Off-Topic Texas A&M's top receiver just got arrested, facing gun + drug charges

"if you don't wanna do media day this year, just commit a couple felonies, we got you"

Edit, Redacted. It was pot smfh.

The dwi tho, get fvcked.

Advertisement
@AtlAtty - does this sound to you like a suspended sentence with X number of community hours?

I think the weed charge goes away, but what’s the bill for the DWI and the unlawful weapon?

I’m not familiar with how they prosecute this in Texas, and I understand you’re based in Georgia, but just wondering based on your experience what this ends up looking like for the player. I mean other than maybe some 1 or 2 game suspension, that’s all I see from the school, but I’m more interested in terms of any legal repercussions that may somehow affect his playing time, because just from what I know, I don’t see anything that would do that.

As a total novice, I would expect he doesn’t do a single day, and it’s more like some community service type sentence which he can do between games or over a period of a year or whatever.
Definitely. Probably some probation with community service, a fine and take some classes. And once he completes the terms the probation turns into a suspended service. The gun is potentially the biggest problem legally because in some states (unsure about Texas) possession of a firearm while also possessing marijuana makes the gun possession a felony. It is often plea bargained down to a misdemeanor but that seems to be the biggest issue.
Also, in some states, like Georgia, possession of more than an ounce of weed is still a felony. I realize how dumb this sounds even as I write it, but that is potentially 2 felonies.
Again, this will all get plea bargained down to misdemeanors, community service, a fine, possible license suspension and a 12 month term of probation which gets suspended once the terms of probation are completed. And with a good lawyer, he will complete the terms before ever pleading guilty so that once he does plead guilty the probation is immediately suspended. DWI are pretty standard sentences for 1st offense.
Long winded answer to say yes, your original thought about a suspended sentence is absolutely correct.

Definitely. Probably some probation with community service, a fine and take some classes. And once he completes the terms the probation turns into a suspended service. The gun is potentially the biggest problem legally because in some states (unsure about Texas) possession of a firearm while also possessing marijuana makes the gun possession a felony. It is often plea bargained down to a misdemeanor but that seems to be the biggest issue.
Also, in some states, like Georgia, possession of more than an ounce of weed is still a felony. I realize how dumb this sounds even as I write it, but that is potentially 2 felonies.
Again, this will all get plea bargained down to misdemeanors, community service, a fine, possible license suspension and a 12 month term of probation which gets suspended once the terms of probation are completed. And with a good lawyer, he will complete the terms before ever pleading guilty so that once he does plead guilty the probation is immediately suspended. DWI are pretty standard sentences for 1st offense.
Long winded answer to say yes, your original thought about a suspended sentence is absolutely correct.

Thanks. I realized it was going to be a challenge because Texas is a different state and all of this stuff varies from state to state, but just from a totally civilian point of view on my part, it just sounds exactly like what you said.

Advertisement
Never root to see this happen to young men
The only thing I'm rooting for is the improvement of your reading comprehension. I was just sharing the news. But now that you mention it, I am glad his drunk/high *** got taken off the road. Nothing "happened" to him - this was his doing.

Ummm we forget everything that happened in Tallahassee? Don’t ever remember their top players missing anything of significance except Jameis but that was only after media scrutiny forced his hand

Advertisement
Advertisement
You downvoted & implied that I root for bad things to happen to players.
Outsiders have know idea the workings of football in Tx. College Station takes care of local players second to none. It's amazing how good the community truly is. This is truly a non story.

Advertisement
Will miss the first offensive series of the season if A&M really takes is serious.

Advertisement
Back