The ACC was 6 and 4 vs the SEC

CanesDynasty

Recruit
Not only did the ACC beat the SEC on the field this year. The team that was left out had 2 wins against them.

I predicted this outcome because the committee would use the Travis injury as their reasoning to justify Bama getting in.

The reason they got it wrong this year is because the SEC was not a dominant conference this year. Their top dogs lost their out of conference games on big stages. We knocked of A&M by 15 when they were healthy and hyped, fsu beat LSU worse than Bama did. Bama also struggled with South Florida. And NOBODY in the media wants to talk about their miracle win against Auburn.

In past seasons, the SEC earned their spot because they proved it during the regular season. This year they didn't. Utah cruises over uf with 10 starters out. Cal and New Mexico St out gained Auburn by a total of 500 yards. Texas completely out played Bama at night in Tuscaloosa. The list goes on.

This was the year the committee had a chance to bring up all of these points, but they were afraid to stand up to the SEC brass. College football is the best because of how important the regular season is and this year that took a huge hit.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Not only did the ACC beat the SEC on the field this year. The team that was left out had 2 wins against them.

I predicted this outcome because the committee would use the Travis injury as their reasoning to justify Bama getting in.

The reason they got it wrong this year is because the SEC was not a dominant conference this year. Their top dogs lost their out of conference games on big stages. We knocked of A&M by 15 when they were healthy and hyped, fsu beat LSU worse than Bama did. Bama also struggled with South Florida. And NOBODY in the media wants to talk about their miracle win against Auburn.

In past seasons, the SEC earned their spot because they proved it during the regular season. This year they didn't. Utah cruises over uf with 10 starters out. Cal and New Mexico St out gained Auburn by a total of 500 yards. Texas completely out played Bama at night in Tuscaloosa. The list goes on.

This was the year the committee had a chance to bring up all of these points, but they were afraid to stand up to the SEC brass. College football is the best because of how important the regular season is and this year that took a huge hit.
The Playoff Committee picked their cash cow conference and used their "criteria" gymnastics to make it happen.

The Playoff Committee picked their cash cow conference and used their "criteria" gymnastics to make it happen.
The criteria "gymnastics" were right in the guidelines of how they make a selection. The guidelines were made 10 years ago when the playoff was started. Hard to argue that they didn't follow their own guidelines, nor that FSU would get absolutely blasted if they had made it.

• The selection committee will select the teams using a process that distinguishes among otherwise comparable teams by considering:
    • Conference championships won,
    • Strength of schedule,
    • Head‐to‐head competition,
    • Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory), and,
    • Other relevant factors such as unavailability of key players and coaches that may have affected a team’s performance during the season or likely will affect its postseason performance.

Advertisement
The criteria "gymnastics" were right in the guidelines of how they make a selection. The guidelines were made 10 years ago when the playoff was started. Hard to argue that they didn't follow their own guidelines, nor that FSU would get absolutely blasted if they had made it.

• The selection committee will select the teams using a process that distinguishes among otherwise comparable teams by considering:
    • Conference championships won,
    • Strength of schedule,
    • Head‐to‐head competition,
    • Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory), and,
    • Other relevant factors such as unavailability of key players and coaches that may have affected a team’s performance during the season or likely will affect its postseason performance.
@TheOriginalCane addressed this element of the criteria in another thread (which I wish were all combined since there are too many threads on this topic) and I agree with him on comparable teams...

If I was voting:
- Washington, Michigan, FSU undefeated: IN
- Liberty: Not a comparable power 5: OUT
- Texas > Bama > Georgia based on Texas beating Bama in Tuscaloosa: IN

But the Playoff Committee was NOT leaving the SEC out, and they went to work on how to get them in there...using the criteria..

How triggered are you going to be when Bama ends up winning it all anyways? Michigan is a complete team, but they don't get challenged all that much during the regular season. Washington similar. The championship may likely be a Texas vs Bama rematch.
If FSpoo is as good as they're supposed to be without Travis, then they should have no problem defeating Georgia in their bowl game.
Did I mention **** FSU?

Last edited:
So which teams did Alabama and Georgia lose to in the ACC? Nobody cares about the rest of the SEC teams until one rises and has a good season. The ACC was absolute trash this year and FSU was a beneficiary of that. Don’t blame the ACC, blame the ****** football being played in it. That ACC championship game was a fitting end and great representation of the season.

Advertisement
So which teams did Alabama and Georgia lose to in the ACC? Nobody cares about the rest of the SEC teams until one rises and has a good season. The ACC was absolute trash this year and FSU was a beneficiary of that. Don’t blame the ACC, blame the ****** football being played in it. That ACC championship game was a fitting end and great representation of the season.
Who did Bama and Georgia beat out of conference? Georgia beat Georgia Tech by 8. There were no other notable wins. I guess beating LSU by 21 doesn't count for anything. I don't give 2 ***** about fsu but I do care about college football always gives the SEC the benefit of the doubt. This year they didn't prove it.

Last edited:
Who did Bama and Georgia beat out of conference? Georgia beat Georgia Tech by 8. There were no other notable wins
How do you think any ACC team would fair vs Alabama and Georgia? Clemson, although had a down year, is the only team in the ACC worth anything. They were a missed 27 yard field goal away from making FSU irrelevant in any playoff talk.

That LSU offense is not the same as it was Week 1 vs FSU. That game is totally different if it would have been played Week 10. LSU got better as the year went on and FSU arguably got worse. Their Week 1 win over LSU was probably their best played game and they looked average as **** the rest of the year.

Alabama was undefeated against the SEC, defeated the #1 and 2 time defending NC team, played a much tougher schedule than FSU and only lost to the #3 team.

Advertisement
How do you think any ACC team would fair vs Alabama and Georgia? Clemson, although had a down year, is the only team in the ACC worth anything. They were a missed 27 yard field goal away from making FSU irrelevant in any playoff talk.
I saw Georgia look very average against South Carolina and Auburn, so we're not going to agree on this.

I'm generally all about discussing CFB topics that don't always include Miami. But the FSU love fest is weird.

None of this matters. 12 teams next year in the playoffs. It's a mute point. It's like some of you wanted FSU to win it all this year, good god.

I love threads like these because it exposes those who love the SEC... The ACC could be 30-0 versus the SEC and these same people would be posting why it doesn't really matter and the SEC is still the best.

It is okay to admit that the SEC was not very good this year.

Advertisement
@TheOriginalCane addressed this element of the criteria in another thread (which I wish were all combined since there are too many threads on this topic) and I agree with him on comparable teams...

If I was voting:
- Washington, Michigan, FSU undefeated: IN
- Liberty: Not a comparable power 5: OUT
- Texas > Bama > Georgia based on Texas beating Bama in Tuscaloosa: IN

But the Playoff Committee was NOT leaving the SEC out, and they went to work on how to get them in there...using the criteria..
Michigan and Washington there's no need to discuss.

Texas beat Alabama early and has been mowing down any team in their path since they dropped a tough one to Oklahoma at a neutral site

Alabama's only loss was early in the year to Texas and they just beat undefeated UGA

FSU is out because...

FSU has looked absolutely putrid against two average teams in back-to-back weeks after losing Travis and was life and death with an average Miami starting a TF QB at home with Travis.

add in...

Louisville lost to Kentucky at home the week prior.

Kentucky was demolished at home by Alabama.

It wasn't gymnastics it was just the right decision.

If FSU wanted to be in, they needed to beat the **** out of Florida and Louisville without Travis. That did not happen, so they did not get in.

I love threads like these because it exposes those who love the SEC... The ACC could be 30-0 versus the SEC and these same people would be posting why it doesn't really matter and the SEC is still the best.

It is okay to admit that the SEC was not very good this year.
Exactly right. Also, if it were anyone else from the West (not Bama) with 1 loss and beat Georgia, they would not have gotten in.

From Randy Scott of ESPN:

Committee: You should schedule tough non-conference games.

FSU: We beat LSU and Florida.

Committee: You should really be a Power 5 conference champ.

FSU: We won the ACC.

Committee: You should be undefeated.

FSU: We’re 13-0.

Committee: Lol, you’re not gonna believe this..

Michigan and Washington there's no need to discuss.

Texas beat Alabama early and has been mowing down any team in their path since they dropped a tough one to Oklahoma at a neutral site

Alabama's only loss was early in the year to Texas and they just beat undefeated UGA

FSU is out because...

FSU has looked absolutely putrid against two average teams in back-to-back weeks after losing Travis and was life and death with an average Miami starting a TF QB at home with Travis.

add in...

Louisville lost to Kentucky at home the week prior.

Kentucky was demolished at home by Alabama.

It wasn't gymnastics it was just the right decision.

If FSU wanted to be in, they needed to beat the **** out of Florida and Louisville without Travis. That did not happen, so they did not get in.
So turn a blind eye to how Bama looked against South Florida and Auburn? Got it, winning ugly only hurts other conferences. Imagine fsu needing a 4th and 31 to beat uf on the final play... They would have dropped out of the top 10

Advertisement
Back