The Bank (1/8)

View as article
Advertisement
Good luck trying to convince these guys otherwise.

For the record, Miami never formally saw him on the practice field. He was gone before that could happen.

Goes to ECU, doesn’t look as explosive as they thought he was, and passed the second time around.

Same thing for Little.

Why is that hard for people to understand?
I think this is as simple as people don’t trust Mario and Co’s portal evals. He hasn’t hit at as high a clip as Norvell or Malzahn, where both guys went. I’m not saying I agree but I think most would say if they’re good enough for them then why not us? Especially our concerns in the secondary. Maybe I’m misreading

Advertisement
I was going to say in before the Baker Mayfield or Drew Brees moxy…nevermind.

So, I’m a bit confused. Again, I’m getting older in life & maybe my memory isn’t like what it once was like 3 days ago, but any who, wasn’t the narrative that Miami didn’t want the Liberty QB b/c they didn’t want a kid w/ more than one yr of eligibility or was that another QB?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Miami just landed a commitment from Albany QB transfer Reese Poffenbarger. This will raise eyebrows, so let me pass on what I know about the decision:

- Miami will continue to evaluate veteran QBs through the end of this cycle and, if necessary, after spring. Poffenbarger has two years of eligibility, and his addition will not preclude Miami from pursuing another proven arm.

- Poffenbarger led the FCS in passing yards (3,608 yards) and passing TDs (36) while being graded at 2nd in big-time throws by PFF.

- Miami was blown away by his visit this weekend and compared his personality to Baker Mayfield. They also have high grades on his arm strength and athleticism (check his dunking highlights here).

- He measured at 6.05 and 215 pounds on his visit.

- I expect Miami to be aggressive in the Portal over the next two weeks. Positions to watch (along with QB) are safety, WR and possibly RB. This includes players committed elsewhere or about to commit elsewhere. They also will pursue difference-makers in the trenches. The plan is to pay for quality, not quantity. Young players like Rob Stafford and Chris Johnson need snaps. We don’t want to be like FSU where we major in the Portal and minor in HS recruiting.

- With respect to CB Antoine Jackson (ECU/UCF), I'm told Miami passing had nothing to do with his prior decommitment. There were some speed concerns on film. Miami did not have high grades on CB Earl Little and WR Jalen Brown, who went to FSU. There was some interest in Marvin Jones, Jr. but they have others rated higher.
Mario better have a 10+ win season or it is going to be ugly.

So, I’m a bit confused. Again, I’m getting older in life & maybe my memory is like what it once was like 3 days ago, but any who, wasn’t the narrative that Miami didn’t want the Liberty QB b/c they didn’t want a kid w/ more than one yr of eligibility or was that another QB?

You are remembering correct, sir.

D$ on why this is a good take..
7ADA9E8A-8821-44BF-B562-049FC2DBFD77.gif

D2404F52-5221-4422-96B2-7222B55D5A49.gif

Advertisement

So, I’m a bit confused. Again, I’m getting older in life & maybe my memory is like what it once was like 3 days ago, but any who, wasn’t the narrative that Miami didn’t want the Liberty QB b/c they didn’t want a kid w/ more than one yr of eligibility or was that another QB?

Narrative now is untapped FCS potential over guys with NFL talent and P5 experience

Yup, but here’s the problem now.

No offense to Hufflepuff, but no WR worth a **** is coming to play with this kid under normal circumstances. It is what it is. We better hope baby Tua’s waiver comes through. We’ve lost our most explosive weapon on offense (Breshard), and our WR3 (Young). Who knows if George hangs around now, and even if he does, he’s got the whole Jeckell and Hyde thing going on. Point is, we have pretty much one proven WR that belongs on a Top 20 ish team (which should be our goal) in Restrepo…and then a whole bunch of maybes or potential.

We desperately need a WR1. We are going to have to overpay just to get our foot in the door with some of these conversations.

meh I mean the kid doesn’t belong here but I’ll say WKU has a very friendly offensive system and has had some good QB evals over the years in Reed and Zappe (amongst others)

Then again, their system compared to ours is…well it’s “different”.

Agree with you 100%, definitely lacking playmakers on the outside, I'll wait to see what we finish with in the portal first. Just another hurdle for Mario to jump that he's created here. We've done a good job recruiting some this year and I trust KB development of players to make them better. TBH, Im ok with George going he seems like more of a problem than a problem solver.

Advertisement
I think this is as simple as people don’t trust Mario and Co’s portal evals. He hasn’t hit at as high a clip as Norvell or Malzahn, where both guys went. I’m not saying I agree but I think most would say if they’re good enough for them then why not us? Especially our concerns in the secondary. Maybe I’m misreading

Wait, so there is a difference between portal and high school recruiting evals?

Low risk, high reward with the QB take in my opinion. Has two years left and the spring portal window is still going be open and he likely understands that Miami wants a proven commodity and provides a very capable arm throwing from upcoming off seaosn stuff.
Imagine Lil Tua gets his eligibility, and he commits to Miami? with the Albany QB? That QB room is a **** of a lot strong this upcoming season PLUS next year with Reese, Judd, Brown and Emory.

Advertisement
Back