Thank you Butch Davis

Howard was 77 that year (2011). His total record since 1985 was 117-135-3. Yet there wasn't a single person who would have been willing to come on here and trash him. Butch Davis should be treated the same. They are both Canes legends.

How they comported themselves with regards to how and why they left are night and day.

Advertisement
Howard was 77 that year (2011). His total record since 1985 was 117-135-3. Yet there wasn't a single person who would have been willing to come on here and trash him. Butch Davis should be treated the same. They are both Canes legends.
Stop it....You're making to much sense.....Not allowed....(Btw, Butch put more quality Players & 1st rounders into the NFL than Howard...JJ & Erickson combined, in roughly the same amount of time)...More facts they don't want to hear....and did it under Sanction's, the others didn't have to face....

Last edited:
Who is trashing Butch Davis? Except for mention of his despicable flopping strategy AGAINST Miami. I was more embarrassed for HIM than Miami that night. As far as I am concerned, that was the moment he invited fair criticism going forward. And Howard created Miami. Howard won a 'ship. The FIRST SHIP. He kicked the door down. Howard is a HOF. Let's not quite go and put Butch in the same conversation as Howard, ok? We're not talking JJ, here. In fact, I remember VERY clearly all the constant criticism by all the fans about Davis' game-day coaching when he WAS ACTUALLY here. No need to canonize him afterwards. And furthermore, the same knuckleheads that flew the idiotic "Bring Back Butch!" banners a few years ago were surely the same idiots who flew the "Fire Butch Davis!" banners in the 90's. Banner people. So let's discard with the post hoc kid gloves stuff, ok?

When people use "Bring back (0-7) Butch!" to attack the current, actual HC of our Miami Hurricanes, they are going to get a factual explanation for what they are a gaggle off idiots. They invite a factual response, even if the facts hurt. No one, especially me, is starting random "Davis sucks!" threads, ok? Butch Davis belongs nowhere near a program like Miami today, which is why he can't get a job at a program 1/5th as prestigious as Miami today. The market has spoken.
0% chance that tactic was more embarrassing than losing to FIU at the site of the Orange Bowl as 21 point favorites. Complete and utter failure.

Who is trashing Butch Davis? Except for mention of his despicable flopping strategy AGAINST Miami. I was more embarrassed for HIM than Miami that night. As far as I am concerned, that was the moment he invited fair criticism going forward. And Howard created Miami. Howard won a 'ship. The FIRST SHIP. He kicked the door down. Howard is a HOF. Let's not quite go and put Butch in the same conversation as Howard, ok? We're not talking JJ, here. In fact, I remember VERY clearly all the constant criticism by all the fans about Davis' gamely coaching WHEN he was here. No need to canonize him afterwards. And furthermore, the same knuckleheads that flew the idiotic "Bring Back Butch!" banners a few years ago were surely the same idiots who flew the "Fire Butch Davis!" banners in the 90's. So let's discard with the post hoc kid gloves stuff, ok?

When people use "Bring back (0-7) Butch!" to attack the current, actual HC of our Miami Hurricanes, they are going to get a factual explanation for what they are a gaggle off idiots. They invite a factual response, even if the facts hurt. Butch Davis belongs nowhere near a program like Miami today, which is why he can't get a job at a program 1/5th as prestigious as Miami today. The market has spoken.
Have you read this thread? Half of it is bashing. Let's not forget that Howard may have built Miami, but Butch restored it to glory at a time when they were calling for the death penalty. The criticism when he was here was no different than any of the others. I remember people complaining about Erickson while I was a student and we had just won our fourth national championship. It's the nature of the beast.

How they comported themselves with regards to how and why they left are night and day.
That's the biggest issue that some just can't let that go. Butch never should have taken a job in the same conference. You know if he could go back and change things, he would.

Advertisement
Who is trashing Butch Davis? Except for mention of his despicable flopping strategy AGAINST Miami. I was more embarrassed for HIM than Miami that night. As far as I am concerned, that was the moment he invited fair criticism going forward. And Howard created Miami. Howard won a 'ship. The FIRST SHIP. He kicked the door down. Howard is a HOF. Let's not quite go and put Butch in the same conversation as Howard, ok? We're not talking JJ, here. In fact, I remember VERY clearly all the constant criticism by all the fans about Davis' game-day coaching when he WAS ACTUALLY here. No need to canonize him afterwards. And furthermore, the same knuckleheads that flew the idiotic "Bring Back Butch!" banners a few years ago were surely the same idiots who flew the "Fire Butch Davis!" banners in the 90's. Banner people. So let's discard with the post hoc kid gloves stuff, ok?

When people use "Bring back (0-7) Butch!" to attack the current, actual HC of our Miami Hurricanes, they are going to get a factual explanation for what they are a gaggle off idiots. They invite a factual response, even if the facts hurt. No one, especially me, is starting random "Davis sucks!" threads, ok? Butch Davis belongs nowhere near a program like Miami today, which is why he can't get a job at a program 1/5th as prestigious as Miami today. The market has spoken.
Nobody F-ing said to Bring back Butch after 2012 except Morons....You being the imbecile that you are...have no idea the Elite Staff he was bringing to UM if given the chance from Shannon to Richt (Kevin Patrick was one)....And Btw...it was actually Saban's last 2 classes that set the tone for Howard...who ran just like JJ for more $$$$, but it's Butch who gets scrutinized for doing the same F-ing thing.....NOW...For the Seventh Thousandth time....How have things been at UM since Butchs staff and kids left (including a possible 5 to Canton)????......

Last edited:
Not Butchs fault that Manny Arnaz put together a Garbage *** Staff, Headlined by an abortion of a OC, who couldn't even figure out what to do when Butch stopped any Slants....
I talked about this very subject with Butch a few weeks ago....His exact words were Quote, I was Shocked that the OC (Eno's) couldn't overcome that".....See, thats the Main issue....Eno's would NEVER have been Butch's OC....Not in a MILLION yrs...same goes for Mindy Diaz as a DC.....Ya wanna berate Butch for not being an Elite Game Day coach??...Fine...but his expertise at putting together a staff, and evaluating talent/recruiting shats all over that in the long run...

Nobody F-ing said to Bring back Butch after 2012 except Morons....You being the imbecile that you are...have no idea the Elite Staff he was bringing to UM if given the chance from Shannon to Richt (Kevin Patrick was one)....And Btw...it was actually Saban's last 2 classes that set the tone for Howard...who ran just like JJ for more $$$$, but it's Butch who gets scrutinized for doing the same F-ing thing.....NOW...For the Seventh Thousandth time....How have things been at UM since Butchs staff and kids left (including a possible 5 to Canton)????......
Well, I did, but then again I also campaigned for Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho for president, so maybe I wasn't 100% serious.

Can anyone really say he wouldn't have been a better choice?

Advertisement
0% chance that tactic was more embarrassing than losing to FIU at the site of the Orange Bowl as 21 point favorites. Complete and utter failure.
"Boring" FSU fans have trouble processing that.

Its embarrassing to even use it as an argument.

Bet his screen name is the same over at Warchant🤢🤢🤮🤮

Last edited:
Advertisement
Quick show of hands...

Knowing what we know now, would today's Miami Hurricanes be better, same, or worse if Butch DAW GOD were hired on 2 Dec 15*?

I believe our Canes would be in a more** competitve position.

*I think
*likely much

Nope. Bad analogy. Mario had to race against the top drivers in the world. Butch, in YEAR 5 just has to beat programs like Liberty, Middle Tennessee State, Jax St, FAU, and Western KY, ARK St, and Marshall. Guess what? He can't. He went 0-7 against those teams in his last seven games.

The guy could go 0-55 and Miami could win the NC and you'd still be holding onto "but he beat Miami in Manny's first year!" What has happened since then with each coach? This desperate tenuous attempt to hold onto that one game, in a specific circumstance, when Miami was bottoming out before starting their turnaround is truly pathetic. Nick Saban, as a HC in the *mighty* SEC, has lost to Louisiana-Monroe and UAB. And that's the end of that silly argument.

Any given Saturday. Does not erase the fact that Butch Davis has OBJECTIVELY been the worst coach in CFB (from a results and resources standpoint) which Manny has Miami on the upswing. Facts.

T-O-A-S-T.

Look amigo, I have no idea what happened to Butch. His strength has always been recruiting and evals and he's bottoming out in the middle of the best area in the country to recruit. It's weird. And I'd say it bums me out, but I'm a Cane and he pulled a lot of cheating *** Gator level flop stuff against us so yeah, he's down a rung in my book. I'm guessing if he doesn't turn it around this year he will retire under pressure.

FIU is NOT exactly a dream destination point for top drawer South Florida players.

But Butch is supposed to recruit top talent there?

When he got to UM, it took both Butch and Howard FIVE YEARS to take chikkin**** and turn it to chikkensalad. No others had to start from damned near - scratch.

Now if you put Butch back at a quality university with a fair recruiting base - he'll succeed - he did the bulk of recruiting and evaluations for JJ - Butch took off on Thursdays to do just that.

JJ handed his players - that Butch largely evaluated and recruited - to Erickson. Who won TWO.

The program was almost shut down - here comes Butch again - and FOR A FACT recruited the greatest football team EVER.

When UM decided to play games and hold off on his contract until the final days - he accepted his second offer to coach in the NFL.

I seem to recall Saban also fell flat on his *** in the NFL.

Do compare apples to apples, and oranges to oranges.

You do - and it's amazing how well Butch has done. For UM.

We should have hired him a few coaches back - and we'd probably have another handful of championships!

Advertisement
Quick show of hands...

Knowing what we know now, would today's Miami Hurricanes be better, same, or worse if Butch DAW GOD were hired on 2 Dec 15*?

I believe our Canes would be in a more** competitve position.

*I think
*likely much
Absolutely we would be loaded and alot of bama players would be having cane jerseys on that I believe 100000%

I can let it go just fine. Butch and his cult can’t.
WYoobOj0i6lJm.gif

Absolutely we would be loaded and alot of bama players would be having cane jerseys on that I believe 100000%

Not sure about a lot of Bama players being here.

But, I do think he would be hitting a lot more on the successful kids who leave SFL or just in general have had success at lower tier SEC programs/or even G5 programs, etc and end up getting drafted. The overall roster and development would have been a lot better by this point in time.

There would have been plenty of complaints about game day decision making still. But roster, development, consistent staff, and general overall toughness would have been better by this point in time.

Advertisement
Back