The Bank (1/8)

View as article
Miami just landed a commitment from Albany QB transfer Reese Poffenbarger. This will raise eyebrows, so let me pass on what I know about the decision:

- Miami will continue to evaluate veteran QBs through the end of this cycle and, if necessary, after spring. Poffenbarger has two years of eligibility, and his addition will not preclude Miami from pursuing another proven arm.

- Poffenbarger led the FCS in passing yards (3,608 yards) and passing TDs (36) while being graded at 2nd in big-time throws by PFF.

- Miami was blown away by his visit this weekend and compared his personality to Baker Mayfield. They also have high grades on his arm strength and athleticism (check his basketball highlights here).

- He measured at 6.05 and 215 pounds on his visit.

- I expect Miami to be aggressive in the Portal over the next two weeks. Positions to watch (along with QB) are safety, WR and possibly RB. This includes players committed elsewhere or about to commit elsewhere. They also will pursue difference-makers in the trenches. The plan is to pay for quality, not quantity. Young players like Rob Stafford and Chris Johnson need snaps. We don’t want to be like FSU where we major in the Portal and minor in HS recruiting.

- With respect to CB Antoine Jackson (ECU/UCF), I'm told Miami passing had nothing to do with his prior decommitment. There were some speed concerns on film. Miami did not have high grades on CB Earl Little and WR Jalen Brown, who went to FSU. There was some interest in Marvin Jones, Jr. but they have others rated higher.

Isn't Anderson also a basketball player? Going to be epic battles between Poofenburger and Studd Anderson

VgkGLQ6-ezgif.com-cut.gif

Advertisement
The sell job on this low level take is right up there with the "Ryan Mayes" and "Larry Hope" hype from back in the day. Hate to be "that guy" but if this were FSU or UF taking him the race to the tears threads would be like the 100M dash at the Olympic finals.

He literally said they're continuing to pursue other QBs. Multiple. There is zero intention for this to be the only QB transfer they get. Until they get one, feel free to keep the trolls rolling. If they don't get one, I'll join you. But I've got a shiny silver nickel that says Emory, Jacurri, Judd, and Rosinbagger are NOT the only QBs on the roster come fall camp. We'll see.
I...wasn't trolling? I tend to agree with you. My question was more specific about Baby Tua and whether the timing of this take reflects some confidence there. Love this kid as a 2-year lottery ticket so long as we get a starter for this year.

Advertisement
Going to wait and see how he does at this level before throwing his name under the bus. Some of these dudes have a competitve edge that drive their success and will drive the success of a team.
Yup, but here’s the problem now.

No offense to Hufflepuff, but no WR worth a **** is coming to play with this kid under normal circumstances. It is what it is. We better hope baby Tua’s waiver comes through. We’ve lost our most explosive weapon on offense (Breshard), and our WR3 (Young). Who knows if George hangs around now, and even if he does, he’s got the whole Jeckell and Hyde thing going on. Point is, we have pretty much one proven WR that belongs on a Top 20 ish team (which should be our goal) in Restrepo…and then a whole bunch of maybes or potential.

We desperately need a WR1. We are going to have to overpay just to get our foot in the door with some of these conversations.

meh I mean the kid doesn’t belong here but I’ll say WKU has a very friendly offensive system and has had some good QB evals over the years in Reed and Zappe (amongst others)

Then again, their system compared to ours is…well it’s “different”.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I...wasn't trolling? I tend to agree with you. My question was more specific about Baby Tua and whether the timing of this take reflects some confidence there. Love this kid as a 2-year lottery ticket so long as we get a starter for this year.

My bad, wasn't really saying you specifically. I meant the board.

IMO the timing has nothing to do with the confidence in Taulia, they like this kid and see him exactly how you described him, a 2-year lottery ticket. I don't think this is any sort of "let's take this kid because we're not getting anyone else" statement by the staff. But with nobody else in the boat yet, I guess you take him and keep pushing with the other kids you're pursuing, most notably Taulia (and yes, Ward).

Advertisement
The fact that we are still in the QB market tells us that Poffenbarger ain't it. We gotta launder opinions about his moxie through the message board...yikes. As for the other transfers, fine, but unless we are going to try and steal Scourton away from Texas A&M, who are all these guys we have graded ahead of Little and Jones Jr.?

Advertisement
Back