Thank God for OJ Anderson in the 70s

Advertisement
People don't forget Chuck Foreman who went on to play with the Vikings. They were both together for a few years.

Fran Curci didn’t put them to good use, but he did tell a bunch of Gator donors that we would win NC before they won SEC. OJ was speed and moves. Then in later years in nfl he became power beast for Giants. Put him on any of our NC teams and he wins Heisman. Foreman could of too. He was unbelievable out of the backfield but we didn’t exactly throw much back then.

Advertisement
he should actually get consideration for Canton, when he retired he was up there in a lot statistical categories and IMO, that last Super Bowl he played in should've gotten him across the goal line

Ottis had 193 yard in his first NFL game. Capped off his career with Super Bowl win with the Giants and over 10,000 yards in his career.

Otis was very much an underrated NFL running back, too.

Has over 10k rushing w/ a career rushing apc at 4.0. 2 SBs and and a 2x pro bowl and low key should've been to more pro bowls but played for the sorry Cardinals and was over looked.

He and Clinton Portis may have been our two most overlooked alumni backs in the NFL that are severely underrated.

Advertisement
Maannn...Sooo underrated....That TD run in 78 (where he ran through & over 4 Gators is HOF worthy....To all Young Cane fans, he was all that...
There weren't many bright spots in the 70's but he was **** sure one of them. Saw him play several times. He was a man amongst boys.

Fast forward a few years and we have another Canes great...
aoi.jpg

Advertisement
There weren't many bright spots in the 70's but he was **** sure one of them. Saw him play several times. He was a man amongst boys.

Don Latimer (1st Round NFL '78) + Eddie Edwards (Consensus All American Defensive End, 1st Round NFL '77 3rd Pick)

Ive always held that the following anomaly could only occur at The U.

Anomaly #1: Michael Irvin is the greatest Miami Hurricane of all time. Otis Anderson is the greatest Cane to ever wear the # 47.

Advertisement
I went to my first Canes game ever because of Ottis Anderson.

My dad told me that the Canes have the best running back in the country and no one knows about him. The Dolphins are going to draft him. So we went to the Canes -San Diego State game.

The following spring I remember my dad listening to the draft in the garage on WQAM and hearing that the OA went to the Cardinals in the first round. He was ****ed.

Not to thread jack but I also feel like mentioning Chuck Foreman.

Perhaps the most Canes story about Chuck Foreman is this. He was the franchise player the Minnesota Vikings for several years. In his prime the Vikings brought in a D tackle that had just been cut from another team. That D tackle was on the field for the Florida flop. Chuck Foreman went into the GM's office and told him if they signed that guy he would retire on the spot. That gator DT was cut.

Its all about The U.

OJ in his senior year was the single best running back I ever saw here. Better than Edge, better than them all - and I've been a fan since 71. He was literally a one man show on a team with no passing game to speak of and with every defense gunning for him. His late game winning TD run on 4th down vs the Gators at Florida Field in 1978 was the single greatest run in UM history - I was there and will never forget it. The entire stadium knew who was getting the ball, and OJ took on 6 or 7 defenders and beat them all get into the corner of the end zone to win the game. It was truly the beginning of the Miami programs change of fortune. Earlier that year, late game heroics by OJ led the Canes to their first important upset of a highly ranked Auburn team - that was the first significant Canes upset I can remember.

Last edited:
Fast forward a few years and we have another Canes great...
View attachment 69112

One of my most proud moments as a Canes fan was finally whipping Notre Dame in the OB. Last game of his career Kelly hits Rodney Belk for 2 long bombs in a 31 to 14 rout.That team would miss a bowl game and put on a one game suspension. Of course the next year we would win it all.

Advertisement
Back