfield? Personal friends? Coached him? Not trolling--just curious the reliability of this claim.
Alonzo Highsmith was the VP of Player Personnel of the Browns when they drafted Mayfield.

Should tell you who is making up the bull**** and probably needs go when this doesn’t work out

Edit.. I see it says personality.. at least they’re not trying to sell his ability as being Baker Mayfield.

Advertisement
Back