Thad Franklin Walked Out of Practice

Advertisement
Whoa! This one is a little over the top for me. Everything I have read about Gil since he got to Miami were positive. He couldn't find a role, but I don't think his effort was ever questioned.. until maybe recently when the PT vanished. He has his degree, and made a decision to leave, did not trash the program publicly and did not make a scene publicly on the way out. Kids make those posts all day, everyday. C'mon man!
what did your eyes tell you about Gilbert? how about his performance? if his dream was really to be a hurricane than he would have out worked other players to have a roll. Do you believe Kevin Steele and Charlie Strong don't want to play the best most deserving players?

This is obviously embarrassing and inexcusable on Franklin’s part but how would you feel if your future career prospects were being sabotaged by a group of grossly incompetent coaches?

I’m sure he had made his frustrations clear privately before this. Today was probably his breaking point. Everyone has their limit.

I hope he’s able to transfer to a program that will use his talent properly. The kid can obviously play. It’s unfortunate we have a group of coaches who can’t see that.
I don't recall him doing much with his opportunities this season. What did I miss?

everyone, the players included knew the reckoning was going to come after this season

mario nor any other coach would cut bait with players before the first season for depth purposes

thad is handling it the completely wrong way but it was probably pretty evident to the staff and to him that he was gone after the season anyways so this whole situation really doesn't change much other than give us fans and the outside world a clue that mario has his hands full with this roster

Completely wrong.

Again, I made it clear...Mario could have CUT players without consequence...and Mario could have REPLACED those players with Portal guys without having any impact under the IC rules.

Other schools have taken bigger swings with cutting players (and replacing players) with greater success, such as Southern Cal.

No, Mario did not push back "the reckoning" for a year simply for "depth purposes", when we could have signed Portal players to replace the cut players.

Certain players flat-out lied and/or regressed with their stated desire to buy into the changes that Mario is making.

Advertisement
He had the opportunity and frame to be the power back but hasn't shown he has the capability to be a power back.

His running style for whatever reason is that of a speedster/finesse back. It seems like he has the mindset of an undersized cornerback (avoid contact) but has the frame of a big linebacker. He can't run like a finesse back but tries to anyways. He goes down with the slightest touch and has absolutely no thump.
Absolutely!!!! I don't remember what game it was, but there was one play in the RedZone where he got thumped by a DB because he was trying to avoid the contact instead of playing through it.

Completely wrong.

Again, I made it clear...Mario could have CUT players without consequence...and Mario could have REPLACED those players with Portal guys without having any impact under the IC rules.

Other schools have taken bigger swings with cutting players (and replacing players) with greater success, such as Southern Cal.

No, Mario did not push back "the reckoning" for a year simply for "depth purposes", when we could have signed Portal players to replace the cut players.

Certain players flat-out lied and/or regressed with their stated desire to buy into the changes that Mario is making.
you don't take over at a new school and kick out a thad franklin without playing the season out

yeah in a perfect world we would have gotten a whole new roster before the season started but that's not how this **** works. he specifically said it was a fresh slate for the players and franklin lost a bit of weight and gave it effort in the offseason, him quitting today is 8 months later

Advertisement
I’m not a morning person myself.
4E83D5CA-CF35-4185-9E98-5325509355E6.gif

I'd suggest people temper their words.

Just because he walked off today doesn't mean he's not back tomorrow.

**** happens and ultimately they're young men who were kings of the gridiron in high school and they're just another guy until they prove otherwise at this level. They can get heated and follow that up with a regrettably rash decision.

Just a week ago Rooster was all but run off the field by most here. In a week's time he went from zero to hero in most eyes.

The board is full of player call outs… it is actually part of some posters’ schtick…unfortunately

He is not a bad player at all, he's clearly talented. The man just needs to realize he's giving everyone - himself included - 50 cents on the dollar because he's currently an unserious player. Imagine if this rhino took the game seriously? Would be a dude. Unfortunately...here we are.

This is part of the problem w/ the word “potential” in sports. Whenever u have to qualify a player w/ the word if, then there’s a good chance something is not clicking. I’ve seen many guys stay around the league way past their expiration date b/c of being qualified w/ the proverbial “if”, & that is generally predicated upon what they did in HS, College, or practice.

U gotta want it to get to that next level, & that’s in every facet of life. This was the most ideal situation Thad could’ve ever been given; RB1, RB2 out. RB3 is having some issues, so this is ur chance. All I saw from Thad was a big body kid who pu$$y footed at the line of scrimmage & get tripped up at the blow of wind. I saw a kid on short yardage either struggle to pick up the 1st or get stalled out.

Maybe he needs a fresh start elsewhere, get his mind & attitude right.

Advertisement
This is obviously embarrassing and inexcusable on Franklin’s part but how would you feel if your future career prospects were being sabotaged by a group of grossly incompetent coaches?

I’m sure he had made his frustrations clear privately before this. Today was probably his breaking point. Everyone has their limit.

I hope he’s able to transfer to a program that will use his talent properly. The kid can obviously play. It’s unfortunate we have a group of coaches who can’t see that.

Your trolling game is rusty…

He’s the perfect person to serve on your PoRster Porteling Committee

As a guy on the committee to urge certain posters to hit the portal? A guy on the committee to recruit posters from other boards already in the portal to here? Or as an actual portal candidate himself?

Last edited:
Advertisement
He had the opportunity and frame to be the power back but hasn't shown he has the capability to be a power back.

His running style for whatever reason is that of a speedster/finesse back. It seems like he has the mindset of an undersized cornerback (avoid contact) but has the frame of a big linebacker. He can't run like a finesse back but tries to anyways. He goes down with the slightest touch and has absolutely no thump.

Didn't Gus run the same way? To his credit, he's been much better in the NFL

what did your eyes tell you about Gilbert? how about his performance? if his dream was really to be a hurricane than he would have out worked other players to have a roll. Do you believe Kevin Steele and Charlie Strong don't want to play the best most deserving players?
I would outwork every single one of those players with how ridiculous of a fan I am of this damned team, and it wouldn't make a **** of difference, because I don't have nearly the talent or skills required. Unfortunately, that is the situation Frierson found himself in without a position, imo. You should tell me where you think his role is at on this defense?

I would outwork every single one of those players with how ridiculous of a fan I am of this damned team, and it wouldn't make a **** of difference, because I don't have nearly the talent or skills required. Unfortunately, that is the situation Frierson found himself in without a position, imo. You should tell me where you think his role is at on this defense?
Also, @Disgustipated, this comment came off too harsh. Just asking your thoughts at the end about where he even "could" fit in this scheme. I just don't want to see slander on a kid every one seems to like, and hasn't caused any other issues for the team.. performance aside.

they are adults, not kids.
Doesn't matter.

I wished Willie Williams well when he f-cked up more than just a potential great career.

Bottom line, in the way a lot of these kids are primadonnas in high school in South FLA (and elsewhere), they sometimes have to learn lessons at an adult age that they weren't given the chance to learn while still a youngster.

Most of them wanted to be treated and paid like pros long before they were....with that comes putting aside your love for the coach that recruited you and rolling with a new staff...

We need to weed out these that won't do that, but we can still wish them well.

Advertisement
Back