Thank God for OJ Anderson in the 70s

Curci did move Foreman to flanker (unused terminology today, I guess). I think Chuck had a fumbling problem. He said Coach Jon Mirilovich used to yell at him and only made it worse.

I'm old enough to remember when Mirilovich played for UM. ('57-'58).

You remain the king of old Cane trivia.

Advertisement
Great memories man. I go back to The Stork in the mid-late '60s. Dude was incredible. Old stand up DE. He'd reach over OL and grab QBs. OL back then were about 260-270. He looked like a basketball player out there destroying them. The way he could "pluck" QBs out of the pocket was a thing of beauty. Great player for the U.

All true. He was truly a unique player. I have never seen a player with the hand strength Hendricks had. If he got his hands on you, you're going down.

Great memories man. I go back to The Stork in the mid-late '60s. Dude was incredible. Old stand up DE. He'd reach over OL and grab QBs. OL back then were about 260-270. He looked like a basketball player out there destroying them. The way he could "pluck" QBs out of the pocket was a thing of beauty. Great player for the U.

Most OLs back then we're not that big. 240-250 was good size for a 60's OL. Wish I could find one of my '60's programs.

Saw Hendricks play at Hialeah High in '63, but I don't remember him.

In college an OL would block him low, he would put one hand on the ground to break his fall, and he would reach out with the other arm to grab the ball carrier.

Advertisement
For those that really go back. Pete Banazack jumping over the line at the goal line. Same with Doug Mcgee they had to devise a special helmut for him. And Coach Charlie Tate who use to punt on 3rd down.

Last edited:
Of the pre 70s old timers I think Hendricks and Mira would translate to todays game and be monster players.

Thank you but I must decline. Best I've ever seen at pure trivia was MiamiJoeCanesExpert at old Grassy. He might be on here under another name.

Too late. I have annointed you. So let be said, so let it written....... I was never on Grassy.

Advertisement
I believe OJ was our first ever 1000 yard rusher, Foreman should've been but Fran Curci used him as a wide receiverto often to get past 1000 yards..

For those that really go back. Pete Banazack jumping over the line at the goal line. Same with Doug Mcgee they had to devise a special helmut for him. And Coach Charlie Tate who use to punt on 3rd down.
I think it's spelled Banaszak. One of the Wisconsin kids Coach Kichefski used to bring in. McGee's nickname was "Spaceman." I mentioned third down punting and quick kicks in another thread. Young uns here probably don't believe teams would punt on third downs. That woman announcer called it a pooch punt but male color guy knew to call it a quick kick. That's what you get from political correctness and affirmative action intersecting football. The only female football I'm interested in watching is....you guessed it....the lingerie bowl.

Advertisement
Too late. I have annointed you. So let be said, so let it written....... I was never on Grassy.
OK....reluctantly agree to it but I'm not the best. MiamiJoeCanesExpert used to stump me. But his expertise was little details and factoids...my memory is somewhat focused on broader facts.

I'm also weak on the '70's....lived up north or in California and press/TV coverage was almost non-existent. I do recall we had a big upset of Texas in about '73 when Texas was a big power and we were not. The San Francisco paper had a nice write-up.

I think Woody Thompson might have been our stud RB then, but I don't really know for sure.

I always enjoy these old timer threads. Most of this stuff happened before I was born or when I was still a baby so I always learn something new. I remember Ottis Anderson in the NFL playing for the Giants but I never got to see him play for Miami. Good stuff. Thanks for sharing the stories and videos.

I think it's spelled Banaszak. One of the Wisconsin kids Coach Kichefski used to bring in. McGee's nickname was "Spaceman." I mentioned third down punting and quick kicks in another thread. Young uns here probably don't believe teams would punt on third downs. That woman announcer called it a pooch punt but male color guy knew to call it a quick kick. That's what you get from political correctness and affirmative action intersecting football. The only female football I'm interested in watching is....you guessed it....the lingerie bowl.

I remember quick kicks and coffin corner punts as well.

Lost art the coffin corner is.

Advertisement
I have clear memories of canes from 1951 and forward. Because of family breakup in the early 50s, I didn’t go to any games until 1955. I just wore out the Herald and News sport sections with the old sequenced photographs. I followed Miami High as much as I did the canes. Jim Dooley was a hero in my house, as much for being from Miami High as he was for being a cane. Anyway, from 55 on I practically lived in the OB. In 1960 I saw 22 games in the OB, and that was before the Fins. Anyone here remember the Miami Bombers?

OK....reluctantly agree to it but I'm not the best. MiamiJoeCanesExpert used to stump me. But his expertise was little details and factoids...my memory is somewhat focused on broader facts.

I'm also weak on the '70's....lived up north or in California and press/TV coverage was almost non-existent. I do recall we had a big upset of Texas in about '73 when Texas was a big power and we were not. The San Francisco paper had a nice write-up.

I think Woody Thompson might have been our stud RB then, but I don't really know for sure.

70s were painful. I was at the UT game. Woody Thompson was on the team and had a decent year. Couple other players of note too, Rubin Cater, Gary Dunn, are some that jump to mind. Back then we would have a few players equal to the good teams but not enough and no depth. UT had Roosevelt Leaks. If I recall he fumbled a ball in open space that help us along.

Most OLs back then we're not that big. 240-250 was good size for a 60's OL. Wish I could find one of my '60's programs.

Saw Hendricks play at Hialeah High in '63, but I don't remember him.

In college an OL would block him low, he would put one hand on the ground to break his fall, and he would reach out with the other arm to grab the ball carrier.

Imagine The Stork in today’s nfl as speed rush end. He was a beast when it was more run heavy. Shula drafted him to Colts as OLB, early prototype later 3-4 lb.

70s were painful. I was at the UT game. Woody Thompson was on the team and had a decent year. Couple other players of note too, Rubin Cater, Gary Dunn, are some that jump to mind. Back then we would have a few players equal to the good teams but not enough and no depth. UT had Roosevelt Leaks. If I recall he fumbled a ball in open space that help us along.
It wasn’t Leaks that fumble. I believe it was Joe Abousie. He was running free and just dropped the ball.

Advertisement
Back