The aReal Recap

This is the most experienced O line in history and they didn’t look any better. It’s time to ask wtf is he being paid for.
You serious with this? The o-line never stood a chance against the front seven they were facing, no matter who was coaching.

Advertisement
Instead you got to see Jennings and Ivey.
it’s not a Miami prime time game until you see Ivey burned for long TDs and Jennings whiffing on tackles. This staff is clueless. It’s was never Baker, it’s Manny.
I’m not gonna say Baker didn’t have a hand in it because if you just watched LSU vs UCLA the linebackers were bad in that game.

I’m not gonna say Baker didn’t have a hand in it because if you just watched LSU vs UCLA the linebackers were bad in that game.
Baker, Manny - Manny, Baker - same guy, same result.
Bakers LB play like crap, so does Manny’s. It’s his protégée after all.
Baker is no longer here, and though he might suck, he’s no longer Manny’s scapegoat.

We lost 2 of our better recapers so far so I'm gonna slide in here. I know the apologists will point to the talent differential as an excuse but that was only a fraction of what went wrong. Every week we see teams that have less talent at least compete with top tier teams. This weekend was no different.

The Good.
-We don't play Bama again this year.

- Saban took his foot off the gas 2nd half. He obviously told his guys at half to rest up for next week we never put up a fight.

- Special Teams executed well no complaints from any of the units.

- Kichens and James Williams made some big plays tonight look like keepers.

-Stevenson did not shy away from contact in Run support.

-Carter did not get ejected for targeting and was in position to makes some plays albeit 15-20 yards down field.

-Zion looked as advertised in Pass blocking.

-Pope and Wiggins weren't out there dropping passes.

The Ugly.
-Coming in to this game Alabama was expected to dominate both lines of scrimmage. Alabama DOMINATED both lines of scrimmage.

-Lashlee play-calling has been bust in every big game we have played. He is not the smartest man in the room and is not the guy.

-Everyone we expected to be a Jag was a Jag. Harris still thinks he is shifty and but1 is actually stiff and spends more time running side to side then forward. Jennings and Steed are not Miami caliber Linebackers they get washed over and over again and don't make plays. Scaife is a turnstile and penalty machine. Hall is the worst safety we've had last 15 years hands down, couldn't even pick up a fumble. McCloud didn't generate any pass rush and often took himself out of the play. Ivey is not a cornerback he is stiff and slow its hard to watch.

-Keontra Smith was very physical in the run game but like everyone else on defense we allowed Bama to fall forward more often than not.
Tackling did not receive enough emphasis in game prep.

-Offensive line was offensive 80% of game. Donaldson is slow at the point of attack. Gaynor is not physical at all. Rivers is young and wet behind the ears.

-King did not look 100% healthy. Im not optimistic he finishes the season..

-Pass coverage looked very 2019-2020 ish guys were running open from the opening snap.. Could have and should have been much worse.

-The moment is to big for Manny. We weren't prepared to face a top tier team. We looked sluggish from the start as has been the case in every other big game under Manny.

We do not face another team this year with more talent than us. Problem is that doesn't matter. We do not have leaders on this team still and guys like Frierson and Silvera are here for a good time not a long time. We don't have the look of a team that wants to compete at the highest level. 10-2 is where we should be. 8-4 is realistic for where we will be. 6-6 is my expectation with Lashlee and Manny leading the charge. I see the same team we fielded last year yes the opponent was Bama but the deficiencies we had last year are the same this year.
#1 thinks he's getting a check but will be a first cut candidate and isn't good

it was a bad call but he clearly doesn't trust king.bigger problem is cam Harris needs to be 2nd string.
You're arguing small stupid details.. the OL sucks man.. Zion might be 4th round the rest will be working for enterprise.

Advertisement
When is the spotlight gonna be on Justice? This is the most experienced O line in history and they didn’t look any better. And don’t forget we don’t have anybody committed that’s gonna make the line any better. It’s time to ask wtf is he being paid for.
You can't polish a sneaker...

UGLY
- Lashlee’s play calling. He's stubborn, lacks creativity, doesn't play too his players' strengths and doesn't exploit the opponent's weaknesses. Had we come out spread, passing the ball quickly up field, with the occasional deep ball, then we would have shown we are an offense to be respected.

- Diaz's play calling. Constant zone coverages without any disguising. A smart QB with weapons can simply see how we line up and decide where to go successfully. I have no idea why we don't play man press at all. Plus I'm not a fan of all the delayed blitzes.

BAD
- The defensive line was pretty impotent. Mind you, Alabama may be the best offensive line we play all year, but I definitely hoped for better.

- Scaife. His replacement was a sure upgrade.

- Hall. Dude continues to be a non-factor. I'd replace him with the freshmen.

- Linebackers other than Smith.

GOOD
- The receivers look good. Rambo, Restrepo, Harley, Smith and Mallory are more than good enough to beat everyone anyone we face.
- Chaney. I like that kid. Good vision and consistently gets yards.
- King is a stud. I don't get the hate. He is accurate, has a good arm, is mobile and a leader. He just had no protection and Lashlee didn't help him.

UGLY
- Lashlee’s play calling. He's stubborn, lacks creativity, doesn't play too his players' strengths and doesn't exploit the opponent's weaknesses. Had we come out spread, passing the ball quickly up field, with the occasional deep ball, then we would have shown we are an offense to be respected.

- Diaz's play calling. Constant zone coverages without any disguising. A smart QB with weapons can simply see how we line up and decide where to go successfully. I have no idea why we don't play man press at all. Plus I'm not a fan of all the delayed blitzes.

BAD
- The defensive line was pretty impotent. Mind you, Alabama may be the best offensive line we play all year, but I definitely hoped for better.

- Scaife. His replacement was a sure upgrade.

- Hall. Dude continues to be a non-factor. I'd replace him with the freshmen.

- Linebackers other than Smith.

GOOD
- The receivers look good. Rambo, Restrepo, Harley, Smith and Mallory are more than good enough to beat everyone anyone we face.
- Chaney. I like that kid. Good vision and consistently gets yards.
- King is a stud. I don't get the hate. He is accurate, has a good arm, is mobile and a leader. He just had no protection and Lashlee didn't help him.
...only problem with King is that at the first sign of pressure, he ducks and runs

Advertisement
There were a lot of unknowns that are no longer in question. That was the only reason for hope.

All of the leading candidates to win the ACC lost this weekend.

You can't polish a sneaker...
Fair, but at some point after 10 years we can’t have the same sneakers (not just Justice, larger issue over multiple coaches as a whole). But, his job is to improve the product he inherited, and If he hasn’t improved the o line (to me, bama isn’t the tell-all-be-all, they’re just on a different level) he’s got to go out and convince some nicer shoes that they’ll be worn right away…and if he can’t do that, well then he’s not too good at his job.

I think I went too far with your shoe analogy but you get the point :ROFLMAO:

Sick and tired of us trying to establish the run. It’s how Lashlee does his offense but it’s ******* Bama yet he continued to try it and ruin drive after drive after drive in the beginning of the game. Next thing you know we are getting blown out and he still tries. Lashlee helped us make that step into the spread but it’s time to get a more creative playcaller next year. ****, grab someone from Big 12. Give me the air raid all
Day.

You said, "Tackling did not receive enough emphasis in game prep." ****, in the last 20 years, it has always seemed to be a total afterthought. It's almost as if we seek out poor tacklers when we recruit our back 7.

Advertisement
We lost 2 of our better recapers so far so I'm gonna slide in here. I know the apologists will point to the talent differential as an excuse but that was only a fraction of what went wrong. Every week we see teams that have less talent at least compete with top tier teams. This weekend was no different.

The Good.
-We don't play Bama again this year.

- Saban took his foot off the gas 2nd half. He obviously told his guys at half to rest up for next week we never put up a fight.

- Special Teams executed well no complaints from any of the units.

- Kichens and James Williams made some big plays tonight look like keepers.

-Stevenson did not shy away from contact in Run support.

-Carter did not get ejected for targeting and was in position to makes some plays albeit 15-20 yards down field.

-Zion looked as advertised in Pass blocking.

-Pope and Wiggins weren't out there dropping passes.

The Ugly.
-Coming in to this game Alabama was expected to dominate both lines of scrimmage. Alabama DOMINATED both lines of scrimmage.

-Lashlee play-calling has been bust in every big game we have played. He is not the smartest man in the room and is not the guy.

-Everyone we expected to be a Jag was a Jag. Harris still thinks he is shifty and but1 is actually stiff and spends more time running side to side then forward. Jennings and Steed are not Miami caliber Linebackers they get washed over and over again and don't make plays. Scaife is a turnstile and penalty machine. Hall is the worst safety we've had last 15 years hands down, couldn't even pick up a fumble. McCloud didn't generate any pass rush and often took himself out of the play. Ivey is not a cornerback he is stiff and slow its hard to watch.

-Keontra Smith was very physical in the run game but like everyone else on defense we allowed Bama to fall forward more often than not.
Tackling did not receive enough emphasis in game prep.

-Offensive line was offensive 80% of game. Donaldson is slow at the point of attack. Gaynor is not physical at all. Rivers is young and wet behind the ears.

-King did not look 100% healthy. Im not optimistic he finishes the season..

-Pass coverage looked very 2019-2020 ish guys were running open from the opening snap.. Could have and should have been much worse.

-The moment is to big for Manny. We weren't prepared to face a top tier team. We looked sluggish from the start as has been the case in every other big game under Manny.

We do not face another team this year with more talent than us. Problem is that doesn't matter. We do not have leaders on this team still and guys like Frierson and Silvera are here for a good time not a long time. We don't have the look of a team that wants to compete at the highest level. 10-2 is where we should be. 8-4 is realistic for where we will be. 6-6 is my expectation with Lashlee and Manny leading the charge. I see the same team we fielded last year yes the opponent was Bama but the deficiencies we had last year are the same this year.
Great recap. Spot on.

Fair, but at some point after 10 years we can’t have the same sneakers (not just Justice, larger issue over multiple coaches as a whole). But, his job is to improve the product he inherited, and If he hasn’t improved the o line (to me, bama isn’t the tell-all-be-all, they’re just on a different level) he’s got to go out and convince some nicer shoes that they’ll be worn right away…and if he can’t do that, well then he’s not too good at his job.

I think I went too far with your shoe analogy but you get the point :ROFLMAO:
That was directed at the O-line!

You said, "Tackling did not receive enough emphasis in game prep." ****, in the last 20 years, it has always seemed to be a total afterthought. It's almost as if we seek out poor tacklers when we recruit our back 7.
we had DTs bouncing off the RBs the tackling issues aren't limited to any group.

Advertisement
it was a bad call but he clearly doesn't trust king.bigger problem is cam Harris needs to be 2nd string.
I only reply directly because I trust your opinion, but shouldn’t lashlee be taking away as many reads as possible for a QB who can’t even figure out give/keep let alone give/throw? More true PA passes from same formation and fewer RPO concepts

I only reply directly because I trust your opinion, but shouldn’t lashlee be taking away as many reads as possible for a QB who can’t even figure out give/keep let alone give/throw? More true PA passes from same formation and fewer RPO concepts
I dont know what needs to be done. I just know we can't win big with king.

I think health is what is limiting King the most. He also wasn't given many opportunities to stretch the field due to ineffective run game, poor blocking. The biggest flaw to me with King is read option, he has no clue when to keep the ball.

Advertisement
Back