Thank God for OJ Anderson in the 70s

Foreman was a big dude at leas 6-2 230 lbs. Foreman was a upright slashing type back Otis who was also tall and big was more of a juking back. I remember standing on Greentree and how they both had great size.

My memory is the same. Foreman was ginormous for a back. Smooth. Versatile. Great hands too. OJ had the quicks.

Advertisement
The current status of our football program has become so bad that posters are now mentioning how great some of former Canes were that played in the 1970’s. It is sad but a reflection of what we have become. 4 bad coaches and a limited amount of elite players during the past 16 years. The reality is that things have become so bad that I doubt if we ever become an elite program again. Richt’s replacement will be a clone of the past 4 bad coaches. Powers that be will continue to operate the program as they have during these disastrous times. To think otherwise is foolish. I don’t expect future Canes football to be any different in the future as it has been the past 16 years.

Oh lord. This is all a setup for the caneinorlando selfie with OJ back when caneinorlando was in his 50's.
Yeh Orlando guy is the President of middle aged groupies that never grew up. Once a nerd, always a nerd. He calls himself a chef. How about the correct terminology. He is a cook, probably at some joint flipping burgers and hash browns.

I agree with this. I've been a fan since the late '60s and no question O.J. Anderson is the best running back. Gore had a chance to overtake him with perfect health. None of the other backs had the combo of lateral instincts and power and relentless athletic arrogance of those two.

I was at that 1978 game at Florida Field. It remains one of the most satisfying Canes games I have ever attended, given the atmosphere and the unlikely nature of that comeback. I always despised the Gators but until that day I didn't understand the lowlife nature of their home crowd. Truly barbaric. Two years later I was away at college at USC but when I heard about Schellenberger's rub-it-in late field goal I didn't have to ask why.

It's just too bad that Anderson went to a poor team and an obscure team in the Cardinals. Someone mentioned his 193 yards in the opening game of his rookie season against the Cowboys. Yes, including a long touchdown run in the 4th quarter. But that was when the city of Miami was frantically preparing for Hurricane David, which was heading our way and had already caused immense destruction and many casualties elsewhere. Nobody really cared about the NFL games that day, including Dolphins at Buffalo. I remember my dad chastising me for occasionally looking at the television instead of helping to secure the house.

David fortunately turned just enough east in the wee hours of Monday morning to skirt the coast and barely scrape Miami, very similar to Matthew in 2016.

The '70s weren't really that bad from a fan perspective, despite the poor records. We always had a spattering of great players at important positions like running back and/or defensive tackle. But not until Jim Kelly showed up at Penn State did anything point to meaningful success ahead.

To me Edge is the greatest.

Advertisement
Don Latimer (1st Round NFL '78) + Eddie Edwards (Consensus All American Defensive End, 1st Round NFL '77 3rd Pick)
\
Chuck Foreman I believe in '73. He was a hellava receiver as well as RB. He played in 2 or 3 Super Bowls with the Vikings and if I'm not mistaken, still holds several team records.

\
Chuck Foreman I believe in '73. He was a hellava receiver as well as RB. He played in 2 or 3 Super Bowls with the Vikings and if I'm not mistaken, still holds several team records.
That team was loaded...Purple People Eaters...John Gilliam...Tark...Kraus...smh

Advertisement
Foreman was a great back but had a fumbling problem. The story is that Weeb Ewbank corrected this during Senior Bowl practices. It’s a nice story, but Chuck continued to fumble his whole career. If you ever watch any old film of Foreman you’ll see why. He had a unique running style that was very productive, but not conducive to protecting the ball.

One of my most proud moments as a Canes fan was finally whipping Notre Dame in the OB. Last game of his career Kelly hits Rodney Belk for 2 long bombs in a 31 to 14 rout.That team would miss a bowl game and put on a one game suspension. Of course the next year we would win it all.
You have a fuzzy memory on this one. Miami beat ND 37-15 in the OB in 81. It was not Kelly's last game (he played in 82 and was injured). We won it all 2 years after that ND game. I was at that ND game. Mark Richt threw a pick six in garbage time.

Also, we beat ND in the OB in 1960, 28-21. I was there for that one too.

That team was loaded...Purple People Eaters...John Gilliam...Tark...Kraus...smh
Always had an affinity for the Vikes. I guess some of that can be attributed to Foreman being there. The Purple People Eaters were an attraction themselves.

Got to see Foreman play a couple of times. I didn't get my DL until '73 so I had to depend on friends, family, or neighbors to get me to games. Attended all 5 Super Bowls in the '60's and '70's in the OB. Never will forget the one in '69 with Joe Willy holding up the #1 finger heading into the locker room after the game.

Always had an affinity for the Vikes. I guess some of that can be attributed to Foreman being there. The Purple People Eaters were an attraction themselves.

Got to see Foreman play a couple of times. I didn't get my DL until '73 so I had to depend on friends, family, or neighbors to get me to games. Attended all 5 Super Bowls in the '60's and '70's in the OB. Never will forget the one in '69 with Joe Willy holding up the #1 finger heading into the locker room after the game.
Loved John Gilliam....Dolphin fan since 73....No Superbowls...2 NCs...6 UM Bowls....Trip to Omaha 1999 to see Canes Win...

Advertisement
Loved John Gilliam....Dolphin fan since 73....No Superbowls...2 NCs...6 UM Bowls....Trip to Omaha 1999 to see Canes Win...
I'd give up all my Super Bowls to have been at one U NC! Started following the Dolphins from day one. I was fortunate in that my father was the OB stadium manager from 1960 to 1979. City "forced" him to retire in 79 because he turned 69 years old - city rule. But because they thought so highly of him, they gave him a super gig. For the next 10 years, he traveled to at least 6 NFL stadiums per year as the City Of Miami Stadiums Liason. He hated to fly, so he bought a conversion van a drove to the venues. As the NFL grew, NFL stadium managers became very prominent positions and even formed a stadium mangers association that eventually included college stadium managers.

One of my most proud moments as a Canes fan was finally whipping Notre Dame in the OB. Last game of his career Kelly hits Rodney Belk for 2 long bombs in a 31 to 14 rout.That team would miss a bowl game and put on a one game suspension. Of course the next year we would win it all.
I believe it was Rocky Belk. He passed away a while back. Very young. From the D.C. area.

http://dtjngzbrownlog.blogspot.com/2010/11/thanksgiving-tribute-rocky-belk.html?m=1

Last edited:
Advertisement
Oh yeah. I am pretty sure they were together at least one year but I think Curci moved Chuck to WR that year. Problem was we threw like five passes a game. If OJ was high school senior today, Saban would be offering him that helicopter he flys around in.
Curci did move Foreman to flanker (unused terminology today, I guess). I think Chuck had a fumbling problem. He said Coach Jon Mirilovich used to yell at him and only made it worse.

I'm old enough to remember when Mirilovich played for UM. ('57-'58).

Last edited:
You have a fuzzy memory on this one. Miami beat ND 37-15 in the OB in 81. It was not Kelly's last game (he played in 82 and was injured). We won it all 2 years after that ND game. I was at that ND game. Mark Richt threw a pick six in garbage time.

Also, we beat ND in the OB in 1960, 28-21. I was there for that one too.
Kelly's last game I think was Va Tech in Blacksburg when he separated his shoulder. Beginning of '82. He didn't play at ND in '82;
Richt did. I do think Richt might have hit Belk for a long TD in that game but we lost.

OBowl-2-lg.jpg

Curci did move Foreman to flanker (unused terminology today, I guess). I think Chuck had a fumbling problem. He said Coach Jon Mirilovich used to yell at him and only made it worse.

I'm old enough to remember when Mirilovich played for UM. ('57-'58).

Great memories man. I go back to The Stork in the mid-late '60s. Dude was incredible. Old stand up DE. He'd reach over OL and grab QBs. OL back then were about 260-270. He looked like a basketball player out there destroying them. The way he could "pluck" QBs out of the pocket was a thing of beauty. Great player for the U.

Advertisement
Back