The ACC was 6 and 4 vs the SEC

Anyone clamoring for FSU hold your argument til after the Georgia game. If it is even close, then you can *****.

Advertisement
Always tough to discuss anything related to a rival on this board...

No one here wants FSU in the playoff... that doesn't mean people can't discuss the College Football Playoff Committee decision making process...

If Miami was left out, we would be burning things down... since we still bring up 2000, 23 years later...

Michigan and Washington there's no need to discuss.

Texas beat Alabama early and has been mowing down any team in their path since they dropped a tough one to Oklahoma at a neutral site

Alabama's only loss was early in the year to Texas and they just beat undefeated UGA

FSU is out because...

FSU has looked absolutely putrid against two average teams in back-to-back weeks after losing Travis and was life and death with an average Miami starting a TF QB at home with Travis.

add in...

Louisville lost to Kentucky at home the week prior.

Kentucky was demolished at home by Alabama.

It wasn't gymnastics it was just the right decision.

If FSU wanted to be in, they needed to beat the **** out of Florida and Louisville without Travis. That did not happen, so they did not get in.
Exactly. Ohio State was in a similar situation as FSU in 2014. What did they do? They beat Wisconsin 59-0 in the Big 10 Championship game with their 3rd string QB. Whereas FSU beats Louisville 16-6 on 55 yards of passing?

Look, I hate the SEC as well, but the committee followed its own guidelines for better or worse. If being undefeated in a P5 conference was enough, they wouldn't have put in the language that a school missing a key player or coach would be taken into consideration. Looking at how their offense played against Florida and Louisville, it is hard to argue they would be blown out in the playoff.

And why all the FSU love on here? Kinda gross.

Advertisement
So turn a blind eye to how Bama looked against South Florida and Auburn? Got it, winning ugly only hurts other conferences. Imagine fsu needing a 4th and 31 to beat uf on the final play... They would have dropped out of the top 10
What other good win does FSU have besides the LSU victory to start the season? Clemson on the road? They are without Travis and haven't looked good since he went down.

Do you honestly believe FSU as it is currently constructed is going to beat any of the 4? Could they beat anyone in the top 10?

I hate that putting in Bama is the right call but that is where we are at. Sucks for FSU and the ACC.

I don't think this decision is an ACC vs SEC argument, people would like it to be that but the reality is it is just a resume and eye test argument.

I get not wanting to set the precedent, but without Travis FSU has not played well enough to deserve the spot.

Exactly. Ohio State was in a similar situation as FSU in 2014. What did they do? They beat Wisconsin 59-0 in the Big 10 Championship game with their 3rd string QB. Whereas FSU beats Louisville 16-6 on 55 yards of passing?

Look, I hate the SEC as well, but the committee followed its own guidelines for better or worse. If being undefeated in a P5 conference was enough, they wouldn't have put in the language that a school missing a key player or coach would be taken into consideration. Looking at how their offense played against Florida and Louisville, it is hard to argue they would be blown out in the playoff.

This is what I told my pro FSU family and my Suckeye wife

Anyone clamoring for FSU hold your argument til after the Georgia game. If it is even close, then you can *****.
Why would this matter? People argued Miami had no chance vs Nebraska in 83, and PSU was going to be a sacrificial lamb to Miami in 87.

I love threads like these because it exposes those who love the SEC... The ACC could be 30-0 versus the SEC and these same people would be posting why it doesn't really matter and the SEC is still the best.

It is okay to admit that the SEC was not very good this year.
2 things can be true at the same time.

The SEC may not have been very good this year AND FSU does not deserve to be in the playoff based on the committee's own set of guidelines as to who is chosen.

Advertisement

Michigan had 60 passing yards against Penn State... no one cared, because they won the game rushing and with defense... and it was with their starter and not a 3rd string that wouldn't start the bowl game anyway....

Why would this matter? People argued Miami had no chance vs Nebraska in 83, and PSU was going to be a sacrificial lamb to Miami in 87.
Because Miami and PSU did it on the field. If FSU gets blown out by Georgia (quite likely), they will be showing they didn't belong in the playoff either. If FSU is even just competitive in their game with Georgia, you can make an argument they should have been given a shot in the playoff. Highly doubtful that happens.

Michigan had 60 passing yards against Penn State... no one cared, because they won the game rushing and with defense... and it was with their starter and not a 3rd string that wouldn't start the bowl game anyway....
Bobs Burgers Straws GIF

Come on, the game was never in doubt, that's Michigan's offense, they won their conference championship 26-0, and you're talking a single game. And seriously, why so much FSU love? The committee followed its own guidelines. FSU is not the same team offensively by a long shot than they were before Travis went down. 2 games has shown that. They will be lucky to lose by less than 17 against Georgia.

Advertisement
@TheOriginalCane addressed this element of the criteria in another thread (which I wish were all combined since there are too many threads on this topic) and I agree with him on comparable teams...

If I was voting:
- Washington, Michigan, FSU undefeated: IN
- Liberty: Not a comparable power 5: OUT
- Texas > Bama > Georgia based on Texas beating Bama in Tuscaloosa: IN

But the Playoff Committee was NOT leaving the SEC out, and they went to work on how to get them in there...using the criteria..

This is absolute truth.

We may disagree on many a topic, and separately I may hate F$U with a 40-year passion, but the DECISION was unbelivably biased and flawed.

And it takes a LOT of injustice for me to actually argue in favor of a position that I am secretly laughing at on the inside.

How triggered are you going to be when Bama ends up winning it all anyways? Michigan is a complete team, but they don't get challenged all that much during the regular season. Washington similar. The championship may likely be a Texas vs Bama rematch.
If FSpoo is as good as they're supposed to be without Travis, then they should have no problem defeating Georgia in their bowl game.
Did I mention **** FSU?
As much as we complain about equity, you’re right. Teams can prove Bama does not belong in the playoff and that FSU was better than UGA on the field.

It’s a good thing. Our biggest rival just got prison shanked on national tv. The fans don’t have to suffer through a beat down in the semis.

Also Bama is better than FSU.

Advertisement
Christ, this is as bad as the ACC crowing about having 11 bowl eligible teams yet conveniently leaving out that over 50% of them (6 teams) are 7-5 or worse. What’s better is that of the other 4 (FSU being the 5th), FSU only played 2 (Louisville and Clemson).

Contrast to the SEC which may only have 8 bowl eligible teams but 75% (6 teams) are 8-4 or better. Of the 5 (Bama being the 6th) Bama played 4 (UGA, LSU, Ole Miss, Tennessee).

There is a reason the SEC has 4 times the representation as the ACC in the playoff and NY6 games. There is a reason why Bama’s SOS is Top 5 while FSU’s is mid 50s. There is a reason why FSU’s best win arguably (LSU) is Bama’s third best win.

Having FSU squeak by a 5 win UF, 8 win Clemson and UNC top under .500 USCe, 7-5 Miami topping 7-5 A&M, and Wake Forest beating Vanderbilt doesn’t prove **** other than cherry picking a false narrative. The ACC is straight booty cheeks and the level of competition these two teams played respectively isn’t really close.

Who did Bama and Georgia beat out of conference? Georgia beat Georgia Tech by 8. There were no other notable wins. I guess beating LSU by 21 doesn't count for anything. I don't give 2 ***** about fsu but I do care about college football always gives the SEC the benefit of the doubt. This year they didn't prove it.
Go check Michigan and Washington OOS schedule if you want to use that criteria as the deciding factor. Bama beat the same LSU team you Nole fans are arging about lol

Advertisement
Back