The ATM (1/16)

View as article
Great stuff, D$!

Regarding LT - I like that kid and really glad he's still with us! Having said that... he's not a HS kid anymore. When he first arrived, everyone was projecting big things because of his "wiggle" and natural attributes. At this point, the truth is, he hasn't lived up to his billing as #1 DT in America.

Yes, you can say that he hasn't had the kind of training that he would've received at UGA/BAMA, but there comes a time when every man has to take responsibility for himself. I am rooting HARD for LT and want him to succeed more than any kid that he came in with, but he's gotta do things outside of what they prescribe for him in the program.

Assuming that he really does have the goods and all of those prognosticators aren't wrong, he needs to put in the extra time and truly treat this like a job... a really high paying 1%er type of job if he takes personal responsibility for his success. Hoping he does that this offseason and hoping it pays off.

Same goes for our entire WR room (minus Restrepo).
Too soon to make a call on Taylor living up to the hype.

most dl need 3 years. If he’s in shape, I think he will ball out. I was under impression it was more to do with his conditioning than anything else

Advertisement
One more note to add- Miami is getting increased traction in its pursuit of Nyckolas Harbor. Nothing imminent or anything but progress.

What position does the staff view him as playing or is it just land him and figure it out when he’s on campus?

I see this as a Devon Hester scenario. Just the outcome won’t be as good. This kid is in no man’s land.

Can he catch? Well?

Hester was no man’s land outside of STs. We’ll figure it out. Just land the kid. He’s a disruptive and lord knows we desperately need those.

I personally think you keep him as a WR and split him wide. He’d kill it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Great update and again, a reason this fan base needs to chill the f out already.

Let. Things. Play. Out.

Mario isn't Manny, or Fat Albert, or The Onion or Clappy. He also has the motor and energy of ten Mark Richts.

These self-imposed timelines are the result of frustrated fans (embarrassed by 5-7) wanting some nonsensical bragging rites against rivals or outsiders that are busting their balls.

Cristobal isn't an amateur and after watching the Oregon program he left behind, fans need to give more grace than they are giving—as a bad year with Diaz's clown show roster doesn't define the man or his future here.

Great, y'all wanted Josh Gattis fired an hour after the loss to Pittsburgh. If he's gone by late-January—because your head coach felt that was part of his plan and process—what's the difference?

Again, add up every super-fan on this board—Miami's head coach cares as much about this program (if not more) than every one of you. Miami native, two-time national champion and literally put his money where his mouth is, leaving a premier job at Oregon and a fat Nike contract on the table to come back to rebuild a program that past five head coaches couldn't rebuild over the past 20 year.

The daily whining and know-it-all, all-the-answers mentality is insufferable.

All the stroking off of Florida State for going 10-3 this year—short memories for Mike Norvell going into last year's Miami upset with a 6-12 record over almost two seasons.
Doesn't beat a ranked team this year and ekes out a win over a .500 Oklahoma program and everyone is sucking him off, as if the entire city of Trailerhassee wasn't trying to oust this guy for two seasons (and as if he didn't lose to Jacksonville State last year and fall 52-10 to Miami year one—while making fun of Mario's loss to MTSU and first game against the Noles.)

This program has been a dumpster fire for 20 years; a 7-5 average annually for the past 17 seasons.

Miami has had a real head coach and real money for just over 13 months now. Relax. Things are falling into place.
Fact of the matter is that Mario hired slowly and HORRIBLY (OC). I do believe overall he'll be successful, though maybe not have the degree of success that to me, at first, seemed a foregone conclusion. To not have any concern with his offensive philosophy or ability to recruit/manage/develop qb's is naive.

What position does the staff view him as playing or is it just land him and figure it out when he’s on campus?

He wants to play WR/TE. I'm not saying we would NEVER talk to him about a position change, but it won't be during recruiting.

Kid has to keep his weight low to run track. I honestly believe that if anyone TRIED to switch him to DE, he'd just transfer.

Please...this needs to stop.

There is NOT a gap with Admissions. ALL OF THOSE RECRUITS would have been admitted to UM.

The fact that Miami is a small private school can NEVER be "tightened up". We are always going to have some transfer candidates who would "lose" a bunch of credit TOWARDS A MIAMI DEGREE. And that is the choice that each transfer candidate has to make on his own.

What people need to realize is that THIS ISN'T NEW. You're just starting to hear about it now this year, which is both encouraging and frustrating. Maybe it's made worse by the fact that there are SO MANY guys in the Portal. But I am absolutely certain that Miami "cooled on" certain transfers in the past because those guys did not want to lose a bunch of academic progress by coming to Miami.

We can't really do anything except try to get transcripts faster and ask certain academic people to work overtime during the holidays.
Yes and people forget by the time a guy pops up in the portal multiple teams have already back channeled with said recruit ,so we’re really working a short time frame.

Advertisement
I see this as a Devon Hester scenario. Just the outcome won’t be as good. This kid is in no man’s land.

Can he catch? Well?

His hands are not great (currently, based on drills/film), he sometimes fights the ball, but this may be viewed by the coaches as improvable. Keep in mind, he's barely prepared, trained, or played WR/TE enough to look like a 5-star AT THAT POSITION. Right now, he is a 5-star ATH, not a 5-star WR or a 5-star TE.

Not sure how much "the older guys" will remember, but the 49ers had a legit track guy named Skeets Nehemiah and the Buccaneers had a super-fast WR named Kevin House. Both guys were known for amazing speed...and so-so hands.

Great update and again, a reason this fan base needs to chill the f out already.

Let. Things. Play. Out.

Mario isn't Manny, or Fat Albert, or The Onion or Clappy. He also has the motor and energy of ten Mark Richts.

These self-imposed timelines are the result of frustrated fans (embarrassed by 5-7) wanting some nonsensical bragging rites against rivals or outsiders that are busting their balls.

Cristobal isn't an amateur and after watching the Oregon program he left behind, fans need to give more grace than they are giving—as a bad year with Diaz's clown show roster doesn't define the man or his future here.

Great, y'all wanted Josh Gattis fired an hour after the loss to Pittsburgh. If he's gone by late-January—because your head coach felt that was part of his plan and process—what's the difference?

Again, add up every super-fan on this board—Miami's head coach cares as much about this program (if not more) than every one of you. Miami native, two-time national champion and literally put his money where his mouth is, leaving a premier job at Oregon and a fat Nike contract on the table to come back to rebuild a program that past five head coaches couldn't rebuild over the past 20 year.

The daily whining and know-it-all, all-the-answers mentality is insufferable.

All the stroking off of Florida State for going 10-3 this year—short memories for Mike Norvell going into last year's Miami upset with a 6-12 record over almost two seasons.
Doesn't beat a ranked team this year and ekes out a win over a .500 Oklahoma program and everyone is sucking him off, as if the entire city of Trailerhassee wasn't trying to oust this guy for two seasons (and as if he didn't lose to Jacksonville State last year and fall 52-10 to Miami year one—while making fun of Mario's loss to MTSU and first game against the Noles.)

This program has been a dumpster fire for 20 years; a 7-5 average annually for the past 17 seasons.

Miami has had a real head coach and real money for just over 13 months now. Relax. Things are falling into place.
yo clown show - waiting for more vaccine takes from you. quit w the excuses.

Advertisement

Can he catch? Well?

Size and speed like that I think is absolutely worth taking and see what comes of it.

His hands are not great (currently, based on drills/film), he sometimes fights the ball, but this may be viewed by the coaches as improvable. Keep in mind, he's barely prepared, trained, or played WR/TE enough to look like a 5-star AT THAT POSITION. Right now, he is a 5-star ATH, not a 5-star WR or a 5-star TE.

Not sure how much "the older guys" will remember, but the 49ers had a legit track guy named Skeets Nehemiah and the Buccaneers had a super-fast WR named Kevin House. Both guys were known for amazing speed...and so-so hands.
Bob Hayes was fun to watch back in the day.

Advertisement
Back